talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Russia and Ukraine

football forum

I understand people being concerned more about issues near to them but some media coverages are super cringe.

' it's happening in Europe to blue eyed blonde people not Middle East '

There are literally blue eyed blonde people in Syria and Middle Eastern looking in Europe. 

Less than 2 years ago Putin was sending a support convoy to early Covid Italy.

Now warning all us nations being 'unfriendly' to Russia the invading war bully, that they have nuclear weapons.

1 act was clearly bs.

Only difference between now & Iraq--Kuwait in the early 90's is Russia's well known, long standing nuclear capabilities.

I'm partly for sending armed forces into Ukraine, after Putin himself, with a statement that we have similar stuff..

1 hour ago, Waylander said:

This is from Oliver Stone in 2016 very interesting and shows outside forces trying to destabilise Ukraine. 

My take is Ukraine should split, it is clear there are two very strong idealogies and they are poles apart. 

Yeah I can only see Ukraine becoming a Syria like buffer zone between Russia and Europe

• The title was changed to Russia and Ukraine
21 hours ago, Aladdin said:

I understand people being concerned more about issues near to them but some media coverages are super cringe.

' it's happening in Europe to blue eyed blonde people not Middle East '

There are literally blue eyed blonde people in Syria and Middle Eastern looking in Europe. 

Yeah some of what the media has said as to why they care more about this conflict than others manage to be both cringe as fuck while also managing to come off as overtly racist.

Honestly, it seems like every couple of weeks western media does something that just makes me shake my head and roll my eyes.

18 hours ago, MUFC said:

People saying only Trump can stop Putin. Don't tell me Trump becomes the hero and becomes president again? 

Trump called Putin a genius for his invasion. People who think he’d stop this rather than just blow Putin are probably the same people who think that Trump is some kind of undercover pedo hunter…

I think it’s funny Roman Abramovich has come forward saying he is trying to broker peace. But he’s one of Russia’s oligarchs that hasn’t come forward and condemned the war (and quite a few have). I’m pretty sure that’s just PR, but I do wonder if he’s feeling a bit guilty right now as he had a pretty big part to play in Putin’s rise.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Aladdin said:

Yeah I can only see Ukraine becoming a Syria like buffer zone between Russia and Europe

Talking with my brother yesterday, his take is the US will turn Ukraine into a killing zone for Russian troops and that Putin has fallen into a trap.

I mentioned I had heard Zelensky used to be a comic and he already knew and said he made a serious faux-pass on one interview yet seems to have done his career no harm at all.

Can't recall much more as the football was on. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@Aladdin I can’t help but feel this is how the Western media actually reports on things…

image.png

There are some very ignorant journalists making comments about "this is the first war in my lifetime carried out against a civilised country". The responses, quite rightly, are this meme except "civilised" and "uncivilised" instead of these captions.

Needless to say, these journalists aren't the ones out there in Ukraine and other nations reporting from the front lines.

• Upvote 4

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@Aladdin I can’t help but feel this is how the Western media actually reports on things…

image.png

Said something similar recently.

When Palestine was being defended in sport after Israel's actions, any of those defences were vehemently  criticised. Even taking flags on to the pitch as part of celebrations or having them in the stands by fans was wildly lambasted. 

Not saying that Ukraine/Ukrainians shouldn't have had any level of support/backing, but there is somewhat of a double standard appearing...

• Like 1

The IOC want Russia banned across all sports...

If this was something applied across the board for anyone doing something like this then I'd still think it was unnecessary but at least it'd be the same rule for everyone. With it only being applied here, it's extremely annoying and an obvious case of hypocrisy.

34 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

There are some very ignorant journalists making comments about "this is the first war in my lifetime carried out against a civilised country". The responses, quite rightly, are this meme except "civilised" and "uncivilised" instead of these captions.

Needless to say, these journalists aren't the ones out there in Ukraine and other nations reporting from the front lines.

Tbh I saw someone on CNN on the frontlines say some… pretty stupid shit about why this was so shocking.

And it is shocking, I think everyone’s got a right to be shocked and appalled by Russia’s invasion. Especially with the recent footage of cluster munitions in Kharkiv. We should care about illegal wars and war crimes, absolutely.

But it does make me annoyed at how they very much pick and choose what crimes against humanity they want to report on. Rather than giving the public a chance to know how fucked up the world really is.

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, 6666 said:

The IOC want Russia banned across all sports...

If this was something applied across the board for anyone doing something like this then I'd still think it was unnecessary but at least it'd be the same rule for everyone. With it only being applied here, it's extremely annoying and an obvious case of hypocrisy.

It does open a can of worms. Like where and why do you draw a line between Roman Abramovich because of his links to Putin, and any of the Saudi or Qatari owners that have linked to the human rights-abusing regimes in those countries? Not a simple conversation once you start having it.

• Subscriber

@6666 I will say though in addition with the IOC, they already pretty much banned Russia as a nationality in the various Olympics because of the state-sponsored doping scandal(s), so in that sense Russia have directly offended them in a sporting sense instead of them just trying to use the clout they have in response to the events of the past week. Still, though, if their justification for banning them from other sports is heavily or entirely dependent on the argument about the current war, it remains inconsistent unless they start doing the same to other countries.