talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Russia and Ukraine

football forum

10 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Are you in shape, have you been conscripted, and have india crossed the border with a trillion dothraki screamers?

– Relatively better

– I think conscription will not be needed here for a while bcz we have a huge population

– Definitely it's on the cards. A second major front has opened in the world since then. Current Indian govt is right now in the phase of internal conquest once it will be done they will go for external expansion i.e the first country Nazis conquest was Germany

9 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

he is just some dude in the Kremlin playing mob boss with former Soviet states

The "historical justification" Putin gave for the war is basically the same argument as the justification for Hitler annexing territories under the policy of Lebensraum. Annexing territories and classifying people as people of Russian descent, passive Russian descent, the "voluntary Russofied," and the "forcibly Russofied"... that's all basically a copy of: Volksdeutsche (ethnically German), Deutschstammige (German descent), Eingedeutsche (volunitarily Germanised), and Ruckdegeutschte (forcibly Germanised).

We know what happens when you appease expansionist dictators, we've seen this film before.

• 2 weeks later...

How many more bodies will Russia like to throw at this lol

@ 18:09 is where it starts with Russia's geopolitical ambitions but it is safe to say that Russia doesn't have the military capacity for any war.  to just take and hold Eastern Ukraine cost them more than they can afford.

Russia has tried some escalation in Syria near the Golan Heights but let's be honest that will be a bloodbath, further US military outposts are not that far away either so I can't see Russia being that stupid.

1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

By a show of hands who is absolutely fucking terrified of mandatory conscription and being sent to the fronts to fight for Ukraine's democracy (lol).

Don't all rush in at once

I'm pretty sure most of the fear of mandatory conscription is due to the prospect of Russian expansionist claims seeming all the more likely and this spreading beyond Ukraine tbh. We've seen it before with appeasing a belligerent dictator that has expansionist aims in Europe - and Russia's openly threatened spreading that aggression to other countries.

Appeasing Putin with Crimea and Georgia did nothing to stop his claims over other countries. The US, UK, and NATO openly stating that Russia was planning for invasion was met with derision from Putin, saying the West was paranoid, just days before he announced his special operation (which again, is just an invasion). There is no reason to believe that Russia's expansionist claims should not be taken seriously and with Poland, a NATO member, being told repeatedly that "they are next" it would be foolish for NATO to not seriously consider the prospect of Ukraine falling and Russia then moving on to further move westward.

I think Armenia should be feeling pretty worried about the prospect of Russian expansion - they've seen how being under Russia's umbrella has failed to protect them from Azerbaijan and are taking active steps to move out of Russia's sphere of influence and chase better ties with the US and France. Ukraine wanting to have more reliable allies and stronger ties with the West is a big part of why Putin backed puppet governments in Ukraine, seized Crimea, and ultimately invaded the rest of Ukraine. And unlike Ukraine, Armenia's NATO member ally is openly hostile to it and the EU is dependent on Azerbaijan for energy now. Azerbaijan is openly hostile to anyone around it that isn't Russia or Turkey. Georgia is shit scared of upsetting both the west and Russia. Iran has decent relations with Armenia, but when push comes to shove - Iran will always side with Russia over Armenia because Russia's more useful to propping up their shit dictatorship oppressing it's people than Armenia ever could be.

I think it's a matter of when, not if, of Russia turning its aggression to Armenia. A country the EU won't be able to support because of the energy dependence of Azerbaijan, with no true friendly neighbor, and much less resources and military capability than Ukraine. I suspect things will get pretty bad for Armenia pretty quickly.

Either way, I don't know why a South African would be seriously concerned about being sent to the frontlines of Europe. South Africa will likely continue to suckle at Putin's teat the way they have since Ukraine was invaded, you're safe mate.

On 28/02/2024 at 21:13, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm pretty sure most of the fear of mandatory conscription is due to the prospect of Russian expansionist claims seeming all the more likely and this spreading beyond Ukraine tbh. We've seen it before with appeasing a belligerent dictator that has expansionist aims in Europe - and Russia's openly threatened spreading that aggression to other countries.

Appeasing Putin with Crimea and Georgia did nothing to stop his claims over other countries. The US, UK, and NATO openly stating that Russia was planning for invasion was met with derision from Putin, saying the West was paranoid, just days before he announced his special operation (which again, is just an invasion). There is no reason to believe that Russia's expansionist claims should not be taken seriously and with Poland, a NATO member, being told repeatedly that "they are next" it would be foolish for NATO to not seriously consider the prospect of Ukraine falling and Russia then moving on to further move westward.

