talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nottm Forest Back in the Premier League!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Forest are in tricky territory.

Huge amount of pressure on the club to perform given the backing received, nearly £200m spent which is ridiculous when you see what they have got for that. Very debatable quality.

Equally, when you bring in 20 players, you have to surely allow a bit of time for them to bed in. How much time you allow, I don't know but the owner will be getting itchy fingers all over the sack button.

The problem right now is two things for me. Cooper doesn't have a clue what his best team is and he's being too loyal and playing the likes of Steve Cook and Scott McKenna in central defence who are not up to this standard. How Wily Boly isn't getting a start is beyond me. Aurier, although a liability for Spurs, also walks into that team.

Cooper needs to find a way to get the best out of the players he's been given and he needs to probably find answers quick.

1 hour ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Just because he didn't do well at Everton doesn't mean he was a good manager anywhere else.

It was never going to work at Everton due to his Liverpool past.

He'd improve them, I've no doubt about that.

4 minutes ago, Devil said:

Just because he didn't do well at Everton doesn't mean he was a good manager anywhere else.

It was never going to work at Everton due to his Liverpool past.

He'd improve them, I've no doubt about that.

It was a joke mate. I wouldn't mind seeing what he can do myself. 

Rafa is very hit and miss,  personally I think he did well for us and he had players that suited his style,   Nottingham play that 5-3-2 WB formation which is more or less Rafa.   

Forest may be the victims of quantity over quality,  21 players is far to much upheaval

• Subscriber

He was awful at us because of himself, not because of his history with Liverpool. Absolutely awful in every department apart from his two main signings having a good honeymoon period. Bad tactics, bad man management, no buy in from the fans. The Liverpool thing is a total myth. Conor Coady has gone from "massive Kopite prick" to almost cult hero status at Everton already because of how he's conducted himself and performed. Benitez could have done the same but he was busy getting walloped 5-2 at home to Watford and losing at Norwich.

The bloke inherited a skip fire at Everton just like Allardcye, Silva, Ancelotti and Lampard all did. He was the only one to make it twice as bad in the space of half a season. Until recently, Lampard was constantly highlighted as a poor manager who was going to get sacked soon and "only took Everton from 16th to 16th" and whatever else but you can point to loads of things that have changed at the club since he took over that are marginal improvements, steadily adding up to the club beginning to look like it could finally move in the right direction again. Benitez just offered no positivity or anything to get behind and seemed to fall out with a player or sack a couple of backroom staff after every bad result only for the team to rock up at the next game with the same line up and tactics and underperformed again.

He might still have something to offer at Forest but I doubt it. It's tiresome having to challenge the lazy "it's because of the Liverpool thing" nonsense regarding his time at Everton. He has had great achievements in his career but the game has passed him by. There's a reason he was managing in China before he came to us and there's a reason the bottom club in the league is his first sniff of a Premier League job since.

• Subscriber
18 hours ago, Lucas said:

Forest are in tricky territory.

Huge amount of pressure on the club to perform given the backing received, nearly £200m spent which is ridiculous when you see what they have got for that. Very debatable quality.

Equally, when you bring in 20 players, you have to surely allow a bit of time for them to bed in. How much time you allow, I don't know but the owner will be getting itchy fingers all over the sack button.

The problem right now is two things for me. Cooper doesn't have a clue what his best team is and he's being too loyal and playing the likes of Steve Cook and Scott McKenna in central defence who are not up to this standard. How Wily Boly isn't getting a start is beyond me. Aurier, although a liability for Spurs, also walks into that team.

Cooper needs to find a way to get the best out of the players he's been given and he needs to probably find answers quick.

22 signings and they've got Cook and McKenna pumping the ball back to us in their own half for 90 minutes. Truly awful side. Norwich were better.

The entire thing is a mess already. They're starting to sense it. I think it's inevitable Cooper goes but I'm not sure this one's totally on him.

On 04/10/2022 at 10:01, RandoEFC said:

He was awful at us because of himself, not because of his history with Liverpool. Absolutely awful in every department apart from his two main signings having a good honeymoon period. Bad tactics, bad man management, no buy in from the fans. The Liverpool thing is a total myth. Conor Coady has gone from "massive Kopite prick" to almost cult hero status at Everton already because of how he's conducted himself and performed. Benitez could have done the same but he was busy getting walloped 5-2 at home to Watford and losing at Norwich.

I don't think you can really compare Rafa's legacy at Liverpool with Conor Coady's though. I think it was a stupid appointment because of course there was no buy in from the fans - it was a toxic atmosphere from day 1 & they gave him about 2p to try to save a horribly built team.

You're probably right about everything else, I do think the game has passed Rafa by... but I still think he was always doomed to fail at Everton.

• Subscriber
33 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't think you can really compare Rafa's legacy at Liverpool with Conor Coady's though. I think it was a stupid appointment because of course there was no buy in from the fans - it was a toxic atmosphere from day 1 & they gave him about 2p to try to save a horribly built team.

You're probably right about everything else, I do think the game has passed Rafa by... but I still think he was always doomed to fail at Everton.

Of course you can't compare Benitez and Coady entirely, we're not exactly blessed with other examples though xD. There was a path for Rafa at Everton. The toxic atmosphere thing is categorically not true, aside from a couple of titheads who put those banners outside his estate. He was given a fair hearing at first and built a solid level of support during the strong start to the season. Then performances fell off a cliff quickly. The spending thing is true, but he inherited a team that still finished in the top half with Ancelotti the season before. Sigurdsson was beyond anyone's control but it was his choice to sack off James Rodriguez when we could only rely on free transfers to replace his creativity in the team. Then the Digne fall-out.

All I'll say is that if Benitez had never had anything to do with Liverpool and still managed us at the start of last season, things would have largely gone the same and I don't think people can really make a compelling argument otherwise, which is why I'm not really worried about the prospect of him taking over at Nottingham Forest and making me look like a tit by smashing it out of the park.

• Subscriber
44 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Steve cooper has been given a contract extension. Good to see a club sticking with a manager. Maybe they are planning on doing a Burnley and excepting they may go down but hope to get back up and stay up and have stability. Risky but good to see 

Aye, just spotted that, at least they have a bit of faith in him, just hope the players help him out and stay up.

Steve Cooper: Nottingham Forest manager signs new deal until 2025

5 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Steve cooper has been given a contract extension. Good to see a club sticking with a manager. Maybe they are planning on doing a Burnley and excepting they may go down but hope to get back up and stay up and have stability. Risky but good to see 

He seems to be incredibly popular with the Forest fans despite the rough start to the season they've had. It seems like the fans are understandable that they look so shit with so many new players needing to be bedded in.

Archived