talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nottingham Forest

• Administrator

With their corrupt owner, it was only a matter of time... 

Mail Sport understands that those who left the club this summer were due to be paid their bonuses for last season, which include Premier League survival payments, at the end of July.

However, those have failed to materialise. It can also be disclosed that a number of agents, also owed millions, are now considering legal action, which could potentially see winding up petitions issued against the club.

They have been left waiting for commission payments on transfers and are ready to escalate matters, should the debts not be settled imminently.

Should Forest continue to delay, it could have serious ramifications. Last season, following promotion from the Championship, Forest embarked on a wide-ranging shopping spree, bringing 21 players to the City Ground in a hectic summer window. By the end of the year that figure had reached 30, leaving them with a hefty bill to pay agents. 

Forest declined to comment. Players who remain at the club are due to be paid their bonuses at the end of August. It is thought that those who have left will received their fees at the same time. 

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Didn't they spend about £150m altogether last season in transfer fees alone?

Truly wreckless by Forest.

Yeah, it was always dodgy. 

Imagine waiting decades to come back up to the premier league to be a shadow of your former glory (not that their last season in the top flight before going down and being lost in the wilderness was anything to write home about, but for decades under Clough they were one of the top sides in the league then) only to have it all built on a house of cards.

I feel for their fans tbh, it looks like they may be spending a long time struggling again after this.

This is the problem with England's FFP. It was supposed to stop bad decisions that ruin clubs but people only talk about it in terms of stopping people challenging the hegemony of the commercial elite.

We've lost sight of the Leeds United the rules are supposed to be grounded in.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

This is the problem with England's FFP. It was supposed to stop bad decisions that ruin clubs but people only talk about it in terms of stopping people challenging the hegemony of the commercial elite.

The fit and proper test for new owners is absolute bullshit too, tbh. And we've seen lots of examples of owners coming in that are meant to be "fit and proper" but they end up being very far from being able to provide stability for the future of the clubs they buy.

It seems particularly egregious in Forest's case as they've got a guy who's been involved in a few Greek government corruption scandals... and has ties with organised crime.

13 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The fit and proper test for new owners is absolute bullshit too, tbh.

There have been some real, real fantasists since Covid that have been blocked from purchasing EFL clubs. So whilst it may be frustrating at the top of the pyramid, it's an absolute necessity further down that's doing its job to prevent another Bury.

The reality is under the new test, Marankis wouldn't have been able to purchase Forest due to his criminal history.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

Its a double edge sword though, if you open the gates completely we will have a league where the clubs with most money just dwarf everybody. Which would be great for you, but not fair on clubs like Brighton and Brentford who are genuinely run well. A 'state club vs state club vs state club' title race will just be as boring as the greedy six being up there every season.

There has to be a fairer way to implement FFP. The amount of money that Premier League clubs are borrowing to ensure a smooth cash flow whilst transfer fees are paid in installments (in Wolves case they've recently borrowed money from the government) suggests to me the whole system isn't as healthy as we perceive it to be.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

Its a double edge sword though, if you open the gates completely we will have a league where the clubs with most money just dwarf everybody. Which would be great for you, but not fair on clubs like Brighton and Brentford who are genuinely run well. A 'state club vs state club vs state club' title race will just be as boring as the greedy six being up there every season.

There has to be a fairer way to implement FFP. The amount of money that Premier League clubs are borrowing to ensure a smooth cash flow whilst transfer fees are paid in installments (in Wolves case they've recently borrowed money from the government) suggests to me the whole system isn't as healthy as we perceive it to be.

Never said open the gates, I was merely saying we are talking about FFP only ever from the context of the commercial elite. 

I ask this, why is the safety of Malcolm Glazier's leveraging more of a vocalised concern to a Crystal Palace Fan than say Aston Villa having walked straight past you and Brentford with mass outside investment?

We are so bent to viewing the world through the lens of the commercial elite.

We are accepting the fate of some clubs, like Palace, as if unimportant. To accept the numbers currently allowed and capable of bypassing. The fear is more turn up if the rules are removed? Doesn't that sum up the often remarked point that FFP is to protect the status quo of the time it was written.

11 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Never said open the gates, I was merely saying we are talking about FFP only ever from the context of the commercial elite. 

I ask this, why is the safety of Malcolm Glazier's leveraging more of a vocalised concern to a Crystal Palace Fan than say Aston Villa having walked straight past you and Brentford with mass outside investment?

We are so bent to viewing the world through the lens of the commercial elite.

In my defence, I have pulled up people on 'why don't we care about Villa' before on this forum (ive been doing the same about Watford/Udinese with Newcastle/Chelsea/PIF elsewhere) but you probably recognise I'm a vastly intelligent human playing 3D chess whilst the average fan plays checkers.

Too late isn't it, they have stayed up and others have gone down as a result. They got so so lucky they really did.

They are 100% going down this season, absolute turd they are and then it'll be like rats leaving a sinking ship.

The best two commodities they have are Brennan Johnson and Morgan Gibbs-White, that's literally it and if they are in that much of the shit, they'll have to sell one definitely, maybe even both.

My only hope is that we pass them on their way down with a smug smile because it'll serve as some form of redemption.

Edited by Lucas
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
  • Subscriber

The Premier League is going to make an even bigger mockery of itself at this rate. Going to end up with multiple bottom half and mid table teams with points penalties that are under appeal while City and probably Chelsea keep their cases tied up in courts for years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

"Understood to have been very cooperative with the Premier League". Poor damned fools. We've seen where that gets you. They should have done a City and agreed a court date on their terms in the distant future to give their accountants and lawyers long enough to get the smoke and mirrors together for their defence.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

"Understood to have been very cooperative with the Premier League". Poor damned fools. We've seen where that gets you. They should have done a City and agreed a court date on their terms in the distant future to give their accountants and lawyers long enough to get the smoke and mirrors together for their defence.

Mate there is nothing sustainable about Forest’s spending in the slightest

Edited by Danny

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, Danny said:

Mate there is nothing sustainable about Forest’s spending in the slightest

Enough people have made ill-informed claims about Everton's case that I'm reluctant to go spouting off about Forest in case they have their own mitigating factors that the media have largely overlooked and the club have failed to get into the public sphere. But yes, if I remember correctly that Forest actually signed over 25 players last season despite the fact that you can only register that many to play, from the outside looking in, that does look hard to defend.

I'm not on about the offence though, I'm being tongue in cheek but there is a valid comment in there about the process. Everton were transparent and cooperative with the Premier League to the point where we basically checked with them that every transfer and dealing was fine with them as far as FFP is concerned and it didn't do us any favours. Man City have been obstructive and evasive with their case and managed to buy themselves extra time as a result. Regardless of whether they have a case to answer or not, if they think transparency will get them any leniency with this lot then they're sadly mistaken.

It amazes me how so many Nottingham Forest fans are jumping to the defence of Maranakis. Anybody could have seen how reckless and irresponsible it was to sign 30 players, spend €195m+ on players, and pay huge wages for a promoted club on players like Lingard, Henderson, Navas, Ayew etc. He was not ambitious he was incredibly irresponsible.

Certainly always seemed like something OTT about how Forest did things. I mean, yes, they do have 2 Euro stars. So someone at some stage was going to be attracted to spaffing crazy money around on them. And my club had to sign up a bunch of players to fill out the squad, 1st season back. e.g. Mings & El Ghazi being signed up perm, having been a Championship loan, etc. But, Forest did feel like a level beyond that. They really should have had a few more Matty Cash (signed for Prem Villa from Championship Forest) level players to give a Premier League try to.

Edited by Reluctant Striker

• The title was changed to Nottingham Forest