talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group B - R1 - England 6-2 Iran - Monday 21st November, 2022

football forums

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

England should win this comfortably. Iran are going to play very defensively and hope for England to make mistakes at the back to create extra scraps to feed off of - but their best player and striker are going to be out. I doubt the mood in the Iran dressing room is that great, and there's rumours of divisions among the squad based off politics of being pro-protest v. pro-regime.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

England should win this comfortably. Iran are going to play very defensively and hope for England to make mistakes at the back to create extra scraps to feed off of - but their best player and striker are going to be out. I doubt the mood in the Iran dressing room is that great, and there's rumours of divisions among the squad based off politics of being pro-protest v. pro-regime.

England have slipped up in fixtures like this before. I pointed that out before when we won games that we were expected to that we dont always win them. What is the altitude like in Qatar? Anything that may affect us?

4 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

England have slipped up in fixtures like this before. I pointed that out before when we won games that we were expected to that we dont always win them. What is the altitude like in Qatar? Anything that may affect us?

It's a pretty flat country, idk the altitude though - but it's not like they're playing in a mountain range so it shouldn't make a big difference.

Have England slipped up in fixtures like this where they're playing a country that's spent the last few months in civil unrest? If England lose this, I think it'd be hilarious tbh.

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Jeez, how many of the 4 GKs will you be playing xD 

If you have any hopes of winning it or even doing well then you have to beat sides like Iran comfortably really.

They’ll be very defensive, wouldn’t be surprised if it ended up 0-0 at half-time with England scoring a goal or two in the second-half.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Jeez, how many of the 4 GKs will you be playing xD 

I'm sure if Carlos Queiroz was allowed to play more than 1 he would.

The man's been a great manager for Iran, undoubtedly... and international football with a side that have a whole lot of quality all around the squad sort of calls for the way he plays tbh - but his brand of football is incredibly defensive and negative. It works when the side can still create chances despite it, like going against Portugal and Spain in the last world cup... Iran performed really admirably considering the quality they were up against. I'm not sure how it'll work out against Southgate's own defensive brand of football though - I think it's got pretty high potential to being a bit shit to watch.

But England's the strongest side in this group by far - Iran's never made it out of the group stages. I think he's going to set up for a 0-0 draw tbh, the other games on paper look much more winable and a draw against England would be massive for Iran.

But England should be winning this. The run up to this world cup for Iran is nothing short of dysfunctional. They struggled to organise friendlies. Outside of football & just generally the feeling in Iran... a world cup in Iran is a huge event that promotes national unity and happiness for a country that doesn't have much unity or much to be happy about - but this year, I think there's a big question mark over how many people in Iran actually care about the world cup given what's happening there. Although I think it'll still be pretty highly watched because football doesn't take all day and because of the countries in the group. Regardless of how defensively they're set up, England should have the quality with the players they have to score at least to have a comfortable 2 goal lead or more by FT.

11 minutes ago, N U F C said:

If you have any hopes of winning it or even doing well then you have to beat sides like Iran comfortably really.

They’ll be very defensive, wouldn’t be surprised if it ended up 0-0 at half-time with England scoring a goal or two in the second-half.

To be fair Germany took till extra time to beat Algeria when they won it

Totally different era's, where far less players were Southampton's 2nd choice keeper or Sheffield United's dodgy full back, etc. But I think Italy started fairly slow in 1982. And in 1990 Argentina came 3rd in their group behind the mystifying, massive surprise package Cameroon & Romania. USSR were 4th in the Argentina group. Argentina had to get past Brazil in the Last 16 (of 24)

Got a feeling England have been on the end of 1 or 2 up turns in form off a slow starter.

52 minutes ago, N U F C said:

You beat Tsunisia with a last minute goal last world cup and made the semis. 

34 minutes ago, Machado said:

England 1-0 win or 1-1 draw.

I expect Iran to go through in this group. Largely a group of experienced players who know what they're supposed to do out there. Arguably have the best coach of the group too.

Wow, really?! I definitely don't xD - the squad's got some very good players (mostly Taremi & Azmoun tbh), some players that are pretty good-decent, and some players that are just... ok, I guess. Considering that a lot of Iranians don't have the best mental state right now because of what's happening in Iran - myself included tbh - and some of these players have friends/family/club teammates that have been arrested lately... I think that might weigh on a lot of players in a not very positive way. There's also reported divisions in the squad between those that are pro-freedom and those that are total dickheads (Torabi, for instance, is a little basiji piece of shit and I hope he doesn't get on the pitch at all).

I think America & Wales are beatable... and I certainly hope Iran can go through... but I don't think it's all that likely. It's never really happened before and this hasn't been the best time for Iran, as a country or a national team, in the run up to a tournament.

15 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

To be fair Germany took till extra time to beat Algeria when they won it

Algeria had a better team than Iran have now. Most of their players were playing in Europe.

Agree that a struggling win doesn't mean much as soon as the next game comes but struggling against this Iran team would be a bigger surprise.

1 minute ago, 6666 said:

Algeria had a better team than Iran have now. Most of their players were playing in Europe.

Agree that a struggling win doesn't mean much as soon as the next game comes but struggling against this Iran team would be a bigger surprise.

Yeah but you still wouldn't expect a team that struggles against Algeria to then beat Brazil 7.1 and go on and win the world cup. Iran will play defensively and will probably be hard to break down. If we struggle I'm not gonna read to much into it

Archived