talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mason Greenwood

28 minutes ago, Spike said:

This is exactly why I never get player’s names on jerseys 

I haven't bought a shirt in years & I don't think I will (at least not cheapo replicas - and honestly then I'm gonna go for something that's a bit cooler like 90s era kits with players from that era) unless I have kids. As a kid I probably wasted an unreal amount of my parents' money asking the shirts... but kids love their heroes and they love their shirts. If I was buying a shirt just to show my support, I'd probably get a t-shirt or something than a matchday shirt... I just think the price of them is outrageous - so if I was buying one I also wouldn't get the name.

But I feel for my pal who had an awkward discussion with his kid about their then favourite player and why he had to take his xmas present away from him. And I think the kid's too young to really fully grasp something like his hero being a rapist piece of shit. I dunno, I don't have kids but if I did and their hero had done something like this I imagine it would be tough.

It's easy for me, an adult who thinks that a lot of these players are dickheads in real life because they're basically adult children with more money than the ability to understand things like accountability and consequences, to not think of too many players as role models. But I remember being a kid and absolutely having some of these players as heroes I looked up to. Rightly or wrongly they're role models to a lot of kids.

I think in the grand scheme of things, with his crimes being heinous, it's really not all that important as the fact he's a rapist but... he's an absolute dickhead for acting like this while so many kids probably looked up to him and loved them

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

download (1).png

download.png

Haven't quite a few big United players ended up playing for City in their careers though? Peter Schmeichel, Andy Cole, Owen Hargreaves (lol maybe a stretch to call him a "big" player), and probably others.

It's not like Liverpool-United where we've had no transfers between us in something mental like 50 or 60 years, and when Heinze wanted to join us from United, Ferguson was not having any of it.

• Subscriber

I love looking back on my collection of kits and the different legends of different era's. Super nostalgic and I dont think id have the same reaction if they where blank tbh.  I hadn't bought a new one in probably 6 or so years but I had to get a Lewy kit when he broke Gerd's record. 

24 minutes ago, Cicero said:

In the chance they end up a rapist?

Amusing that people found that funny.
Because Pat Rice nearly killed a woman in a domestic violence dispute
Michael Vick would torture animals
Bobby Hull is a violent alcoholic that would beat his wife with steel-tipped stiletto shoes
OJ Simpson murdered two people
Ray Lewis paid someone to murder his wife and unborn child
Aaron Hernandez murdered two people
Patrick Kluivert killed someone in a hit and run
Dany Heatley killed someone in vehicular homicide
Jose Canseco is an insanely violent man
That one Brazilian goalkeeper murdered his girlfriend and fed her to his dogs

And that is just in sports with named jerseys.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

I love looking back on my collection of kits and the different legends of different era's. Super nostalgic and I dont think id have the same reaction if they where blank tbh.  I hadn't bought a new one in probably 6 or so years but I had to get a Lewy kit when he broke Gerd's record. 

You also wouldn't have the same reaction looking at a Bobby Hull jersey knowing he used to beat his wife and threaten her with a shotgun, and now gets around the UC on a litttle rascal harassing women.

But I still see children wearing a Hull 9 jersey when I go to the games.

Bobby Hull Sculpture in perfect rim light Photograph by Sven Brogren

43 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I haven't bought a shirt in years & I don't think I will (at least not cheapo replicas - and honestly then I'm gonna go for something that's a bit cooler like 90s era kits with players from that era) unless I have kids. As a kid I probably wasted an unreal amount of my parents' money asking the shirts... but kids love their heroes and they love their shirts. If I was buying a shirt just to show my support, I'd probably get a t-shirt or something than a matchday shirt... I just think the price of them is outrageous - so if I was buying one I also wouldn't get the name.

But I feel for my pal who had an awkward discussion with his kid about their then favourite player and why he had to take his xmas present away from him. And I think the kid's too young to really fully grasp something like his hero being a rapist piece of shit. I dunno, I don't have kids but if I did and their hero had done something like this I imagine it would be tough.

It's easy for me, an adult who thinks that a lot of these players are dickheads in real life because they're basically adult children with more money than the ability to understand things like accountability and consequences, to not think of too many players as role models. But I remember being a kid and absolutely having some of these players as heroes I looked up to. Rightly or wrongly they're role models to a lot of kids.

I think in the grand scheme of things, with his crimes being heinous, it's really not all that important as the fact he's a rapist but... he's an absolute dickhead for acting like this while so many kids probably looked up to him and loved them

To expand on this, how many players are just forgiven because they are good at sports?

