talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jordan Henderson Moves to Al Ettifaq

football forum

18 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Not saying we should sell him for free... we shouldn't be dealing with them at all. 

You're OK with it, I'm not.

No big deal mate.

I’d prefer to not do business with them too tbh. But if they’re coming in and turning our players heads and the owners are going to do the business with them I want us getting as much money from the cunts as possible.

I don’t think it’s really in the leagues interest to just accept the Saudi clubs doing what Chinese clubs were doing. I don’t think they’ve got the same risk as China’s govt pulling the rug completely out from the league. But the Saudi government is good at turning investment into influence, so I worry about what this means for the future of football. MBS having an ownership interest in the PGA probably wasn’t something anyone expected.

They already own a few politicians, so fuck knows what else they want from the UK.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I’d prefer to not do business with them too tbh. But if they’re coming in and turning our players heads and the owners are going to do the business with them I want us getting as much money from the cunts as possible.

I don’t think it’s really in the leagues interest to just accept the Saudi clubs doing what Chinese clubs were doing. I don’t think they’ve got the same risk as China’s govt pulling the rug completely out from the league. But the Saudi government is good at turning investment into influence, so I worry about what this means for the future of football. MBS having an ownership interest in the PGA probably wasn’t something anyone expected.

They already own a few politicians, so fuck knows what else they want from the UK.

Can't disagree with any of that mate. Football is fucked.. you can see it coming I mile off. 

If this deal falls apart, on thing is for sure; he should have the captaincy taken from him. After the stance he made on LGBTQ rights, to even entertain this sort of offer from a country where tit is illegal shows exactly the type of person he is. I’ve lost all respect for him. 

1 hour ago, Rick said:

If this deal falls apart, on thing is for sure; he should have the captaincy taken from him. After the stance he made on LGBTQ rights, to even entertain this sort of offer from a country where tit is illegal shows exactly the type of person he is. I’ve lost all respect for him. 

I don’t know if I agree with that. He’s lost a lot of respect for me off the pitch, but he’s our captain on the pitch.

For me it matters how the rest of the squad feels about him if he stays more than it matters how the fans feel.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don’t know if I agree with that. He’s lost a lot of respect for me off the pitch, but he’s our captain on the pitch.

For me it matters how the rest of the squad feels about him if he stays more than it matters how the fans feel.

How can you have somebody as your captain who wants to leave the club? 

Surely the captain is the one to inspire commitment and hard work from the rest. 

1 hour ago, Rick said:

Surely the captain is the one to inspire commitment and hard work from the rest. 

He's currently captain even though he's been told he's going to have limited game time this season if everyone is fit compared to previous seasons. It's a role for the dressing room, mostly. We've had one big dressing room leader leave in Milner, Henderson's been a total professional his entire time here and has a lot of respect amongst the squad. By all accounts he's the leader, even if on the pitch most of the time it's probably going to be Virgil wearing the armband (and I assume Robertson, Trent or Salah would be next in line).

Surely with so many changes this season in the squad, it's better to have as much continuity in leadership as possible. Our strongest front 3 is probably Diaz - Gakpo - Salah, that's two relatively new players. Our strongest midfield is... I'm not even sure because Fabinho and/or Henderson might be out, but it's going to have Alexis and uhhh... I can't remember how to spell his name, so I'll call him Dommy Schlobbers - both are brand new signings. If Henderson doesn't take a cut in proposed salary to allow Ettifaq to afford a transfer fee for him, I don't see any reason to cause more disharmony in the dressing room.

Quite frankly, with so many of our players and former players (including Gerrard as a manager) at Saudi clubs - I don't really expect players to quite represent the ethos and values of the club and the community it represents, other than the ones actually from Merseyside. Gerrard will always be my favourite player after Fowler - but I've got little respect for him as a person... and tbf I didn't really have much respect for him before he made this move (and then decided to unsettle our captain with huge amounts of cash, expecting us to give him a handout and let our captain with 2 years left on his contract to leave for free to get paid £700k a week - it's absolutely ridiculous) considering his ties with Irish drug trafficking cartels. I'll hold Trent & Curtis to that higher standard that Gerrard failed to meet because they should know better. But at the end of the day, I think football has shown us pretty significantly that morality is on sale.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Rick said:

As a fan of a club who made Tielemans captain despite him stalling on contract and making it clear he was leaving, I can fully back this thinking xD

17 hours ago, Rick said:

Yeah, I wouldn't want to play in a country where tits are illegal either 🥷

2 hours ago, 6666 said:

Judging him more harshly because you think he's a nice guy seems a bit unfair.

It’s not that I think he’s some great guy or anything like that which makes me judge him. It’s purely from his very vocal and active stance on LGBTQ rights, and the fact he is completely throwing all of that down the drain because of money. I don’t respect that one bit. 

8 hours ago, 6666 said:

Judging him more harshly because you think he's a nice guy seems a bit unfair.

I think it’s more judging him harshly for pretending to have values when he probably doesn’t have those values but thought it would be better for his “brand” to pretend to have values.

Well I hope whoever used the monkey paw for our midfield rebuild is happy. Now our 2 senior midfielders that aren't totally new to the squad going into the season will be Thiago, who we can rely on to be fit for maybe... half the season... and Curtis Jones.

I guess it's time Curtis steps up and shows he can play more regular first team football with us. We definitely need to sign a replacement for Fabinho who can slot in immediately, I think. None of our current midfielders can really fill that role other than Bajcetic (who's only 18 and coming off the back of a bad injury).

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it’s more judging him harshly for pretending to have values when he probably doesn’t have those values but thought it would be better for his “brand” to pretend to have values.

Still think that's harsh.

You can still have those values while still collecting a lot of money from people that might not share those values. It's not a contradiction in my opinion. Same way I don't think anyone that plays for Man City hates gays.

22 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Jones would be a starter at most clubs tbh. 

He looked good at the end of last season and I've heard he recently impressed for the England U21s - so I'm more hopeful than I was at the beginning of last season.

I'm still worried about the number of big personalities in the dressing room no longer being around though.

10 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Still think that's harsh.

You can still have those values while still collecting a lot of money from people that might not share those values. It's not a contradiction in my opinion. Same way I don't think anyone that plays for Man City hates gays.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think it's hard to say you're an ally of gays and then go collect a king's ransom from the public fund of a country that punishes gay people with death. It makes a mockery of his advocacy for them tbh, I think it's pretty understandable that a public figure who once acted like he stood for a cause gets a lot of shit for selling out his values for a lot of cash.

Kind of is exactly the kind of situation that phrase "talk is cheap" comes from.

I have no issue with people taking their money, I do have issue with their human rights but that shouldn't stop people milking them.

Hopefully all these players won't give a fuck and basically do a Carlos Tevez in China.

• The title was changed to Jordan Henderson Moves to Al Ettifaq