talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mason Greenwood

I just can't speak about Greenwood. I really can't. But it's not about him anyway.

Let's hope Harriet Robson gets the support and justice she deserves during this time, and hopefully this act's as some form of encouragement in helping anybody else whose afraid to come forward in this situation.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber

Man arrested after Man Utd suspend Mason Greenwood

A man in his 20s has been arrested on suspicion of rape and assault after Manchester United suspended footballer Mason Greenwood following allegations on social media.

Greater Manchester Police said it was made aware of "social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence".

It added "we can confirm a man in his 20s has since been arrested on suspicion of rape and assault".

He remains in custody.

Manchester United earlier said the player would not return to training or matches until further notice.

The club said they "do not condone violence of any kind" and had been made aware of the allegations on social media but would make no further comment until the "facts have been established".

Mason Greenwood has not responded to the allegations.

The 20-year-old footballer, who made his debut for the club in March 2019, signed a four-year deal in February 2021 after rising up through the ranks of the United academy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60192303

Sooner or later men need to start tackling cultural issues rather than just crossing fingers hoping legal deterrents and celebrity examples suffice. Or assuming when a deterrent doesn't work its just because that person is a wrongun and nothing further could have stopped it.

It's not uncommon for the culture within male sports teams to lead to the development of perverse attitudes towards women. Some men in these situations might not be sick offenders like we know Mendy, Greenwood and Cristiano Ronaldo are, but they MAY be as good as enablers, fuelling the rape and violent culture that encourages these behaviours.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Sooner or later men need to start tackling cultural issues rather than just crossing fingers hoping legal deterrents and celebrity examples suffice. Or assuming when a deterrent doesn't work its just because that person is a wrongun and nothing further could have stopped it.

It's not uncommon for the culture within male sports teams to lead to the development of perverse attitudes towards women. Some men in these situations might not be sick offenders like we know Mendy, Greenwood and Cristiano Ronaldo are, but they MAY be as good as enablers, fuelling the rape and violent culture that encourages these behaviours.

From the legal stand point and being in the profession I agree that at times these allegations have been fabricated where the man may have struck the woman but the intent underlying it was due to a domestic dispute,  further the harm was minimal.   In this case from what I saw it looks really bad for him and in now way can this be condoned.   

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

Is it just me or does this statement scream ‘we’re being paid to say this’. 

Very very odd statement. If that was my daughter and that information was raw and fresh…. Wtf.

I cannot fathom.

Edited by JoshBRFC

The dad’s statement might as well read as “we’re gutted it looks like this boy’s money won’t be part of the family anymore”. Doubt that father would be as forgiving if it was a call centre worker dating his daughter. xD

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, DNA said:

The dad’s statement might as well read as “we’re gutted it looks like this boy’s money won’t be part of the family anymore”. Doubt that father would be as forgiving if it was a call centre worker dating his daughter. xD

More or less what i thought. Minus the laughing, as I don’t find any part of it amusing.

Baffled by her Dads statement.

Edited by JoshBRFC

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Is it just me or does this statement scream ‘we’re being paid to say this’. 

Very very odd statement. If that was my daughter and that information was raw and fresh…. Wtf.

I cannot fathom.

That's on the basis we don't know what conversations he and her daughter have had? Just a presumption it's done without her.

There's only so much we can read into it without knowing Harriet, or her father.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

That's on the basis we don't know what conversations he and her daughter have had? Just a presumption it's done without her.

There's only so much we can read into it without knowing Harriet, or her father.

Yep. But that’s nothing new, 90% of the posts on here since this morning have been made with an assumption in it. Luckily for the vast majority of us it’s unbiased educated speculation. We could all be wrong and we have been sucked in to blow it out of proportion. However given the information and facts… he’s been abusing her for months and she’s hidden it. And her and her family are willing to accept his mistakes and behaviour.

As I said, given the hypothesis the statement is very surprising. Almost insinuates a defence of Greenwood.

11 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

More or less what i thought. Minus the laughing, as I don’t find any part of it amusing.

Baffled by her Dads statement.

Yea force of habit with the emoji, obviously it’s bleak stuff we’re dealing with here.

And even more so that we live in a society where abusing your daughter is ok because he’s a multi-millionaire who gets you those fancy christmas gifts every year and ‘looks after’ her, so you don’t need to. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, JoshBRFC said:

And her and her family are willing to accept his mistakes and behaviour?

Where is this said?

Because she didn't want it released? There's probably a very good reason for that given how controlling abusive partners can be. The hold and power they grow to have over the one they abuse is astonishing, and actually quite scary. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Where is this said?

Because she didn't want it released? There's probably a very good reason for that given how controlling abusive partners can be. The hold and power they grow to have over the one they abuse is astonishing, and actually quite scary. 

How do you know? Have you experienced it? As I’ve said 3x now, I’m not the only one to make an assumption today, the majority of the posters on here have. 

My assumption is that they’re willing to accept that. Whether she’s subconsciously allowing him to control that or not, it doesn’t change the fact. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

How do you know? Have you experienced it? As I’ve said 3x now, I’m not the only one to make an assumption today, the majority of the posters on here have. 

My assumption is that they’re willing to accept that. Whether she’s subconsciously allowing him to control that or not, it doesn’t change the fact. 

Not personally but I deal with customers that do, very frequently and sadly regularly. So I am familiar with the patterns of behaviour that are displayed by abusers. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Not personally but I deal with customers that do, very frequently and sadly regularly. So I am familiar with the patterns of behaviour that are displayed by abusers. 

It’s not a dig, was a genuine question mate, I have personally experienced it and I’m not embarrassed to admit, I was never hurt, but she hit me and it was toxic manipulative and I didn’t think anything of it. I saw in my early 20’s it as part of the masculine oh it’s okay. Completely different scenarios I know, but if I could slap myself then and say get out of that now I would. The relationship obviously isn’t healthy, in the slightest… and I cannot fathom how the father can see them pictures of his little girl and come out with that statement. Bizarre. 

I wouldnt want to see him again, I’m all for people learning from their mistakes, but if someone tormented my daughter for months and months and had her in that state, there’s no going back from that for me. 

Edited by JoshBRFC
  • Sad 1

That statement from her dad is absolutely bizarre, like others say it reads like he is playing down.

You would expect a father to be filled with extreme anger. He almost sounds disappointed Mason has ended up in this situation.

Edited by Devil

So how do Man Utd justify suspending Greenwood but not Ronaldo? This is too fresh?

Not saying there is a preferred way of dealing with it, I get the rationality behind both but doesn't seem that consistent from Man Utd.

As for Greenwood, didn't come across great when he got caught cheating on his girlfriend during England duty but still didn't expect something this serious if it's true.

EDIT: Didn't realise there's messages and audio... haven't seen/heard it yet. How damning is it?

Edited by 6666

Does anyone have a link to these quotes from her dad? Absolutely nowhere to be found on the Mail website or their Twitter. Just a load different unreliable sources/sources I've never heard of reporting them.

Edited by LFCMike

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Does anyone have a link to these quotes from her dad? Absolutely nowhere to be found on the Mail website or their Twitter. Just a load different unreliable sources/sources I've never heard of reporting them.

There's a tweet above with a screenshot.

1 hour ago, JoshBRFC said:

There are United fans saying we can now understand why he hasn't been performing. Like he is the fucking victim. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, 6666 said:

how do Man Utd justify suspending Greenwood but not Ronaldo? This is too fresh?

Because Ronaldo's accusers went through the proper channels allowing him to cover it up, pay them off or whatever, while Greenwood's victim has gone on social media and made the evidence public.