talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mason Greenwood

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's behind a paywall - can they sack him?

So, United could theoretically sack Greenwood and sue him? 

Yes, and there is a precedent, although, in his very next breath, Dr Ioannidis added he thought it was very unlikely that United would pursue Greenwood for damages.

The potential precedent is what happened to Adrian Mutu after he was sacked by Chelsea in October 2004 for testing positive for cocaine. The Romania striker received a seven-month anti-doping ban, which gave Chelsea grounds to rip up his contract. Mutu served his ban, returned to Italian football, where he had made his reputation before joining Chelsea, and enjoyed a renaissance with Florence club Fiorentina.

But, in the meantime, Chelsea sued him for the £22.6 million they spent on Shaun Wright-Phillips, his replacement, in July 2005. FIFA’s dispute resolution chamber disagreed with Chelsea’s argument on the replacement cost but agreed that Mutu owed the club about £15 million, the value left on his contract with them before he was sacked.

Mutu disagreed, and the case went to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in 2015 and then the European Court of Human Rights three years later. The player lost on every occasion, but there is no indication he has paid Chelsea a penny of those damages.

Greenwood signed a new four-year contract with United last February. It was reported to be worth in the region of £5 million a year, which means there is about £15 million left on it.

However, none of the lawyers consulted can see United following Chelsea’s example in the Mutu case.

“I would distinguish between the two cases, as Mutu was convicted of an anti-doping offence,” says Dr Ioannidis. “And suing a player for his ‘resale’ value would be a long and hard process, and these could be monetary remedies that United may never be able to recover.”

Parmar concurs, saying the resulting legal fight could just drag out the whole process — and therefore the reputational damage — even longer.

So, what can we say for sure about Greenwood’s future as a footballer?

Well, this is where sensible folk like lawyers move off the record.

The consensus is he is finished at United unless a credible explanation can be offered that puts what we have all seen and heard in a very different light.

That may happen but nobody we consulted for this piece thinks it would be enough to guarantee a resumption of his career at Old Trafford. Not in the short to medium term, anyway, which suggests a loan or even a sale, probably abroad, could be a solution.

But if Greenwood cannot provide a credible explanation, the pendulum swings back towards a termination of his contract, and then we return to the various scenarios listed above, which hinge on the outcome of a trial.

We did not only speak to lawyers for this piece and one former player, who still works in a senior role in the game, put it like this:  “It’s going to be a lawyer-fest and could get very, very messy.”

That's the last 2 paragraphs. There's several more boring ones before that.
Edited by JoshBRFC
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

They didn't pay a fee for him and I don't see how they can sue him for wages that they haven't paid him yet especially if they tear up the contract. It seems ridiculous.

As mentioned though, there is the Mutu case where Chelsea did majorly fuck Mutu over and that was over a non-performance enhancing drug so who knows what lawyers can make happen. Think it was extremely wrong in that situation and even though this case regarding Greenwood has him more as the bad guy, I still don't think Man Utd should go looking for damages. They just need to wait and see the outcome and see if the decision to terminate his contract is basically taken out of their hands.

50 minutes ago, 6666 said:

They didn't pay a fee for him and I don't see how they can sue him for wages that they haven't paid him yet especially if they tear up the contract. It seems ridiculous.

As mentioned though, there is the Mutu case where Chelsea did majorly fuck Mutu over and that was over a non-performance enhancing drug so who knows what lawyers can make happen. Think it was extremely wrong in that situation and even though this case regarding Greenwood has him more as the bad guy, I still don't think Man Utd should go looking for damages. They just need to wait and see the outcome and see if the decision to terminate his contract is basically taken out of their hands.

I think if he's found guilty, United should just terminate the contract and wash their hands of him and the story for good. Like you say, a big difference (other than the difference between taking cocaine and allegedly violent raping a woman being massively different) is they didn't pay a transfer fee - so while Chelsea were able to successfully go after Mutu's future earnings under his contract, that article (and my gut reaction) indicates it'd be a longer and more drawn out process... for damages that United might not even be able to collect from Greenwood.

From their perspective, the value in just terminating the contract if he's found guilty is just... it ends their involvement in this ordeal. He would no longer be their PR headache to deal with - whereas suing him for his future earnings just drags it out and keeps Greenwood and United in headlines for months (if not longer). There's no indication Mutu ever paid Chelsea - and I think there's less indication that Greenwood has the money to pay for 3-4 years of his future wages (especially after he goes through the legal process).

