talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Rating Past and Present England Managers

football forum

So how do you rate past and present England managers?

I dont know all the England managers so I'm gonna go on the ones I know.

1.Alf Ramsey. 

Won the world cup. England didn't have a very professional attitude before that so has go be number 1.

2. Gareth southagate 

Has to be number two for me. Two semi finals, won a penalty shootout, beat Germany, won in spain. Played some great football in the euro qualifiers as well. 5.0 against Czech republic, 5.1 in Montenegro, 7.0 at home to the same team. Just got the whole supporting england again.

3. Bobby Robson, reached a world cup semi final and took a very good german side to a penalty shoot out. Didnt do well in the euros though.

4.Terry venables. Again a semi final.

3. Sven Goran Eriksson. Took over a England side in a bit of a mess. Had the 5.1 in germany, beat Argentina, was generally consistent but maybe could have done better with the talent he had.

4.Fabio Capello and roy Hodgson. Find it hard to separate these two.  Both had good and bad moments. I actually though hodson did very well in euro 2012. Not a team with great talent but won their group then lost to italy. I think that was the best we could of hoped for. Then had a terrible world cup and then lost to Iceland in the euros.

Capello started of well and played some great football but then had a terrible world cup. Couldnt beat Algeria and usa then lost 4.1 to Germany 

6.Glen hoddle. We didnt do great in france 98 and then he was sacked soon after so hard to really put him any higher on then list 

7.Kevin Keegan. Really struggled to qualify then couldnt get out the group stage and gave away a 2.0 lead against portugal.

8. Graham Taylor. Didnt qualify for the world cup. Finished  bottom in euro 92. Not a great record.

9. Steve McClaren. The Wally  with the brolly. He was just terrible. Didnt qualify for euro 2008 and was sacked the day after. Just awful 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

So how do you rate past and present England managers?

I dont know all the England managers so I'm gonna go on the ones I know.

1.Alf Ramsey. 

Won the world cup. England didn't have a very professional attitude before that so has go be number 1.

2. Gareth southagate 

Has to be number two for me. Two semi finals, won a penalty shootout, beat Germany, won in spain. Played some great football in the euro qualifiers as well. 5.0 against Czech republic, 5.1 in Montenegro, 7.0 at home to the same team. Just got the whole supporting england again.

3. Bobby Robson, reached a world cup semi final and took a very good german side to a penalty shoot out. Didnt do well in the euros though.

4.Terry venables. Again a semi final.

3. Sven Goran Eriksson. Took over a England side in a bit of a mess. Had the 5.1 in germany, beat Argentina, was generally consistent but maybe could have done better with the talent he had.

4.Fabio Capello and roy Hodgson. Find it hard to separate these two.  Both had good and bad moments. I actually though hodson did very well in euro 2012. Not a team with great talent but won their group then lost to italy. I think that was the best we could of hoped for. Then had a terrible world cup and then lost to Iceland in the euros.

Capello started of well and played some great football but then had a terrible world cup. Couldnt beat Algeria and usa then lost 4.1 to Germany 

6.Glen hoddle. We didnt do great in france 98 and then he was sacked soon after so hard to really put him any higher on then list 

7.Kevin Keegan. Really struggled to qualify then couldnt get out the group stage and gave away a 2.0 lead against portugal.

8. Graham Taylor. Didnt qualify for the world cup. Finished  bottom in euro 92. Not a great record.

9. Steve McClaren. The Wally  with the brolly. He was just terrible. Didnt qualify for euro 2008 and was sacked the day after. Just awful 

Hoddle was sacked for not footballing reasons.

Venables done what was to be expected being the home team

Keegan was shocking as was McClaren they have to be the worst coaches considering they had decent players. 

8 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Hoddle was sacked for not footballing reasons.

Venables done what was to be expected being the home team

Keegan was shocking as was McClaren they have to be the worst coaches considering they had decent players. 

I know hoddle was sacked for non footballing reasons. That's why I'm going on his france 98 record. Venables was coach when we were at home I know but even taking that into account I still think he belongs where he does.

Keegan was bad but McClaren was worse in my opinion. At least he got us to a tournament. 

4 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Best one with the best record was big Sam.

Ha ha good point. 100 percent win record and no goals conceded 

Should've waited for that until after the Euros. If England actually bring it home, and beat Italy (or Spain, but I doubt it) in the final, then Southgate is surely a contender for #1. 

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Should've waited for that until after the Euros. If England actually bring it home, and beat Italy (or Spain, but I doubt it) in the final, then Southgate is surely a contender for #1. 

England fans are always premature :ph34r:

Fabio Capello would have been the worst England manager in my lifetime if it wasn't for McClaren. The football was terrible from start to finish, he had no interest in blooding youth and allowing the team to evolve. He was just a big name who in terms of managing at the elite level was past it.

Since I began watching football Gareth Southgate is top now purely by default.

Terry Vennerbles was great for his one tournament. He created a togetherness and had the tactical nous to change a game as shown against Scotland. Not sure if he would have done any better than Glenn Hoddle but still he was great for that tournament.

Glenn Hoddle is a big what if given the circumstances around his dismissal. We looked great going in to the World Cup and a lot of his brave calls seemingly worked. Seemed like a good fit at the time.

Sven-Goran Eriksson overstayed his welcome by one tournament. His squad selection for the 2006 World Cup emphasised that. Still the 2002 World Cup could be considered a success given that we were knocked out to the evidential winners and looked better than the other quarter finalists. The diamond in Euro 2004 didn't deserve the level of media criticism it got given the players at his disposal.