Roy Keane explicitly attacked another person and broke their leg in several places. That is aggravated assualt
Luis Suarez has bitten people many times. Not only weird but assualt
Ben Roethlisberger is probably a date rapist, but he won two superbowls
Cristiano Ronaldo payed off several women for anal rape ffs
Kobe Bryant might be a rapist but people get annoyed when you bring that up.
Peyton Manning sexually assaulted someone in university but he is a good christian boy that throws balls good.
Duncan Ferguson repeated assault charges is someone that Everton fans celebrate even though he is essentially Joey Barton 0.9
Tyreek Hill choked his two year old son, best receiver in the NFL
Kareem Hunt punted a woman's head
Diego Maradona was a cocaine addict that wouldn't acknowledge an illegitimate son of his, that's fucked.
Mike Tyson went to jail for rape.

All these guys have pretty good PR and are seen in a positive light in the media.

Edited by Spike
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

To expand on this, how many players are just forgiven because they are good at sports?

Roy Keane explicitly attacked another person and broke their leg in several places. That is aggravated assualt
Luis Suarez has bitten people many times. Not only weird but assualt
Ben Roethlisberger is probably a date rapist, but he won two superbowls
Kobe Bryant might be a rapist but people get annoyed when you bring that up.
Peyton Manning sexually assaulted someone in university but he is a good christian boy that throws balls good.
Duncan Ferguson repeated assault charges is someone that Everton fans celebrate even though he is essentially Joey Barton 0.9
Tyreek Hill choked his two year old son, best receiver in the NFL
Kareem Hunt punted a woman's head
Diego Maradona was a cocaine addict that wouldn't acknowledge an illegitimate son of his, that's fucked.
Mike Tyson went to jail for rape.

All these guys have pretty good PR and are seen in a positive light in the media.

Maradona's also allegedly a rapist, but still got his name on Napoli's stadium after that news came out because he's maybe the greatest ever.

• Wow 1

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Spike said:

You also wouldn't have the same reaction looking at a Bobby Hull jersey knowing he used to beat his wife and threaten her with a shotgun, and now gets around the UC on a litttle rascal harassing women.

But I still see children wearing a Hull 9 jersey when I go to the games.

Bobby Hull Sculpture in perfect rim light Photograph by Sven Brogren

Completely true. Even when Kesler had the bad press here and left on fairly rough terms I would not wear his jersey anywhere in public. That being said I have several Canucks jerseys to choose from.. even since then Kesler's redeemed himself here pretty good. As far as Bobby Hull and Greenwood type comparissons this is a very very small percentage of pro's that this happens with I wouldnt let that discourage me knowing that it could be possible with anyone though.

2 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Completely true. Even when Kesler had the bad press here and left on fairly rough terms I would not wear his jersey anywhere in public. That being said I have several Canucks jerseys to choose from.. even since then Kesler's redeemed himself here pretty good. As far as Bobby Hull and Greenwood type comparissons this is a very very small percentage of pro's that this happens with I wouldnt let that discourage me knowing that it could be possible with anyone though.

Mate as if. I thought the Blackhawks were fine until the rape coverup. Nobody knew because it was buried and covered, you think that these things are once in a while? No, they happen all the time, and it wouldn't surprise me if every single team had this issue. I refuse to believe that the Canucks or Bayern have never turned a blind eye to internal happenings, I refuse to believe they are 'innocent until proven guilty' when so many atrocities are hidden in plain sight.

Your team just recently had TWO players that have been accused to sexual assault. Jake Virtanen and Reid Boucher. Small percentage my bum, mate. This is only the things we know.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Mate as if. I thought the Blackhawks were fine until the rape coverup. Nobody knew because it was buried and covered, you think that these things are once in a while? No, they happen all the time, and it wouldn't surprise me if every single team had this issue. I refuse to believe that the Canucks or Bayern have never turned a blind eye to internal happenings, I refuse to believe they are 'innocent until proven guilty' when so many atrocities are hidden in plain sight.

Your team just recently had TWO players that have been accused to sexual assault. Jake Virtanen and Reid Boucher. Small percentage my bum, mate. This is only the things we know.

And how many players are we talking about total as a sample size? any pro in any sport peirod for the last 50 years? yea I gurantee theres more then we know about but lets not get carried away. Even if its 50x more then we know about youre still talking about a very very very small percentage of the overall pool of athletes. Ill continue buying kits/jerseys of idols without flinching or thinking twice you carry and doing you man. 

Just now, Viva la FCB said:

And how many players are we talking about total as a sample size? any pro in any sport peirod for the last 50 years? yea I gurantee theres more then we know about but lets not get carried away. Even if its 50x more then we know about youre still talking about a very very very small percentage of the overall pool of athletes. Ill continue buying kits/jerseys of idols without flinching or thinking twice you carry and doing you man. 

Two rapist in five years is a bit too high for me.  50x larger would be 100 rapists.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Spike said:

Two rapist in five years is a bit too high for me.  50x larger would be 100 rapists.

