talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 5 - 16-18th September, 2023

football forum

Massive game for us, we’ve struggled with Newcastle since coming up and have conceded a lot.

I think we’ll take a lot from the game at home last season where they were fortunate to come away with points, and of course their slow start this season.

The difficulty we have today is that they have made big changes in the starting eleven which means it could change how we expect them to play.

We’re reverting back to the 5-3-2 that has done us so well against the top 6 last season. Imagine the game plan is to frustrate, close down the space in behind, force them to play the ball and try and hit them on the counter attack.

We have a strong bench but it’s a shame Ajer isn’t available as a third CB as his pace on the counter with Henry is deadly.

Don’t know what to expect as far as the result goes, we’ve played really well all season but given gifts of goals away to Palace and Bournemouth which means we’ve dropped an easy 4 points over two games. I’d take a draw.

Edited by Danny

I hope that Roy Hodgson gets the treatment that he needs in hospital. The pressure of being a manager for a Premier League club is intense for most, let alone a manager who is 76 years old. I like seeing Hodgson still managing at the highest level, but his health is more important than anything else. Here's to hoping that he makes a quick recovery.

24 minutes ago, Danny said:

Massive game for us, we’ve struggled with Newcastle since coming up and have conceded a lot.

I think we’ll take a lot from the game at home last season where they were fortunate to come away with points, and of course their slow start this season.

The difficulty we have today is that they have made big changes in the starting eleven which means it could change how we expect them to play.

We’re reverting back to the 5-3-2 that has done us so well against the top 6 last season. Imagine the game plan is to frustrate, close down the space in behind, force them to play the ball and try and hit them on the counter attack.

We have a strong bench but it’s a shame Ajer isn’t available as a third CB as his pace on the counter with Henry is deadly.

Don’t know what to expect as far as the result goes, we’ve played really well all season but given gifts of goals away to Palace and Bournemouth which means we’ve dropped an easy 4 points over two games. I’d take a draw.

I hope Brentford get something out of their match against Newcastle today. They are one of the best run clubs in the country in my opinion.

Also it's nice to see the teenager Yarmolyuk on the bench, he's been named on the bench for every Brentford Premier League match this season, but he is yet to make his Premier League debut. He's seems to start and has made regular appearances in Cup games for Brentford, but making his Premier League debut will be the icing on the cake for the young lad.

12 minutes ago, Michael said:

I hope Brentford get something out of their match against Newcastle today. They are one of the best run clubs in the country in my opinion.

Also it's nice to see the teenager Yarmolyuk on the bench, he's been named on the bench for every Brentford Premier League match this season, but he is yet to make his Premier League debut. He's seems to start and has made regular appearances in Cup games for Brentford, but making his Premier League debut will be the icing on the cake for the young lad.

Yarmolyuk was promoted from the B Team in the Summer, the club like him a lot. At this point in the season I can’t imagine he’ll get much game time outside of the Cup games, but if we’re 3-4 goals up in a game or if ww struggled with bodies due to injury he might get his chance. Currently the B Team player who gets played the most is Olakigbe who is a winger, a bit easier a position to bring on if we’re chasing a game. Also very good.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Sounds like a sickener for you today..

Some drama in injury time at Villa and Spurs.

image.thumb.png.06116707cc727137936f4a3c557c2a96.png

Its the lack of consistency i find jarring. They spent ages at the monitor to see whether something that was supposed to be 'clear and obvious' was a penalty, and then missed the blatant encroachment.

Feels like if Palace had held on for 0-1, or maybe even 1-1, then their plan would have worked. But, Villa found a big finish. It has been more customary for Emery-Villa to hit 2 or 3 early goals in the opening 15 minutes rather than the final 15.

Looking forward to seeing exactly how far offside Diaby was in the first half. And exactly WTF was going on for around 5 minutes before the ref apparently refused to change his mind on the penalty.

For me, promising to see Villa overcome some genuine adversity. And win in a different manner.

Exciting phase of the season ahead, with European games regularly over the next few months. Legia Warsaw (a) midweek. Chelsea (a) next weekend. Poch assuring all Chelsea fans of European football next season..

Annoying. We’ve defended well and reduced Newcastle to few chances, the Flekken mistake and then Hickey putting him under pressure with that pass is just unneeded. Need to change shape and go for it, get Schade on and put that slow defence of Newcastle’s under pressure

• The topic was unpinned