Some people's stomach can only be filled with the dirt of grave 

- Popular saying

Is this your latest chat-up line?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
4 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Players will always follow the money. It was Italy. Now England. With 2 Spanish teams doing everything to stay an option. 

Messi does have an underlying Spanish preference. He would not have needed to learn a new language when he was young at Barcelona. He apparently did not feel at home in Paris. And Miami is actually majority Spanish.

He'd learn to speak Zulu if the money was right. 

4 hours ago, Devil said:

It doesn't matter what lifestyle you have you will always want to take it too another level.

He retires in a few years, he will know full well from his friends (ex pros) the difficulties of maintaining that lifestyle once that constant weekly mega wage comes in.

Say he's got 40-50 years left to live, three or four kids. Expensive school fees, new cars, expensive holidays, security and most of all the biggest drain....... a footballers wife!!

Trust me they can spend up. They still have means which they have to live within.

He is already a multimillionaire, he can already afford all that for the rest of his life.

4 hours ago, Devil said:

It doesn't matter what lifestyle you have you will always want to take it too another level.

He retires in a few years, he will know full well from his friends (ex pros) the difficulties of maintaining that lifestyle once that constant weekly mega wage comes in.

Say he's got 40-50 years left to live, three or four kids. Expensive school fees, new cars, expensive holidays, security and most of all the biggest drain....... a footballers wife!!

Trust me they can spend up. They still have means which they have to live within.

He is already a multimillionaire, he can already afford all that for the rest of his life.

16 minutes ago, Spike said:

you won't really know what his financial status is.  While you would assume he is living well his income means he is taking home say 5m a year but his lifestyle may be 4.5m a year.   To plan retirement from 36ish to 90 years you need about 5m pounds but if his lifestyle is as such to maintain it until old age he may need 20m or more to live it out at his current leisure levels.

as a rule of thumb, the richer you are, the more expensive it is to plan your life out..

32 minutes ago, Spike said:

To retire at 35 and not have to worry about earning money again you need more than they are currently earning. 

Their lifestyles are completely different they'd spend up in about 10 years no problem. 

Loads of ex pros go bankrupt. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Devil said:

To retire at 35 and not have to worry about earning money again you need more than they are currently earning. 

Their lifestyles are completely different they'd spend up in about 10 years no problem. 

Loads of ex pros go bankrupt. 

But a whole load also don't go bankrupt because they spend wisely. Make the right choices and investments now and you can be easily set up for life on a £10m/y contract. 

I get lifestyles are completely different, but so are their bank balances. 

• Subscriber

How many footballers that have played at the level that Neves, Henderson, etc. have do you actually hear about going bankrupt?

It's nigh-on impossible to spend £100k a week. And even if it was reasonably possible, footballers are largely sensible enough not to do so knowing that they're going to stop earning in their mid-30s.

The only footballers you really hear about hitting rock bottom *financially* after they retire are the ones who develop serious gambling addictions because betting is one of the only places you can physically spend that much money.

I can take the points about people getting addicted to money and always wanting more but these people largely just hoard that money so that they can enjoy the sight of their bank account filling up. I am simply not having that there's a feasible set of lifestyle habits that exist which you can't afford on £100k a week.

Let's just have it right. These lads are going to Saudi because they want more money and it's as simple as that. They're not doing it for their kids, they're not doing it for their grandkids or great grandkids, they're doing it for themselves.

23 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

you won't really know what his financial status is.  While you would assume he is living well his income means he is taking home say 5m a year but his lifestyle may be 4.5m a year.   To plan retirement from 36ish to 90 years you need about 5m pounds but if his lifestyle is as such to maintain it until old age he may need 20m or more to live it out at his current leisure levels.

For most people, even in an advanced wealthy nation such as the UK, £3 million would be more than enough to retire at 36 and live very comfortably until you are well into your 90's. Obviously you'd need to invest some of that £3 million in safe investments during that period, but you get the point. The median British pensioner(aged 65 and over) has a networth of around £250,000 and the UK is one of the wealthiest countries in the world. So if the majority of them are managing well, then I am sure a footballer retiring at 36 with 3 to 4 million pounds to his networth, will be fine.

The money these footballers are on is astronomical and it is mainly greed that spurs them on to search for new clubs that pay them millions more than the millions that they are already getting. I am not saying that I am blaming them for doing so, but these players are not joining these uber wealthy Saudi clubs because they want to secure their families future. For the likes of Ronaldo, Ruben Neves, Milinkovic-Savic, Mahrez, Brozovic, Telles etc. their families futures were secured years ago.

For most of them, their networths are already over £10 million. For those players who may have wasted most of their earnings through having a ridiculously expensive lifestyle, well that's their own doing and their own fault. However, I think that you will find that most top footballers invest their money wisely, right from when they start to earn their first millions in their early 20's.

