talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Robert Lewandowski Moves to Barcelona

PSG or Juve bound then. 

Barca can't even register Serio Roberto at the minute. He doesn't want to go to England. MLS I assume can't afford his wage demands. 

New challenge talk is always silly when they always join the top club at the league they move to. 

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's old and I always think it's risky coming to the prem as an established veteran... but if Bayern want Mane and Barca can't afford him... and he knows what playing in a Klopp side is like... I think we should at least be interested.

I know he wants Barca, but realistically they have to sell a player that doesn't want to go or sell a player they don't want to get rid of.

• Subscriber
50 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He's old and I always think it's risky coming to the prem as an established veteran... but if Bayern want Mane and Barca can't afford him... and he knows what playing in a Klopp side is like... I think we should at least be interested.

I know he wants Barca, but realistically they have to sell a player that doesn't want to go or sell a player they don't want to get rid of.

I know swap deals never happen but it sounds so intriguing doesnt it? If he can be anywhere near his current level for even 2 more seasons it kind of fits your timeline, no?

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

It would never happen because it goes totally against our transfer policy... but I'd love to take him for a season or two. 

Tbf Thiago went against our transfer policy as well. Typically we don't sign players that are "established" at big clubs and performing well on a big stage, especially under FSG's reign. We typically look to sign players that fit the profile of looking like they've got a lot of potential and are either in their "peak years" or about to enter them.

Thiago kind of went against all that. Established player that had done well at big clubs, in the latter years of his career.

I think any club would be crazy to snub Lewandowski, even though he's 34(?) - the guy is class. I think there'd obviously be worries of how quickly he can settle into a new league... but I think he'd do well most places.

57 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

I know swap deals never happen but it sounds so intriguing doesnt it? If he can be anywhere near his current level for even 2 more seasons it kind of fits your timeline, no?

I imagine we'd have to give you some cash as well.

It seems like you gave us a sort of cut price deal on Thiago so in turn you'll be getting one for Mane. And when I say "cut price" I more mean "something relatively sensible in this era of silly transfer fees considering it's a world class player but with only one year left on contract" instead of something like PSG pulled with Mbappe. The players seem to both want new challenges and know where they want to go, and it seems Bayern and Liverpool have no interest in being irritating to each other (which probably goes against Klopp's instincts xD).

But I can't see Mane & Lewandowski just swapping clubs with no cash also going your way. They're both World Class... but only one of them was seriously considered for the Balon d'Or - because I think Lewandowski is just an incredible striker.

But with Mane, you'll be getting a man who's world class on the wings and also looks fucking brilliant as a central striker too. I think he'll do really well if (well, tbh it seems inevitable now) he does join you.

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I imagine we'd have to give you some cash as well.

It seems like you gave us a sort of cut price deal on Thiago so in turn you'll be getting one for Mane. And when I say "cut price" I more mean "something relatively sensible in this era of silly transfer fees considering it's a world class player but with only one year left on contract" instead of something like PSG pulled with Mbappe. The players seem to both want new challenges and know where they want to go, and it seems Bayern and Liverpool have no interest in being irritating to each other (which probably goes against Klopp's instincts xD).

But I can't see Mane & Lewandowski just swapping clubs with no cash also going your way. They're both World Class... but only one of them was seriously considered for the Balon d'Or - because I think Lewandowski is just an incredible striker.

But with Mane, you'll be getting a man who's world class on the wings and also looks fucking brilliant as a central striker too. I think he'll do really well if (well, tbh it seems inevitable now) he does join you.

By all accounts thats what Ive been reading as well about the prices. We basically gave no hassle on the Thiago sale and I think it ended up being even less then an already steal which was reported initially at €30m If memory serves, so yeah that makes sense. Sensible clubs with mutual respect should see no issues either way how this plays out, the Klopp factor is funny though. 

I agree 100% though on Mane I think its actually the perfect fit. its the perfect replacement/upgrade on Gnabry as well as hes stalled contract talks. Very likely we would move him on if this does come to fruition. I do have the feeling we will likely buy a striker as well if Lewy does go though.

2 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Very likely we would move him on if this does come to fruition. I do have the feeling we will likely buy a striker as well if Lewy does go though.

That's probably true, but I also think in the future (the not too distant future), Mane will probably transition to being more of a central player than a wide attacker. I think he wants to play more centrally because that's where he plays internationally more often than not. He's also REALLY good in the centre (which I was honestly a bit surprised by because he's just so good out wide, I wasn't sure how well it would translate).

Honestly, a very complete attacking player. Any club would be lucky to have Sadio, I know this because we've been lucky to have him. He's a great player, I'm sad he's likely on his way out but I wish him all the best wherever he ends up*

*unless it's another English club in which case, I love him for being a Liverpool legend but I'll hope he's a bit more shit than he would be if he goes anywhere else.

I'm also pretty sure he's joining Bayern though xD

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I do think this is bullshit. Established players who are good elsewhere aren't anymore risky than buying another prem veteran. For every Van Persie there's an Ibrahimovic, for every Higuain there's a Fernando Torres. 