I think Armenia should be feeling pretty worried about the prospect of Russian expansion - they've seen how being under Russia's umbrella has failed to protect them from Azerbaijan and are taking active steps to move out of Russia's sphere of influence and chase better ties with the US and France. Ukraine wanting to have more reliable allies and stronger ties with the West is a big part of why Putin backed puppet governments in Ukraine, seized Crimea, and ultimately invaded the rest of Ukraine. And unlike Ukraine, Armenia's NATO member ally is openly hostile to it and the EU is dependent on Azerbaijan for energy now. Azerbaijan is openly hostile to anyone around it that isn't Russia or Turkey. Georgia is shit scared of upsetting both the west and Russia. Iran has decent relations with Armenia, but when push comes to shove - Iran will always side with Russia over Armenia because Russia's more useful to propping up their shit dictatorship oppressing it's people than Armenia ever could be.

I think it's a matter of when, not if, of Russia turning its aggression to Armenia. A country the EU won't be able to support because of the energy dependence of Azerbaijan, with no true friendly neighbor, and much less resources and military capability than Ukraine. I suspect things will get pretty bad for Armenia pretty quickly.

Either way, I don't know why a South African would be seriously concerned about being sent to the frontlines of Europe. South Africa will likely continue to suckle at Putin's teat the way they have since Ukraine was invaded, you're safe mate.

The ANC is in danger of a near 50% majority, they have become serious cock suckers for any of Beijing, Moscow, Tehran, the useful idiots.  It won't be my problem for long anyway.

Dare I say the most obvious problem with South Africa is that our military is not what it used to be, now we have sailors drowning when waters are choppy, driving non amphibious vehicles into the ocean during a parade and wondering why it stops working.  South Africa's days as a military of respect and quality is well gone.

Isreal and Moscow have always had a non aggression atypical relationship however Russia have seemed to stir the pot by speaking to parties that are existential threats to Israel.   This has now seen Israel sending the iron Dome interception system to Ukraine.  Isreal is also releasing intelligence to Western allies pertaining to Russia's dealings and intercepted intelligence.

There is a snag, Israel is a small nation, Ukraine is huge but Israel has given build plans, how many and how fast they can be built is up to bigger nations with more resources.   It marks a major step considering Israel's general reluctance to supply weapons to allies, this is mostly down to not being battle tested on foreign battlefields.  

On 28/02/2024 at 17:28, OrangeKhrush said:

By a show of hands who is absolutely fucking terrified of mandatory conscription and being sent to the fronts to fight for Ukraine's democracy (lol).

Don't all rush in at once

Isn't Ukraine one of the worst countries for violating human rights?

8 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Isreal and Moscow have always had a non aggression atypical relationship however Russia have seemed to stir the pot by speaking to parties that are existential threats to Israel.   This has now seen Israel sending the iron Dome interception system to Ukraine.  Isreal is also releasing intelligence to Western allies pertaining to Russia's dealings and intercepted intelligence.

There is a snag, Israel is a small nation, Ukraine is huge but Israel has given build plans, how many and how fast they can be built is up to bigger nations with more resources.   It marks a major step considering Israel's general reluctance to supply weapons to allies, this is mostly down to not being battle tested on foreign battlefields.  

Israel and Russia used to have very close ties - a lot of Israel was built by Russian-Jewish engineers who moved there. There are many Russian-Israeli dual nationals.

I think those ties have worsened because Russia's very clearly using its ally in Iran to have activated its proxies to kick all of this shit off as a way of distracting the world's attention from Ukraine. So I think it makes perfect sense that Israel is now willing to actively work against Russia, who actively work to support Iran, who in turn are providing material support to Hamas, Houthis, and Hezbollah.