Where does 5 years come from? because we've found out in the last five years? I could go through the lists and see how many different players the Canucks have had in the last 5 years if you want that comparison percentage wise.  I dont disagree that their pieces of shit and im not trying to discount what they've done at all, infact Virtanen didnt surprise me at all knowing what we do know about him and the story (even before...it broke hes now been formally charged on rape) sounded completely plausible. Even then If i had a Virtanen jersey as an example... Id just get the lettering removed or covered up or get rid of the jersey and move on. 

1 minute ago, Viva la FCB said:

Where does 5 years come from? because we've found out in the last five years? I could go through the lists and see how many different players the Canucks have had in the last 5 years if you want that comparison percentage wise.  I dont disagree that their pieces of shit and im not trying to discount what they've done at all, infact Virtanen didnt surprise me at all knowing what we do know about him and the story (even before...it broke hes now been formally charged on rape) sounded completely plausible. Even then If i had a Virtanen jersey as an example... Id just get the lettering removed or covered up or get rid of the jersey and move on. 

Because that is the time frame of having both Virtanen and Boucher. I'm not even talking about owning jerseys any more, this is a problem in elite sports across the world and so much gets swept under the rug. I think you hugely dismiss how much of a huge problem this is, and that is part of the problem with the culture, people don't want to know, people dismiss it, and move on.  You think it is a tiny percentage, I think it is a huge percentage and major problem, a problem of those we know about, those forgotten, and those in hiding. 

How many people are complicit and guilty in the CHL hazing scandals? The amount of now NFL players who have had issues in college/high school that are just swept under the rug? The violent drinking culture in Australia rugby league? In some areas of sports you'd have a hard time finding someone that isn't maladjusted.

I can keep coming up with examples, they won't stop. I can sit here for the rest of the years bringing up recent and historical incidents involving professional athletes from across the planet. Tomorrow there will be a new incident, next week there will be a scandal.

I did some counting and unless I missed some players the Canucks have had 97 players since 2015. Two accused on assault, so 2.06%. If you were to extrapolate those numbers to the general population of America 2.06% which is 330,000,000, it would be 6,798,000. So for me, even though 2.06% sounds low, I think it actually far too high.

All I'm saying is that this happens far too often, more often than it should and it shouldn't be dismissed as a small percentage.

Edited by Spike

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, Spike said:

Because that is the time frame of having both Virtanen and Boucher. I'm not even talking about owning jerseys any more, this is a problem in elite sports across the world and so much gets swept under the rug. I think you hugely dismiss how much of a huge problem this is, and that is part of the problem with the culture, people don't want to know, people dismiss it, and move on.  You think it is a tiny percentage, I think it is a huge percentage and major problem, a problem of those we know about, those forgotten, and those in hiding.

How many people are complicit and guilty in the CHL hazing scandals? The amount of now NFL players who have had issues in college/high school that are just swept under the rug? The violent drinking culture in Australia rugby league? In some areas of sports you'd have a hard time finding someone that isn't maladjusted.

I can keep coming up with examples, they won't stop. I can sit here for the rest of the years bringing up recent and historical incidents involving professional athletes from across the planet. Tomorrow there will be a new incident, next week there will be a scandal.

Tbf Boucher has been with how many NHL teams since the incidents though? 3 if memory serves, it might even be more and is currently in the KHL I think? and the incident took place in junior or was it WHL I forget but it was a billit situation. Either way I wouldnt pin this on the Canucks is my point. I was only talking about in regards to jerseys and kits and names... thays why I said Im not downplaying what they did at all your talking about a different arguement now and i dont disagree its a massive problem overall. Im sure you saw Rocky Wirtz blow up by now and that right there is the exact person you do not want in charge of anything that was such a softball of a question and one he absolutely should have known was coming and he handled that in the literal worst way possible. Change needs to start at the top that was a very dinosaur response. 

6 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Tbf Boucher has been with how many NHL teams since the incidents though? 3 if memory serves, it might even be more and is currently in the KHL I think? and the incident took place in junior or was it WHL I forget but it was a billit situation. Either way I wouldnt pin this on the Canucks is my point. I was only talking about in regards to jerseys and kits and names... thays why I said Im not downplaying what they did at all your talking about a different arguement now and i dont disagree its a massive problem overall. Im sure you saw Rocky Wirtz blow up by now and that right there is the exact person you do not want in charge of anything that was such a softball of a question and one he absolutely should have known was coming and he handled that in the literal worst way possible. Change needs to start at the top that was a very dinosaur response. 

Blaming the Canucks wasn't my point, just the fact he was there, and as you mentioned he has been on other teams, and even in different leagues further highlights my point of it being an issue that is ignored largely. However they are complicit by overlooking the incident and employing him.