47 minutes ago, Stan said:

But a whole load also don't go bankrupt because they spend wisely. Make the right choices and investments now and you can be easily set up for life on a £10m/y contract. 

I get lifestyles are completely different, but so are their bank balances. 

Yeah I get that but you are talking about taking risks, what Henderson is doing is removing those risks and needs.

1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

as a rule of thumb, the richer you are, the more expensive it is to plan your life out..

How the fuck is he spending 4.5mill a year? What is he buying a mansion a month? Once you get to a certain level of wealth you don’t need to spend money because you already own everything and investments generate passive income.

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Who gives a fuck? This entire summer has been constant posts of members criticizing how footballers should spend their money. Who are you to tell them how much they should or shouldn't need? 

I for one done give a fuck about how much somebody wants to earn. My point is the hypocrisy from Henderson in this whole thing. 

19 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Who gives a fuck? This entire summer has been constant posts of members criticizing how footballers should spend their money. Who are you to tell them how much they should or shouldn't need? 

I agree here,  they are rich and just because they want more money doesn't villianise them. 

18 minutes ago, Rick said:

I for one done give a fuck about how much somebody wants to earn. My point is the hypocrisy from Henderson in this whole thing. 

One slight correction,  it's not how much they want to earn,  but how much they were offered.  Very subtle difference with varying underlying arguments.    

If Henderson was going around demanding 700k a week I think 99.9% of clubs will be in their right mind to tell and aging over the hill player to get fucked.   If he is however offered that by a prospective employer then they see the value in him and will pay that to acquire his services. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Who is actually saying what they should or shouldn't need?

They can have all they want. Obviously none of us peasants can control or influence that. I just don't buy the argument of 'setting up their kids/grandkids' for life by making the move, as if they're on some kind of pittance before the move. 

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

How many footballers that have played at the level that Neves, Henderson, etc. have do you actually hear about going bankrupt?

It's nigh-on impossible to spend £100k a week. And even if it was reasonably possible, footballers are largely sensible enough not to do so knowing that they're going to stop earning in their mid-30s.

The only footballers you really hear about hitting rock bottom *financially* after they retire are the ones who develop serious gambling addictions because betting is one of the only places you can physically spend that much money.

I can take the points about people getting addicted to money and always wanting more but these people largely just hoard that money so that they can enjoy the sight of their bank account filling up. I am simply not having that there's a feasible set of lifestyle habits that exist which you can't afford on £100k a week.

Let's just have it right. These lads are going to Saudi because they want more money and it's as simple as that. They're not doing it for their kids, they're not doing it for their grandkids or great grandkids, they're doing it for themselves.

Doesn't Craig Bellamy now live in a council flat because his investments went wrong?

15 minutes ago, Stan said:

Who is actually saying what they should or shouldn't need?

They can have all they want. Obviously none of us peasants can control or influence that. I just don't buy the argument of 'setting up their kids/grandkids' for life by making the move, as if they're on some kind of pittance before the move. 

By suggesting that what he currently earns at Liverpool should be enough. Your argument is from the outside looking in as if you have any inclination on what his actual financial needs are and what he intends to do with it, or the actual safety net it provides. 

Batistuta had multiple big money moves away from Fiorentina/Roma but decided to stay as he felt he earned 'more than enough' with £6m a year. He's now struggling to keep his assets given the heavy tax that's placed in Argentina and he's still struggling to help fund his birth city Reconquista's infrastructure. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

By suggesting that what he currently earns at Liverpool should be enough. Your argument is from the outside looking in as if you have any inclination on what his actual financial needs are and what he intends to do with it, or the actual safety net it provides. 

Batistuta had multiple big money moves away from Fiorentina/Roma but decided to stay as he felt he earned 'more than enough' with £6m a year. He's now struggling to keep his assets given the heavy tax that's placed in Argentina and he's still struggling to help fund his birth city Reconquista's infrastructure. 

But what you've missed out from my argument (debate?) is my mention of 'choices' and 'investments'. 

It's purely based on presumption about financial needs, but when wages are publicly bandied about, you can get a good impression of what someone is at least earning, not what they do with the money. 

The Batistuta example - there are clearly external factors there which I know you can see. Heavy tax - a mitigating circumstance that would have come about regardless of what he earns. Struggling to help fund his birth city's infrastructure - a consequence of the former point, no?

2 hours ago, Rick said:

Are you honestly going to believe anybody is going to turn away 36 million a year because a few people may be upset about a PR run statement he made years ago.

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

But what you've missed out from my argument (debate?) is my mention of 'choices' and 'investments'. 

It's purely based on presumption about financial needs, but when wages are publicly bandied about, you can get a good impression of what someone is at least earning, not what they do with the money. 

