talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Pretty friendly group for us which is a good thing.

I wouldn't have minded having one juicier team in it just for some special atmosphere and match ups but it puts us in with a better chance of topping the group or as a minimum going through the group. 

We need to stake a claim in the CL this year and put memories of that last embarrassing whimper of a CL campaign under BR behind us.

Absolutely. We haven't had a proper Champions' League campaign for nearly a decade and I sorely miss it. Could also do with getting our coefficient up because we got very lucky with the group draw this time around.

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Not at all mate, just thought they might as well have a place to release their frustrations instead of talking about the same thing in every thread :D

To be fair, they are shit. Mignolet did well last season, but he had a very hairy moment in the Hoffenheim game yesterday when he flapped at a cross and then dropped the recovery. If he goes back to the form of every season except the last one, I am going to shit a chicken.

Although I thought Karius was a step below Mignolet when he first arrived, I still felt he should be 1st-choice considering his potential.

However, I really can't remember the last time Mignolet really blundered. He's still a bit weak aerially, but tbh I don't feel he's worth replacing unless a guaranteed top-class performer comes in. 

Rn, Mignolet until Karius can take over seems like a passable state of affairs. 

3 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Although I thought Karius was a step below Mignolet when he first arrived, I still felt he should be 1st-choice considering his potential.

However, I really can't remember the last time Mignolet really blundered. He's still a bit weak aerially, but tbh I don't feel he's worth replacing unless a guaranteed top-class performer comes in. 

Rn, Mignolet until Karius can take over seems like a passable state of affairs. 

He's cut the big errors out of his game (although there was that moment against Hoffenheim I referred to) but he remains a fairly poor shot stopper, organiser, distributor, etc., so his inadequacy goes under the radar a little these days. Unfortunately, Karius doesn't seem much better, and I fear his signing was a wasted opportunity.

28 minutes ago, Danny said:

Who would you replace Mignolet with?

Obviously as good a goalkeeper as we could get, but someone like Schmeichel or Fraser Forster would do. Ultimately, though, it's pointless to speculate because, as MadLad's catchphrase goes, Klopp's happy with our goalkeeping options.

I personally think Mignolet is mediocre and not a goalkeeper for Liverpool's stature and for me the most important part is looking at successful periods in the club's history.  If you look at that, Liverpool have always had a very good keeper or at least a massive character than had respect from it's team.  Mignolet is small in that aspect!

Who could replace him... There are various keepers around the world you could do this with and keepers aren't as expensive as outfield players (except for the elite keepers obviously and there are only 3 or 4 of those).

As for Alberto Moreno...  He's been given plenty of chances and he doesn't seem to be able to be balanced enough in his football which isn't good for a team vying to compete for honours.  I thought at one point that he was going to be the business as many also thought this.  But that's why football isn't a science in that aspect!  There aren't too many elite full-backs in the world today in my view and the few that seem to be more complete will cost a hell of a lot of money.

What's for sure is that those details need to be addressed at Liverpool for them to take the next step up because it's not just about scoring goals and way too much focus is put on that these days.  Liverpool are pretty fine in the attacking sense and Klopp does have a vision on how he wants his teams to play in that sense.  As for his building process on the defensive side of things, he seems to be a bit of a charlatan in that aspect...  There is no plan, there is no tactic because the tactic is to press like mad and hope that the massive energies spent in those high energy pressing moments have paid off and have almost won the game.  I've seen way too many games with Liverpool where they've done this, looked like having the game won and then collapse.

Also in my opinion their holding side of midfield is mediocre.  A top quality player is needed in that area and they are also expensive...  Every club looks for players like these and the potential selling club knows this as well as the player and his agent.  This is why it's difficult to sign players right now and to do so you have to spend a hell of a lot of money with overvaluations.

3 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

He's cut the big errors out of his game (although there was that moment against Hoffenheim I referred to) but he remains a fairly poor shot stopper, organiser, distributor, etc., so his inadequacy goes under the radar a little these days. Unfortunately, Karius doesn't seem much better, and I fear his signing was a wasted opportunity.

Obviously as good a goalkeeper as we could get, but someone like Schmeichel or Fraser Forster would do. Ultimately, though, it's pointless to speculate because, as MadLad's catchphrase goes, Klopp's happy with our goalkeeping options.

I like Schmeichel, Forster would be no better than Mignolet imo.

• Subscriber

I'd take Sergi Roberto from that lot just because I think he has the energy to cut it with the way Klopp wants to play. As for Migs and Moreno we can all agree that they're both 'generally' shit but they've got redeeming spells to keep them around til suitable replacements arrive.

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, FOYM said:

So we have Spartak Moscow, Sevilla and Maribor in the group. We should get out of that.

On paper and the timing of players coming back this looks like we'll get out. I don't think any of the games will be easy because I am sure most teams know that this team can attack so they'll play more defensive than normal but if we get some squad rotation going and keep everyone fit I don't see any reason we don't get out of this. 

On a totally different note, if someone teaches Gini to finish I think that would be a huge asset to have. The guy gets into such promising positions and should be tucking those chances away. 

Edited by Mel81x

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

On paper and the timing of players coming back this looks like we'll get out. I don't think any of the games will be easy because I am sure most teams know that this team can attack so they'll play more defensive than normal but if we get some squad rotation going and keep everyone fit I don't see any reason we don't get out of this. 

On a totally different note, if someone teaches Gini to finish I think that would be a huge asset to have. The guy gets into such promising positions and should be tucking those chances away. 

Totally agree. Has been getting some good looks lately but overall hasn't really delivered on the goals front since he joined compared to his prior record. 

If things click in that area he could provide us a tidy return of goals from central midfield. 

• The title was changed to Liverpool Discussion