I don't idolise athletes, I admire their skill but as people I disconnect and have very few that I have an affinity for. That is why I very rarely have a compulsion of buying a named jersey and to this point I've only done so once because it was on sale and even then I never wear it. I don't know these people, I have seen their skill but for the most part it makes me uncomfortable wearing a jersey with someone's name on it because I have no idea on the value of their character; and given recent history there is a high chance they are of unsavoury stock.

• Upvote 1

Many people don't understand, @Spike So I'll tell the forum a little story. 

Once upon a time, Young Daniel didn't watch much 'soccer' he watched the NRL (rugby league). The most popular sport on Australias east coast. 
I idolized players of all colors and backgrounds. The game is played mainly by whites, Pacific Islanders and Maoris, Australian/middle eastern mixed ethnicity and aboriginal Australians. Most growing up in disadvantaged areas of cities. 

However, scandal after scandal after scandal occurred. Every other week someone was in the paper for allegations of domestic violence, violence, drug abuse, sexual assault and so on. So my young self asked my step father about it. He didn't watch the games ever. And he told me the truth of the matter. 

These athletes are mostly from poor upbringings in shite areas, both rural and metropolitan. Most of them never finished school, because they were marked for athletic greatness. All the friends and family still live in the conditions they were raised in, and thus the players are all still products of that environment, both historically and ongoingly. 

"If they didn't play NRL, they'd be on the dole, shelf stackers or in prison" And he wasn't fucking wrong. 

This is played out to a smaller extent in football, which has far more middle and upper class participation. But it's still very much a thing, and the middle and upper class aren't exactly infallible when it comes to things such as domestic abuse and sexual assault. 

Phil Foden tried to breach quarantine to run a train on some young birds. He put the whole teams health at risk, and spat on his missus and kid, so he could dip his wick. He is a hero to millions. That's fucked up, and that is a case where he hasn't done much wrong comparatively to someone who's domestically abusive or commits sexual assault. 

Athletes are by and large, a bunch of deadset fuckwits, Gucci bag gangsters, and shouldn't be placed on a social pedestal. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Many people don't understand, @Spike So I'll tell the forum a little story. 

Once upon a time, Young Daniel didn't watch much 'soccer' he watched the NRL (rugby league). The most popular sport on Australias east coast. 
I idolized players of all colors and backgrounds. The game is played mainly by whites, Pacific Islanders and Maoris, Australian/middle eastern mixed ethnicity and aboriginal Australians. Most growing up in disadvantaged areas of cities. 

However, scandal after scandal after scandal occurred. Every other week someone was in the paper for allegations of domestic violence, violence, drug abuse, sexual assault and so on. So my young self asked my step father about it. He didn't watch the games ever. And he told me the truth of the matter. 

These athletes are mostly from poor upbringings in shite areas, both rural and metropolitan. Most of them never finished school, because they were marked for athletic greatness. All the friends and family still live in the conditions they were raised in, and thus the players are all still products of that environment, both historically and ongoingly. 

"If they didn't play NRL, they'd be on the dole, shelf stackers or in prison" And he wasn't fucking wrong. 

This is played out to a smaller extent in football, which has far more middle and upper class participation. But it's still very much a thing, and the middle and upper class aren't exactly infallible when it comes to things such as domestic abuse and sexual assault. 

Phil Foden tried to breach quarantine to run a train on some young birds. He put the whole teams health at risk, and spat on his missus and kid, so he could dip his wick. He is a hero to millions. That's fucked up, and that is a case where he hasn't done much wrong comparatively to someone who's domestically abusive or commits sexual assault. 

Athletes are by and large, a bunch of deadset fuckwits, Gucci bag gangsters, and shouldn't be placed on a social pedestal. 

I have the exact same impression from my youth. Exactly the same. I will say that despite everything else, there is very little to no racism in NRL, it's purely relegated to the AFL.

surprised he seems to have been released on bail. so has bissouma and he is playing even though no one is quite sure how bad/what he did in that nightclub. sure mason wont play again but united have to make a decision before he is officially charged i guess.

On 03/02/2022 at 18:19, Spike said:

Amusing that people found that funny.
Because Pat Rice nearly killed a woman in a domestic violence dispute
Michael Vick would torture animals
Bobby Hull is a violent alcoholic that would beat his wife with steel-tipped stiletto shoes
OJ Simpson murdered two people
Ray Lewis paid someone to murder his wife and unborn child
Aaron Hernandez murdered two people
Patrick Kluivert killed someone in a hit and run
Dany Heatley killed someone in vehicular homicide
Jose Canseco is an insanely violent man
That one Brazilian goalkeeper murdered his girlfriend and fed her to his dogs

And that is just in sports with named jerseys.

Glove didn't fit.

• Haha 2