The Batistuta example - there are clearly external factors there which I know you can see. Heavy tax - a mitigating circumstance that would have come about regardless of what he earns. Struggling to help fund his birth city's infrastructure - a consequence of the former point, no?

'Earning enough' is subjective though when you don't know his financial needs and intentions. If Batistuta's intention was to earn enough money to be at a point financially where after being heavily taxed he can still fulfil his desires on how he allocates that money (in this case help enhance Reconquista's infrastructure), then he didn't earn enough to fulfill that goal. If given the opportunity to back and take that Real Madrid move at £15-20m a year he probably would've taken it. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Cicero said:

'Earning enough' is subjective though when you don't know his financial needs and intentions. If Batistuta's intention was to earn enough money to be at a point financially where after being heavily taxed he can still fulfil his desires on how he allocates that money (in this case help enhance Reconquista's infrastructure), then he didn't earn enough to fulfill that goal. If given the opportunity to back and take that Real Madrid move at £15-20m a year he probably would've taken it. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

When the initial argument put forward is setting up your kids/grandkids (not building city's infrastructure - on that point, is he financing that alone, or with other investors, are there any other people that have failed him financially etc??), and unable to do that on £10m/year, then surely that raises some questions, no? Obviously 'enough' is subjective, but it does beg the question that if you can't do that as a multi-millionaire what are you doing wrong?

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Cicero said:

We're only talking about it. The fact that your average punters talking about football can't comprehend how people earning twice their annual salary (or more) every week want or need more than they're already getting shouldn't really come as a surprise.

If you're not interested in the debate then no need to comment. People can talk about what they want right? I don't give a rat's arse about the Darts or WWE or Music threads on this forum, so I don't read them, and don't need to post "who gives a fuck?" in those threads. Some people clearly do find this topic worth debate and comment. 

• Administrator

For reference, when talking about setting up children for life the first thing that comes to mind is schooling/university fees, considering they're the years that parents would pay for their children before they can start earning for themselves.

The most expensive school in UK costs approximately £50,000/year. So for school years, let's say 5-18y/o. 13 years at £50,000 is £650,000. 

Even if you have 2 kids, that's £1.2m to cover both kids for those 13 years in total.

Tuition fees for universities are £9,250/year. Let's say the kid does a 5-year medical course, cost is £46,250. Add in living costs - let's say £3500/m (high end in central London for example) for 5 years. That's £210,000. 

So we're talking £650,000 + £46,250 + £210,000 = That's £906,250 from aged 5 through to 23 (school + 5 years at uni + living costs) in total, not per year. Let's round that up to £1m to be generous.

Now, with Henderson's wage at Liverpool apparently being £5m/year since 2018, he's already earned £25m.

Even if he put away £5m across his current contract (not even taking into account previous wages/contract), and not even touch it or even stick it in various accounts to gain interest on it etc, he has £20m spare to 'set up his kids, grandkids. Even if you doubled the cost if he has 2 kids, that's £2m costs to cover and he's still got £20+m to play with. 

Obviously there's his own personal costs to factor in - mortgage, bills, luxuries, cars. Stick £10m to the side, if you must. If you're telling me he can't set up future generations on £10m/year that's remaining then there's something badly wrong or he needs a new financial advisor. 

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

When the initial argument put forward is setting up your kids/grandkids (not building city's infrastructure - on that point, is he financing that alone, or with other investors, are there any other people that have failed him financially etc??), and unable to do that on £10m/year, then surely that raises some questions, no? Obviously 'enough' is subjective, but it does beg the question that if you can't do that as a multi-millionaire what are you doing wrong?

Setting up his family/future generations could be just one of the many things a player has on their mind with how they utilise their new funds. Investment plans to better communities, charities, food allocation, infrastructure development to help impoverished cities (most cases being their place of birth), creating a safety net, etc, etc, etc. Thinking it is primarily for self serving purposes is probably one aspect in the grand scheme of it. 

My mother-in-law grew up with Batistuta and he has an estate about 30 miles away from my grandfather-in-law, and she states the city have been pestering him for more and more money to help build the community and its still becoming difficult to even develop new roads. Reconquista is a very poor area and the government is pretty shitty at the moment with fund allocation. Literally all they have to turn to is Batistuta. 

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

We're only talking about it. The fact that your average punters talking about football can't comprehend how people earning twice their annual salary (or more) every week want or need more than they're already getting shouldn't really come as a surprise.

If you're not interested in the debate then no need to comment. People can talk about what they want right? I don't give a rat's arse about the Darts or WWE or Music threads on this forum, so I don't read them, and don't need to post "who gives a fuck?" in those threads. Some people clearly do find this topic worth debate and comment. 

I am interested in this debate and since this is literally the 3rd or 4th time this discussion has been brought up about player X already earns enough money amidst a Saudi move, I am simply questioning why a fuck continues to be given?

Archived