talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Luis Diaz - Joins Liverpool from Porto

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It makes sense for Liverpool to look at a winger this transfer window thats quick and hard working that can be moulded to Klopp's system. I'm sure the contract matters with the front three will get resolved in 2023 but for over the next 18 months they do need players to challenge them to limit how much they rely on them. Similar to what Diogo Jota has done by deputising for Mane and Firmino. 

If he is a winger as opposed to a wide forward I imagine will see more of 'inverted wingback' Trent which is great for the neutral. The evolution of that position is nuts. To think in the naughties you could win the Champions League with Wes Brown playing right back. 

3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

If he is a winger as opposed to a wide forward I imagine will see more of 'inverted wingback' Trent which is great for the neutral. The evolution of that position is nuts. To think in the naughties you could win the Champions League with Wes Brown playing right back. 

Yes that was won by penalties against Avram Grant's Chelsea.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

If he is a winger as opposed to a wide forward I imagine will see more of 'inverted wingback' Trent which is great for the neutral. The evolution of that position is nuts.

It's a shame Southgate can't find a way to get him in the side and utilise his strengths. 

• Subscriber

We had this very close to being done in the summer with Rodriguez heading the other way but Porto didn't like his wage demands and the deal fell through.

Player that Everton missed out on by a whisker and ends up going to Liverpool? He'll have won the Ballon D'Or by 2025.

9 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

We had this very close to being done in the summer with Rodriguez heading the other way but Porto didn't like his wage demands and the deal fell through.

Player that Everton missed out on by a whisker and ends up going to Liverpool? He'll have won the Ballon D'Or by 2025.

We were also interested in him in the summer but the price quoted in the summer was for some reason much higher (about double) than what he's going for now. And FSG I think were reluctant to spend that much. Seems weird from Porto's perspective, most clubs usually demand a premium in the January window.

Lots of the trusted LFC journos were saying we'd be back in for him next summer. Seems Spurs' desire to bring him to North London and the price quoted there was enough for the club to decide to make a move for him earlier.

Not complaining, mind you. He looks like a very talented player every time I've seen him. So getting him cheaper is better.

45 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Really hope Liverpool get this over the line primarily because signing him would hopefully cool their interest in Raphinha.

Play different positions don't they? 

This signing would indicate that Salah is staying to me so we wouldn't be interested in a player for the right of the front three anyway. Either way you have nothing to worry about I don't think.

This is what happens when you bide your time and are diligent in the transfer market. No Townsend or Rondon on the books, just a potentially world class winger to push Mane.

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Really hope Liverpool get this over the line primarily because signing him would hopefully cool their interest in Raphinha.

Right footed, most likely to push Mane. If they have the money I don’t see why they’d hold off on going for Raphinha. You just gotta hope they don’t have the money and that if they do they’ll put it towards another area of the pitch.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Danny said:

This is what happens when you bide your time and are diligent in the transfer market. No Townsend or Rondon on the books, just a potentially world class winger to push Mane.

Right footed, most likely to push Mane. If they have the money I don’t see why they’d hold off on going for Raphinha. You just gotta hope they don’t have the money and that if they do they’ll put it towards another area of the pitch.

What are you trying to say?

2 minutes ago, Storts said:

Absolutely hilarious 

The positives of it is that it means Spurs are looking at the right players,  good players are often in high demand.

See Sevilla gave you the invisible force field that is them not even talking about Diego Carlos,  may as well walk away from that one it's not happening. 

23 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

The positives of it is that it means Spurs are looking at the right players,  good players are often in high demand.

See Sevilla gave you the invisible force field that is them not even talking about Diego Carlos,  may as well walk away from that one it's not happening. 

Ha I’m not sure we are tbh mate. It’s a complete scattergun approach. Don’t think Paratici knows what he’s doing. Diaz is a fantastic player but about as far from what we need right now as possible. He plays Sons position, and we have so many other weaknesses. 

And yeah no chance on that either, Sevilla always difficult to deal with. Tbh don’t think a CB is priority now either. Need a CM, RWB and a forward in before Tuesday but can see us getting one maybe two at most 

1 minute ago, Storts said:

Ha I’m not sure we are tbh mate. It’s a complete scattergun approach. Don’t think Paratici knows what he’s doing. Diaz is a fantastic player but about as far from what we need right now as possible. He plays Sons position, and we have so many other weaknesses. 

And yeah no chance on that either, Sevilla always difficult to deal with. Tbh don’t think a CB is priority now either. Need a CM, RWB and a forward in before Tuesday but can see us getting one maybe two at most 

I wouldn't mind taking Dele Alli and Joe Rodon from you,  but Daniel Levy has almost completely burned any bridges to that happening. 

• The title was changed to Luis Diaz - Joins Liverpool from Porto
14 minutes ago, Stan said:

That can't be true, surely? 

It’s from the main football editor of the torygraph so it’s truthfulness is very much in the air.

But I want it to be true because the idea of him being enraged about doing something he’s done to us is funny as fuck 

Archived