I wouldn't say Israel has a general reluctance to supply weapons to allies. Israeli drones and weaponry were a big part of the way how Azerbaijan's military has been bolstered since losing their war against Armenia in the 90s to now looking like if Azerbaijan ever did invade Armenia - Armenia would be absolutely fucked. When justifying the Holocaust, he's quoted as having said "After all, who remembers the annihiliation of the Armenians?" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler's_Armenian_reference) - a reference to the Armenian genocide (the genocide that led to the creation of the word "genocide") - Armenians and Israelis should probably be very close allies due to their common history and the commonality of being a young democratic nation surrounded by very hostile enemies that can justify wiping out their ethnicities. But Israel's support of ethnic cleansing of Nagorno-Karabagh, as well as Israel's continual refusal to recognise the Armenian genocide (granted, this is mostly political - due to not wanting to piss of Turkey, a vital NATO member because of their location) are why Israel generally does not enjoy support from Armenians at large. And that's despite Jerusalem's Armenian quarter and Armenians having been living in the region for an absurdly long time (although the recent treatment of Armenians in Israel also probably has Armenia quite pissed off at Israel).

Israel's had a general reluctance to support Ukraine against Russia primarily because of not wanting to damage ties with Russia, and partially because Ukraine consistently does not side with Israel in the UN. It seems months of war and threats of the war expanding from proxies of Russia's ally have finally given Israel a reason to not care if their ties with Russia suffer further strains.

*edit* - I've just gone and done some searching and I have found NOTHING that indicates Israel is giving Ukraine the Iron Dome xD STOP MAKING SHIT UP

5 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Isn't Ukraine one of the worst countries for violating human rights?

Maybe one of the worst in Europe, but I think it depends on how you qualify "one of the worst" - I think in the world, you'd be hard pressed to say they make the bottom 10 countries for respecting human rights. The bottom countries for human rights according to statistia are: Yemen, Iran, China, Egypt, Syria, Central African Republic, DR Congo, North Korea, Burma, Sudan, Eritrea, Russia, Burundi, Somalia, and Libya. Places where you've got a mix of: authoritarian rule, corruption being "the way things work," and failed states. (https://www.statista.com/statistics/1256220/highest-human-rights-and-rule-of-law-index-by-country/)

But again, I think we only have to worry about NATO conscription and UK (and other NATO nations) being sent to the frontlines if Ukraine falls and Russia decides to push further westward.

18 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Israel and Russia used to have very close ties - a lot of Israel was built by Russian-Jewish engineers who moved there. There are many Russian-Israeli dual nationals.

I think those ties have worsened because Russia's very clearly using its ally in Iran to have activated its proxies to kick all of this shit off as a way of distracting the world's attention from Ukraine. So I think it makes perfect sense that Israel is now willing to actively work against Russia, who actively work to support Iran, who in turn are providing material support to Hamas, Houthis, and Hezbollah.

I wouldn't say Israel has a general reluctance to supply weapons to allies. Israeli drones and weaponry were a big part of the way how Azerbaijan's military has been bolstered since losing their war against Armenia in the 90s to now looking like if Azerbaijan ever did invade Armenia - Armenia would be absolutely fucked. When justifying the Holocaust, he's quoted as having said "After all, who remembers the annihiliation of the Armenians?" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler's_Armenian_reference) - a reference to the Armenian genocide (the genocide that led to the creation of the word "genocide") - Armenians and Israelis should probably be very close allies due to their common history and the commonality of being a young democratic nation surrounded by very hostile enemies that can justify wiping out their ethnicities. But Israel's support of ethnic cleansing of Nagorno-Karabagh, as well as Israel's continual refusal to recognise the Armenian genocide (granted, this is mostly political - due to not wanting to piss of Turkey, a vital NATO member because of their location) are why Israel generally does not enjoy support from Armenians at large. And that's despite Jerusalem's Armenian quarter and Armenians having been living in the region for an absurdly long time (although the recent treatment of Armenians in Israel also probably has Armenia quite pissed off at Israel).

Israel's had a general reluctance to support Ukraine against Russia primarily because of not wanting to damage ties with Russia, and partially because Ukraine consistently does not side with Israel in the UN. It seems months of war and threats of the war expanding from proxies of Russia's ally have finally given Israel a reason to not care if their ties with Russia suffer further strains.

*edit* - I've just gone and done some searching and I have found NOTHING that indicates Israel is giving Ukraine the Iron Dome xD STOP MAKING SHIT UP

Maybe one of the worst in Europe, but I think it depends on how you qualify "one of the worst" - I think in the world, you'd be hard pressed to say they make the bottom 10 countries for respecting human rights. The bottom countries for human rights according to statistia are: Yemen, Iran, China, Egypt, Syria, Central African Republic, DR Congo, North Korea, Burma, Sudan, Eritrea, Russia, Burundi, Somalia, and Libya. Places where you've got a mix of: authoritarian rule, corruption being "the way things work," and failed states. (https://www.statista.com/statistics/1256220/highest-human-rights-and-rule-of-law-index-by-country/)

But again, I think we only have to worry about NATO conscription and UK (and other NATO nations) being sent to the frontlines if Ukraine falls and Russia decides to push further westward.