28 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I do think this is bullshit. Established players who are good elsewhere aren't anymore risky than buying another prem veteran. For every Van Persie there's an Ibrahimovic, for every Higuain there's a Fernando Torres. 

Morientes, Shevchenko and probably a shitloads other tell a different story.

I think it’s easy for established players who are used to one league to make a move to clubs in the same league. I think it’s a bit different when they change leagues though.

It happens to people in every profession tbh, spend too long in one environment and you don’t adapt as quickly when you move to another. It’s normal.

Having said that, I don’t think there’s a big difference between playing against shitloads of low blocks in Germany and shitloads of low blocks in England, so Lewa would probably be fine.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Morientes, Shevchenko and probably a shitloads other tell a different story.

That wasn't my point. My point was, yes, lots of foreign established players move and suck, but LOTS of local ones do too, but no one seems to call it out. 

Torres, Lukaku, Balotelli, Benteke, Carroll and so on. Plenty of established prem strikers blow cock when signed for a big club. 

30 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

That wasn't my point. My point was, yes, lots of foreign established players move and suck, but LOTS of local ones do too, but no one seems to call it out. 

Torres, Lukaku, Balotelli, Benteke, Carroll and so on. Plenty of established prem strikers blow cock when signed for a big club. 

Torres was physically on the decline when Chelsea signed him. And he went from a side built around him to where he was meant to have a supporting role while still being able to sprint like he couldn’t anymore.

Players like him or Joe Cole failing when they’re totally passed it I think is different from just not adapting leagues. Lukaku is a great example - looked not quite good enough for a big club in England, looked fantastic in Serie A, comes back to England and is underwhelming again.

Balotelli’s just a dickhead xD - he’s done well at big clubs and failed at big clubs, and then done the same with small clubs. Talented as fuck, bad attitude for a pro. I think that’s a different story entirely.

Carroll & Benteke I think just weren’t good enough for big clubs tbh.

Some players do well at other clubs or other leagues. Like Lukaku looked world class at Inter and a donkey in England. Robbie Keane at Spurs was great, Robbie Keane at Liverpool was sort of a joke.

48 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Torres was physically on the decline when Chelsea signed him. And he went from a side built around him to where he was meant to have a supporting role while still being able to sprint like he couldn’t anymore.

Players like him or Joe Cole failing when they’re totally passed it I think is different from just not adapting leagues. Lukaku is a great example - looked not quite good enough for a big club in England, looked fantastic in Serie A, comes back to England and is underwhelming again.

Balotelli’s just a dickhead xD - he’s done well at big clubs and failed at big clubs, and then done the same with small clubs. Talented as fuck, bad attitude for a pro. I think that’s a different story entirely.

Carroll & Benteke I think just weren’t good enough for big clubs tbh.

Some players do well at other clubs or other leagues. Like Lukaku looked world class at Inter and a donkey in England. Robbie Keane at Spurs was great, Robbie Keane at Liverpool was sort of a joke.

You can make all the same individual remarks about visiting players too. Doesn't defeat my point. Sky has just convinced you that the prem is a magical wonderland.

2 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

You can make all the same individual remarks about visiting players too. Doesn't defeat my point. Sky has just convinced you that the prem is a magical wonderland.

No they haven’t there are players that have done well in England and done shite in other leagues xD

I think you’re trying to make a point about Sky marketing, so I defeated your point because I’m not talking about Sky marketing at all.

If you want to disagree with me that some players don’t adjust to other leagues as well, fine - but you’re wrong. And there have been a lot of instances where players struggle after making a big move.

Look at Messi ffs and he plays for Qatar in Ligue 1. There you go, an example that doesn’t use the premier league or Sky.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

No they haven’t there are players that have done well in England and done shite in other leagues xD

I think you’re trying to make a point about Sky marketing, so I defeated your point because I’m not talking about Sky marketing at all.

If you want to disagree with me that some players don’t adjust to other leagues as well, fine - but you’re wrong. And there have been a lot of instances where players struggle after making a big move.

Look at Messi ffs and he plays for Qatar in Ligue 1. There you go, an example that doesn’t use the premier league or Sky.

I do agree that there are some players that don't adjust well to other leagues. I just don't think England is special in that regard, and I think the failures of home talents elevated to top teams are ignored or excuses are made in favor of blasting players who moved across and it didn't work out 

8 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I do agree that there are some players that don't adjust well to other leagues. I just don't think England is special in that regard, and I think the failures of home talents elevated to top teams are ignored or excuses are made in favor of blasting players who moved across and it didn't work out 

Yeah no shit it’s not just England.

This argument has been like if I say going into the ocean makes you wet and you’re telling me it’s not just the Atlantic that gets you wet.

Also who cares about non-domestic players that haven’t done it at the top level playing in the context of Lewandowski (done it at the top level in Germany) moving away from Germany?

18 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

It would never happen because it goes totally against our transfer policy... but I'd love to take him for a season or two. 

Tbh I don't know if I believe that Diaz and Jota are at the level mentally that Salah and Mane are to propel you in the direction that you have been going these last few years. Someone like Lewy would absolutely bridge that gap for a few years and when he gets too old you still have Diaz and Jota with years ahead of them.

• The title was changed to Robert Lewandowski Moves to Barcelona

Archived