talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

I don't think it's bedwetting time just yet. Unless Daniel Sturridge is the player in question, 'up to 4 months' usually means 2 or 3 (in fact, more reliable journalists have said three months is the worst case scenario). In the mean time, we've got Can, Coutinho, Henderson and Wijnaldum for three midfield places, as well as the likes of Milner and Grujic who can play a few minutes as and when.

That said, I wonder if this news will push us to go back in for Oxlade-Chamberlain.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

You need to be able to rotate otherwise we'll get what happened last season and they'll run out of steam in January. No guarantee Coutinho is staying either

This. Last season already saw the strain put on the players with the way they were playing and how the momentum just fizzled when some of the key players got injured and Klopp had to tweak his system. With CL football on the horizon and the league its definitely important to rotate these players effectively.

19 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Klopp's plugging the 'Milner is a new midfielder' line so I wouldn't expect any incomings there. Also pretty much confirmed Moreno is staying.

I'm not too upset about that. Obviously I wanted Keita because he's quality and Klopp clearly wants him, but I don't think we really needed another midfielder. A centre back is absolutely vital, though.

Moreno staying doesn't really matter. Hopefully he won't play much (at all?) in serious competitive football, but he's not a nasty guy who's going to cause problems in the dressing room and we don't need to sell him for funds or anything like that.

Don't think Milner's any good in central midfield to be honest. There's a reason he never played there for City. We might have a fair amount of numbers but there's little quality after the first choices.

Klopp's talking like Robertson and Moreno are going to battle it out for the left beck spot, freeing Milner up for midfield. 

• Subscriber

After his performance last season with Palace I am surprised no one actually came in for him but judging by how much people were willing to pay versus what they wanted for him I can see why that exit hasn't happened just yet.

4 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Wonder if Sakho is our 'new centre back'?

Yep, most likely...either that or we will be seeing more of Joe Gomez than we thought. I rate the lad, but we shouldn't be relying on the him and Klavan as back up. I'm very fucking disappointed so far this window, we have ignored the holes in the squad YET AGAIN....and people can say "there's a month left" all they want but judging from these recent comments it looks like we are pretty much done, and thats a shambles.

Assuming we don't sign VVD (because I don't think we will) - do you think we'll sign another CB? Is another CM likely, we've been linked with a lad from Ajax, but I've got no clue how good of a source it is tbh.

As things stand now, Salah looks like a good singing and someone that will help our attack. And Robertson is a left back that's got promise, for sure, but it looks as though Moreno will be the starter for our first match... and Solanke looks good but is only a kid. And we've also really just watched friendlies, which are fairly meaningless other than for the players to find fitness. I'm not sure it looks like a good summer for us if things don't stay the same.

Having said all that, keeping things as is is probably better than making panic buys that just hold us back.

If I'm making a prediction, I think we'll get Van Dijk but Coutinho will go. If that happens, it's still a poor window for Liverpool

Should have said, I'm not expecting any other business to get done

Edited by LFCMike

7 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

If I'm making a prediction, I think we'll get Van Dijk but Coutinho will go. If that happens, it's still a poor window for Liverpool

Should have said, I'm not expecting any other business to get done

I think if we lose Coutinho without bringing in a top notch attacker, which lets be honest, any alternative that's as good or better is likely not going to be signed by us... I'd call this an awful window. Gaining VVD and losing Coutinho would represent serious regression to me.

Paul Joyce has an article in The Times today, again saying we're not selling Coutinho and that club officials are baffled by reports that the deal is done or that there's a Barcelona delegation coming to agree it. Nothing we didn't already know. However, the lede that he buried in that story is that Coutinho's a doubt for both the Watford and Hoffenheim matches next week.

All of a sudden we look quite thin in midfield. Wijnaldum, Henderson and Can we can trust, but I'm a little concerned about the rest.

Edited by Burning Gold

What's the point in him staying now? We may aswell just let him leave because we haven't shown any ambition for him to want be here anymore, If we actually spent heavily on the players we were after like the teams above us you could make a case that keeping coutinho is essential but we're happy to just be back in the champions league and settle for what we have now.

im sorry but the lad will just be wasting another year of his career staying here when he could be challenging for honours with Barcelona right away if he goes there.

We should have been way clearer that we would not sell coutinho. John Henry and Klopp both come out and very clearly and convincingly make clear they won't sell.

The headlines have had a negative effect on morale and expectations prior to season start and we should have done more to stop them. 

We have added basically no depth this summer and we have another 10 games to play than last year. We need bodies. 

Edited by Harry

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

We should have been way clearer that we would not sell coutinho. John Henry and Klopp both come out and very clearly and convincingly make clear they won't sell.

The headlines have had a negative effect on morale and expectations prior to season start.

What more could we have done mate? The nonsense, baseless stories from Spanish and Brazilian sources were inevitable because it's a big story and it was in Barcelona's interest to stir the pot. There'll probably be a few more between now and the end of the window; can't stop them printing whatever they want.

Edited by Burning Gold

• The title was changed to Liverpool Discussion