The geopolitics in place was set up to avoid a situation of Israeli weapons being used to kill Turkish troops who had expansionism intensions.    No western ally spoke out about Turkey then by convenience but geo politics is changing and it seems like the west is poised to throw each other under the bus for votes.

The Russian/Jewish relationship has always been respectable,  Jews that were not captured by the Nazi's fought as resistance fighters initially the Partisans and later the Hakam.    After the fall of the Soviet Union and Russia wanting all the Jews out, over 900 000 Jews were allow free passage out of the the former soviet union to settle in Israel.    The relationship has always been on the prevision that neither party will interfere in what is deemed existential threat to the other.   Due to the changing face of politics these relations are strained.   Russia's alliance to Iran and their proxies and their military outpost near Golan is not helping.   

What this does for Armenia going forward should not be a question directed to Israel but maybe another failing of the west or NATO to do its job.   Why are Türkey given a free pass. 

On Ukraine,  should Ukraine be NATO's problem?  For me yes however I think the problem is that NATO doesn't have military capability to mobilise and after years of selling off weapons and ordinances there is a mass shortage,  it takes a while to mobilise for war,  Russia has nearly 2 years head start.   the only good thing about this is that the Russian military is pants any sort of cohesive NATO army should be able to sort them out no problems. 

On 01/03/2024 at 18:04, Dr. Gonzo said:

I actually meant to write Europe. But either way, they aren't conscribing me.

I'll fuck off to Cambodia and hide at @nudge's house..

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Putin threatening nuclear war while claiming he is not, the typical strong arming tactic when he realises the cost of taking Eastern Ukraine cost him a lot in human and mechanical resources.

Russia's peak munitions supply is now and should last until 2025 after which Russia will be in a deficit, by mid 2025 Ukraine should be rearmed.

I don't think Russia have the military capacity to be aggressive.  This may end up grinding into a stalemate where Russia is content with to Donbas and Ukraine has the rest.

5 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Putin threatening nuclear war while claiming he is not, the typical strong arming tactic when he realises the cost of taking Eastern Ukraine cost him a lot in human and mechanical resources.

Russia's peak munitions supply is now and should last until 2025 after which Russia will be in a deficit, by mid 2025 Ukraine should be rearmed.

I don't think Russia have the military capacity to be aggressive.  This may end up grinding into a stalemate where Russia is content with to Donbas and Ukraine has the rest.

It's about time the west stop provoking Putin, this is what led to Russia sending a task force into Ukraine in the first place, if they sent the full army in Ukraine would be wiped out in a week tops. Ukraine can not win this war and should come to the peace table. Russia will never run out of munitions too, they are making it on a daily basis

The only thing NATO has done here is show how undersupplied they are by spending the best part of a decade selling off high ordinance stockpiles.   The Ukraine war shows that Artillery and missile stockpiles should have been retained instead of selling them to potential enemies like Turkey.    NATO has also missed military recruitment targets for the last decade by some margin and it is alarming given how they are mirroring the same problem Russia have with the fact that it takes 2-3 years to train up a recruit,  sure you can fast track that but the quality of soldier falls off significantly. 

Russia's ability to mobilise is overstated,  they have logistics problems a lot down to the geography of russia being very bad for logistics routes,  years of inaction in expansion projects has left the 1920's lines being the same ones as today,  that means one rail system in and out, when it si struck it holds up supplies which impacts the front.    I don't think Russia have the capacity to roll over anyone. 

Edited by OrangeKhrush

7 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

The only thing NATO has done here is show how undersupplied they are by spending the best part of a decade selling off high ordinance stockpiles.   The Ukraine war shows that Artillery and missile stockpiles should have been retained instead of selling them to potential enemies like Turkey.    NATO has also missed military recruitment targets for the last decade by some margin and it is alarming given how they are mirroring the same problem Russia have with the fact that it takes 2-3 years to train up a recruit,  sure you can fast track that but the quality of soldier falls off significantly. 