Roy Hodgson started well. He was thrown in the deep pit and made some big calls in his first tournament. However as the next generation of England playeea grew as a team he didn't grow with them. Iceland will unfortunately be the word everybody associates with his reign when looking back in decades time.

The most disappointing of all managers in my lifetime was Fabio Capello. Our route to the semi final was set providing we finished top of a group consisting of USA, Algeria and Slovenia. To draw to USA and Algeria with the side we had on paper was unbelievable.

The worst manager in my lifetime was Steve McLaren just based on the premise we didn't qualify for anything. Given how well Russia and Croatia ended up doing at Euro 2008 you could argue he was dealt a difficult hand which isn't the same for any other of the others.

I've left out Allardyce, Taylor and Wilkinson for obvious reasons.

5 hours ago, The Premier Steve's said:

Excluding McClaren I'd perhaps controversially put Sven last in hindsight. On paper he had the most talented starting 11 England team of all time. 

To be fair he was a bit unlucky at times. 2002 we lost to en excellent Brazil side. 2004 we had a goal wrongly disallowed. In 2006 Beckham was past his best and Rooney was carrying an injury and owen was out after the third game I think. As good as that England squad was it lacked strength in depth I think. But certainly in hindsight sven didnt do that well with what he had but also we were a mess when he took over and a mess afterwards. 

50 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

To be fair he was a bit unlucky at times. 2002 we lost to en excellent Brazil side. 2004 we had a goal wrongly disallowed. In 2006 Beckham was past his best and Rooney was carrying an injury and owen was out after the third game I think. As good as that England squad was it lacked strength in depth I think. But certainly in hindsight sven didnt do that well with what he had but also we were a mess when he took over and a mess afterwards. 

True and of course luck has to go your way, Wayne Rooney went off early to be replaced by Darius Vassell, but we shouldn't have been relying on luck. For me Euro 2004 should have been won by England on paper. 

Paper teams win paper cups as they say.

8 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Iceland will unfortunately be the word everybody associates with his reign when looking back in decades time.

Good times. 

13516190_10153726148622666_8952307489113

4 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

In 2006, with Rooney coming off an injury and Owen having missed a large portion of the season with injury, Sven took Theo Walcott. Not Darren Bent, who had finished the season as the 3rd top scorer in the EPL or Jermaine Defoe.

Bit of bad luck, but he didn't help himself.

16 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

In 2006, with Rooney coming off an injury and Owen having missed a large portion of the season with injury, Sven took Theo Walcott. Not Darren Bent, who had finished the season as the 3rd top scorer in the EPL or Jermaine Defoe.

Bit of bad luck, but he didn't help himself.

100 percent agree with you. Peter crouch actually played well in that tournament for a third choice striker. But yeah not taking either Bent or Defoe was a very strange decision. But what I mean though is its not like the team was quite as good as some remember when you take into account injuries. Losing two strikers would be hard for anyone. 

In hindsight, Sven was perhaps somewhat unlucky. Only a penalty shootout away from getting us in at least a semi final in '04 and '06, and should we have beaten Brazil in '02 on paper it looks like we could've won it. 

Looking at the squads, is there a case for saying Graham Taylor was quite unlucky? It seems on paper that Venables had a superior squad to choose from. in '92 Shearer and Sheringham hadn't reached their peak (I don't even know whether Sheringham was in contention at that time) Lineker was past his peak. No David Seaman or Tony Adams either. Gascoigne I believe was injured. 

• Subscriber

Sven's a charlatan. I'm not having him. No matter what you think about Southgate he's gotten us further in both tournaments he's had than Sven got with probably the best England squad of most of our lifetimes. I think you can't fully grade Southgate until he's left but the more it goes on, the more I think maybe it's just the right fit and he is right for this group of players and the job itself. I don't think he's some master tactician or particularly inspiring but it just seems to work. I rate how much he hasn't caved in to media pressure as well. I do think he's had a fair bit of luck, and if Denmark do beat us you're going to look back on this tournament as a huge missed opportunity, but he's probably the best since I've followed. I thought we'd have a shocking Euros and it hasn't happened.

McClaren obviously last. Total disaster.

Hodgson next. Absolutely horrendous for me. Mediocre Euro 2012 but the two tournaments that followed were a disgrace and he was incredibly lucky to even get a crack at Euro 2016. It really did put me off him. Crap squad selections, total lack of organisation throughout.

Capello was another big letdown.

I think going through this they're largely much of a muchness. I think Southgate is the first one I've really got much good to say about and that's mad considering I'm far from a big fan of his. I almost wonder if there's this instinct to bash England managers based on how frequently poor they've been and it becomes a bit of a default reaction.

The whole England set-up was absolutely ruined once Sven left. Years of cliques and divides from this so-called “golden generation”, who were actually pretty poor, left the set-up and team rotten and happened to coincide with a pretty average crop of players in the England set-up. The succession of Sven, McClaren, Capello, Hodgson and Allardyce was utterly depressing. The Daily Telegraph may well have saved the national team from further years of shit for outing Allardyce as a pint of wine drinking corrupt fool. 

• Subscriber

I'd have been intrigued to see how Allardyce did. I've said for years he's a better manager than people think he is. But could quite easily have been another Hodgson.

Archived