I think it's cheaper and more beneficial for United to stop having headlines with their club associated with a violent rapist if he's convicted & then they never have to worry about the twat again.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

His career at the top level looks to be over regardless of what happens in regards to criminal proceedings.

If it was just an accusation, he might be OK. But the video recording of him is going to damn him and turn him into an even more reviled David Goodwillie if he escapes criminal charges.

United aren't going to let him taint their brand and there would be an uproar at any other British club who tried to sign him. It's abroad or a new career. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

A paper today has posted a picture today of Mason in his car with the girl (victim) last week.

This basically blows my mind, how can she be potentially giving evidence against him and yet she's spending time with him.

Surely this will result in the case being thrown out of court.

5 minutes ago, Devil said:

A paper today has posted a picture today of Mason in his car with the girl (victim) last week.

This basically blows my mind, how can she be potentially giving evidence against him and yet she's spending time with him.

Surely this will result in the case being thrown out of court.

He was arrested again for being in breach of his bail conditions by being in contact with his victim who I assume is the girl.... 

Manchester United are aware that England striker Mason Greenwood has been arrested by police on suspicion of breaching his bail conditions.

Greenwood, 21, has not played for United since January after being bailed following his arrest on suspicion of rape, assault and making threats to kill. He has been arrested again on Saturday morning after allegations that he has breached the conditions of his bail by contacting the alleged victim.

Senior Old Trafford sources confirmed that the club had been informed of the latest development. But United will not be making any comment on the matter while the police continue with their investigation.

1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

He was arrested again for being in breach of his bail conditions by being in contact with his victim who I assume is the girl.... 

Manchester United are aware that England striker Mason Greenwood has been arrested by police on suspicion of breaching his bail conditions.

Greenwood, 21, has not played for United since January after being bailed following his arrest on suspicion of rape, assault and making threats to kill. He has been arrested again on Saturday morning after allegations that he has breached the conditions of his bail by contacting the alleged victim.

Senior Old Trafford sources confirmed that the club had been informed of the latest development. But United will not be making any comment on the matter while the police continue with their investigation.

I'm so confused by it all, I heard the recording, I seen the pics (could have been anyone in the photos).

To me the recording was the most significant piece of evidence. Its pure vile disgusting shit.

So why on earth are they still seeing each other?

How are the parents allowing it, I know they are adults but surely they'd be going insane. Surely Mason and the girl could move on from each other.

She's destroyed his career, he's abused her. How can they still want to be a part of each others lives???

3 minutes ago, Devil said:

I'm so confused by it all, I heard the recording, I seen the pics (could have been anyone in the photos).

To me the recording was the most significant piece of evidence. Its pure vile disgusting shit.

How are the parents allowing it, I know they are adults but surely they'd be going insane. Surely Mason and the girl could move on from each other.

She's destroyed his career, he's abused her. How can they still want to be a part of each others lives???

https://ncadv.org/why-do-victims-stay

7 minutes ago, Spike said:

I think that applies more to women who either live with their partners or aren't out in the open with the abuse they've received.

This is pretty unique given how high profile the case is and his profile is. How can he be being charge for attempted rape on someone the press are taking photos of in his car in Hale village.

It's actually insane.

How can she now give evidence to a jury?

11 minutes ago, Devil said:

I don't know mate.. makes no sense to me

To be fair I have not read anything or seen any of these photos or heard anything much about the case so don't know if he is guilty or not and are they getting together because she wants to or because he is manipulating that situation?? Either way as you say his career is shot to shit now, sponsors and the club have basically dumped him and I don't see anyway back from that situation.. It's possible that she has some regrets about how it's gone or he could be trying to put pressure on her to drop the case but if his bail conditions were to stay away then they have both been pretty stupid to think no-one would notice.. 

• Administrator
46 minutes ago, Devil said:

how can she be potentially giving evidence against him and yet she's spending time with him.

It's one picture. Very little context. We have no idea of what's behind it. 

We shouldn't be victim-blaming here, either. 

What we should be questioning is that Greenwood would have explicit bail conditions. And ones he would know. He should be making no attempt or consideration to be meeting her, under ant circumstances, because it would breach his bail. 

• Upvote 3