Russia's ability to mobilise is overstated,  they have logistics problems a lot down to the geography of russia being very bad for logistics routes,  years of inaction in expansion projects has left the 1920's lines being the same ones as today,  that means one rail system in and out, when it si struck it holds up supplies which impacts the front.    I don't think Russia have the capacity to roll over anyone. 

NATO's been keeping Ukraine in a fight against a much larger military by sending off their decades old equipment to Ukraine though? The war has shown that basically all NATO allies but the US don't have war readiness, but that's also because the EU (and UK) have defacto decided that if war comes to Europe, the US will be their protector.

Also Turkey is... in NATO... so not really a potential enemy.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

NATO's been keeping Ukraine in a fight against a much larger military by sending off their decades old equipment to Ukraine though? The war has shown that basically all NATO allies but the US don't have war readiness, but that's also because the EU (and UK) have defacto decided that if war comes to Europe, the US will be their protector.

Also Turkey is... in NATO... so not really a potential enemy.

Russia's problems are a lot worse.

It is correct, there is another video which is 5 years old that talks about the likely fade of Russia by 2050 the population will die off with the bulk of Russians being over 35.   

their military is outdated and their game changers planed in the early 2000's when they hit a boom are still barely prototypes, the SU57 only 6 flying and the T14 Armata hasn't even been approved from a prototype.   

Ukraine need to dig in like Russia did, if they do that within a year Russia's military will be depleted.  If Russia is smart, they will fortify what they have and not commit troops to death for vanity.  Holding Eastern Ukraine gives Russia a good base of operations.  

NATO should be starting it's mobilisation now, draft conscription for basic training just in case there is a flair up

Ben Shapiro. xD You have to be fucking kidding me. Every time I think it can't get any dumber, he pulls another youtube video out of his ass. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Ben Shapiro. xD You have to be fucking kidding me. Every time I think it can't get any dumber, he pulls another youtube video out of his ass. 

Who’s gunna buy the houses Ben, fucking Aquaman?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

I like how he tries to play himself off as some sort of intellectual. "Russia borders Europe, Asia, and the Middle East" - dickhead, the Middle East is... in Asia.

To Shapiro's credit, he's accurately describing how shit of a job Putin's done managing Russia as opposed to Tuck the Cuck Carlson, who went over to Moscow to give Putin a blowjob before giving him the biggest softball interview in the history of journalism - including blaming Poland for the Nazis starting WW2 (which I assume Russians teach in school so they can blame someone else other than the Nazis, who Russia were initially allied with as they both carved up Poland - thus meaning Mother Russia did nothing wrong at all in the second world war).

The biggest highlight is halfway through the video, Ben Shapiro suddenly and swiftly transitions into an advert to sell gold to his followers. The grift never stops with these people, even if they're saying the right things.

But actually on the whole, that video isn't too bad - if Ben Shapiro is giving the radicalised right-wing fans around the world an off-ramp from supporting Russia blindly and has them questioning all the weirdly pro-Russian bullshit they've been spreading around the world... this is a good sign. Sure, it might just be telling them things about Russia that people have been saying about Russia for years... but some people simply won't listen until their youtuber of choice tells what they need to think.

So this is a rare moment where Ben Shapiro doesn't come off as a complete and utter clown, tbh. Still has a face and a voice that only a mother could love, but taking a step away from the normal far-right bullshit that's fed to his followers to present a more accurate picture. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

A Russian theatre was blown up by an Islamic jihad group.   Don't look back in anger.

When your enemy attacks your enemy, never interfere 

It's actually disgusting what happened there, with those innocent lives taken. The Islamic jihad groups have claimed attacks in the past that hasn't been them, but either way, whoever committed this massacre on innocent lives are evil. My enemy are all extremist organisations and leaderships around the world, as well as the government of Russia, not the innocent people of Russia. 

On 14/03/2024 at 23:35, Dr. Gonzo said:

I like how he tries to play himself off as some sort of intellectual. "Russia borders Europe, Asia, and the Middle East" - dickhead, the Middle East is... in Asia.

He is a bigoted idiot, who only sews hatred with much of the things that he says. I mean we would expect someone in his position to get basic geography correct, but I've commonly heard other idiots say things like "more violence in the Middle East", when violence has occurred in countries like Libya, Chad, Somalia, Pakistan, Afghanistan etc. There's a lot of ignorance out there.

• Upvote 1