talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Your All-Time Premier League XI

5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

That's a shame. Thought some sense was knocked into you. :ph34r:

I think Lampard was brilliant. Gerrard was just better though & had to carry a team that wasn't anywhere near his level to attempt to compete against more complete teams. I think if the two players swapped clubs they spent the most time at... Chelsea would have been terrifyingly good and we'd probably be a bit worse but I'm sure Lampard would still have been our best player.

Impossible to say though and the debate is boring because it's been had for over a decade. Two of the best midfielders this league has ever seen, and imo certainly in the top 3 (with Vieira). And all 3 of them were absolutely incredible players. If I had to have a top 5, I'd probably put Roy Keane in there as well.

I often think Vieira is too often overlooked when best prem midfielders are mentioned. Keane too probably.

In any case, if I'm going 4-4-2... I'm putting Vieira in. If I can have Makalele in the side (and I think it's stupid he's not an option - he's certainly been overlooked), then I'm putting Gerrard and Lampard in the side at the same time even though literally no manager could ever get it to work for England. But none of them had Makalele as an option...

Tbh even with a 4-4-2, maybe I'd just fuck Cristiano Ronaldo out of there and put Gerrard on the right. He did have a remarkable season playing out on the right once, even though he said he hated that season xD - I think Ronaldo's one of the best players of all time... but honestly the "best" of his career was in La Liga. Whereas Gerrard (and Lampard) gave us their best for a very long time in our league...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think Lampard was brilliant. Gerrard was just better though & had to carry a team that wasn't anywhere near his level to attempt to compete against more complete teams. I think if the two players swapped clubs they spent the most time at... Chelsea would have been terrifyingly good and we'd probably be a bit worse but I'm sure Lampard would still have been our best player.

Impossible to say though and the debate is boring because it's been had for over a decade. Two of the best midfielders this league has ever seen, and imo certainly in the top 3 (with Vieira). And all 3 of them were absolutely incredible players. If I had to have a top 5, I'd probably put Roy Keane in there as well.

Personally I don't fall too much in the Gerrard had to carry his team narrative. It's been solely built on moments.  I'm not going to pretend Gerrard played with absolute mediocrity when the likes of Alonso, Mascherano, Torres, Suarez, Hyypia, Kuyt, etc, shared the same pitch with him. I'm also not going to pretend Rafa Benitez wasn't a brilliant cup manager who set his sides up to be difficult to beat in one off games. 

Gerrard had more of a natural ability but he was no where near as consistent and reliable as Lampard, and that for me is ultimately the deciding factor. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Personally I don't fall too much in the Gerrard had to carry his team narrative.

Yeah maybe you don't, but I have watched more of him play for us than you have probably xD He had good teams, but he was never on great teams - and certainly never on any teams with great depth. Which is a part of the reason he had to be asked to change his role for us constantly.

And he did a great job up until Rodgers asked him to continue playing as a deep lying playmaker even though he was setting up the team to have no movement in front of him so there wasn't much creating from deep he could do and his legs were too gone to be the deepest lying midfielder in a setup with nobody to really help with defensive duties & the manager was too stubborn to change what worked when Suarez was around and Sturridge could stay fit.

2 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

To me it feels that Ashley Cole's contribution to two historic Arsenal sides and several great Chelsea teams over 7/8 years outweighs what Denis Irwin did. He'd definitely make a "team of the 90's" though.

John and I both have Ashely Cole at LB. 

Irwin was a RB by trade playing LB. I'd soon stick Irwin in at right back ahead of Neville or TAA. 

7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Irwin was a RB by trade playing LB. I'd soon stick Irwin in at right back ahead of Neville or TAA. 

Ah. 

I honestly have no recollection of Irwin playing there. I only ever remember Parker and then Neville.

I'd still go Neville. His initial impact was very impressive and his longevity across several great Manchester United teams is very admirable.

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, Cicero said:

And Stan. 

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Terry would be fine in today's game, particularly under a progressive manager.

Don't recall Puyol having any issues. Or Thiago Silva now. 

And Puyol was a better defender than Terry, Terry was always protected by Chelsea’s natural defensive demeanour in big games.

25 minutes ago, Danny said:

Terry was always protected by Chelsea’s natural defensive demeanour in big games.

Which was beautifully disproven under Ancelotti when they broke the league scoring record at the time. 

1 hour ago, Danny said:

And Puyol was a better defender than Terry, Terry was always protected by Chelsea’s natural defensive demeanour in big games.

Ridiculous, having to defend more doesn't make it 'easier' and 'protected'. By that token you could also argue that Puyol was protected by Barcelona having 90% possession and playing on the most stacked teams of all time.

2 hours ago, Machado said:

Yikes.

I think that by "all-time premier league XI" they meant all time best, not worst 😆

If I had put 1 portuguese player in there you'd be slobbing my cock up. If I had ronaldo and Carvalho in you'd probably fly cross the planet to eat a cream pie of mine and thank me for it. 

15 hours ago, Lucas said:

Not easy that and am gutted I can't have Bergkamp in there but this is me.

all-time-premier-league-xi-2022-19e18b03

Schmeichel will always be the O.G of Premier League keepers simply for how imposing and dominant he was for years.

Niche fact of the day:

Nigel Martyn and Tim Flowers made the PFA Team of the Year more times in the 90's than Peter Schmeichel.

Archived