talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

7 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Steven Gerrard announced as Liverpool U-18's coach:

gerrard-klopp_3539181b.jpg

Steven Gerrard is set to take charge of Liverpool's U18 team from next season.

The Reds legend has been working at the club's Academy since January having taken a floating role across numerous age groups, but will take over the U18s in the summer. He has regularly been seen on the sidelines with the U18s since he started and travelled with them for their 2-1 defeat at Reading last Saturday.

Gerrard's appointment will lead to a reshuffle at Kirkby, with current U18s coach Neil Critchley potentially moving up to the U23s. Mike Garrity has been in temporary charge there since the departure of Michael Beale in December, but Critchley is highly thought of by Academy director Alex Inglethorpe, as well as first team manager Jurgen Klopp, and has played a big role in the progression of a number of the club's most talented youngsters.

Gerrard turned down the chance to manage League One side MK Dons in order to return to Liverpool after ending his playing career, and it is understood that this kind of progression was always planned for the 36-year-old, whose dedication and work ethic have been in clear evidence since his arrival at Kirkby.

Goods news Liverpool fans? As much as I hate the cunt this is a great move for him, imagine being a young 17 year old and being led by someone like Gerrard? His experience and love for the club he's now managing can't be bought and it can only lead to good things for me and is a much better option than managing MK Dons. 

You've pretty much nailed it mate. I think we'll see him progress through the age groups before been given a coaching role with the first team and then hopefully the main job. This all obviously depends entirely on how good a job he does at each stage of his development. 

• Subscriber

I get the feeling we'll see more of Karius next season because Klopp does like him as is evident with the way he was still pushed back out to play after the mistakes he made. Giving him time might work out for us in the longer run but with the form Migs is in right now I don't think he'll take that chance.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

so that means Liverpool will probably sign a keeper. 

Highly doubt it. Klopp is rather stubborn with players he likes. Point in case is Roberto. He didn't look anything like what he does now but even when he was getting stick Klopp stuck with him. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Highly doubt it. Klopp is rather stubborn with players he likes. Point in case is Roberto. He didn't look anything like what he does now but even when he was getting stick Klopp stuck with him. 

it was more the fact it's 'Sky Sports News HQ understands' and that there's actually no direct quotes from Klopp. 

14 minutes ago, Stan said:

it was more the fact it's 'Sky Sports News HQ understands' and that there's actually no direct quotes from Klopp. 

Transfer stories very rarely have a direct quote until it's a done deal though. If there is a quote in a story such as this, where it's being reported the team won't try to strengthen a particular position, it's often a lie anyway.

In my experience, Sky Sports are usually pretty reliable themselves, although they do cite other media outlets indiscriminately.

I'm not mad about this news, which is a surprise given what I thought of Mignolet as recently as a few months ago. He's been much, much better since coming back into the team this season and, while Karius is clearly Klopp's man long term, I think the #1 spot is Mignolet's to lose.

33 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Roberto? As in Firmino? That's a horrible comparison to make if that's who you mean xD

Firmino is absolute quality and is one of Klopps favourite players (he wanted him at Dortmund). Karius is exactly what he should be which is back up to Mignolet because frankly, he's not as good. 

Just sign a fucking better keeper. I can picture a situation in like September or October next season where Mignolet's made a couple of fuck ups and we're swapping keepers again.

Whether we qualify for the Champions League or not we need a new one. If we qualify, what we have isn't good enough for that level. If we just miss out then the goalkeeper and the defence is going to be a big reason why we haven't (over the course of the season)

7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

So Sakho suffers an ACL injury which totally scuppers our leverage of selling him for the £20-£30m we would have got. 

Seriously, Our luck with injuries this season has been absolutely horrendous. 

Scuppers our chances of selling him at all, I'd say. I doubt he'll play at all next season.

Worse than the loss of a transfer fee, though, is the loss of our ability to use him as a pawn to secure the signing of Virgil van Dijk.

4 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Scuppers our chances of selling him at all, I'd say. I doubt he'll play at all next season.

Worse than the loss of a transfer fee, though, is the loss of our ability to use him as a pawn to secure the signing of Virgil van Dijk.

Cursed we are mate, fucking cursed. 

3 hours ago, Spike said:

Does Liverpool do the whole schtick with Heysel as well? Never hear too much about it. Kinda odd that Heysel isn't as entrenched in Juve's identity  as Hillsborough is to Liverpool.

Apparently Heysel was caused by 'West Ham and Chelsea fans in Liverpool shirts'...

13 hours ago, Spike said:

Does Liverpool do the whole schtick with Heysel as well? Never hear too much about it. Kinda odd that Heysel isn't as entrenched in Juve's identity  as Hillsborough is to Liverpool.

We do not. The cynical reason is that Liverpool fans were much more to blame for Heysel than for Hillsborough, and I'm sure there's an element of it, but that's not the main reason.

As has been said before, Hillsborough wasn't just about the deaths, it was about the slandering of the survivors that became the slandering of an entire city that was already feeling attacked (or at least let down) by the government of the day and it was about the cover up of the authorities' failings that went right to the very top. That's why we commemorate it like no other club does any tragedy.

We may see wounds start to heal now that the truth's out, but I personally wouldn't bank on it while those responsible still hold royal honours.

47 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

We do not. The cynical reason is that Liverpool fans were much more to blame for Heysel than for Hillsborough, and I'm sure there's an element of it, but that's not the main reason.

As has been said before, Hillsborough wasn't just about the deaths, it was about the slandering of the survivors that became the slandering of an entire city that was already feeling attacked (or at least let down) by the government of the day and it was about the cover up of the authorities' failings that went right to the very top. That's why we commemorate it like no other club does any tragedy.

We may see wounds start to heal now that the truth's out, but I personally wouldn't bank on it while those responsible still hold royal honours.

I see. Well I don't know how others would feel about it and I would never tell anyone how to feel but I'd be continuously irritated if I was constantly reminded of the death a loved one. My grandfather died in front of me on my 14th birthday and that was quite horrifying and I find it quite upsetting every year someone asks me about it. Yeah well, I don't want to think about how he died all the time, I'd rather remember his person. So what I'm saying is; surely there are a group of people that want to move past the yearly remembrance?

14 hours ago, Spike said:

I see. Well I don't know how others would feel about it and I would never tell anyone how to feel but I'd be continuously irritated if I was constantly reminded of the death a loved one. My grandfather died in front of me on my 14th birthday and that was quite horrifying and I find it quite upsetting every year someone asks me about it. Yeah well, I don't want to think about how he died all the time, I'd rather remember his person. So what I'm saying is; surely there are a group of people that want to move past the yearly remembrance?

I think the remembrance service and the fact that the families were lied to by the authorities are intrinsically linked though. I do see where you are coming from but Hillsborough affected many families and they were united in their shared grief, and indeed by the city, the football clubs of the city and football supporters in general. Their fans were branded as scum, there were lies about them 'pissing on their own dead' and robbing the victims bodies, spread via a certain 'news'paper, their fans were blamed for jibbing in when that wasn't the  cause of what happened and they've had to endure endless slander and lies for the best part of thirty years because the government and South Yorkshire police didn't have the decency to admit to their errors of judgement that caused the deaths of so many.

It isn't so much that they made these errors as, sadly, accidents do happen and people do die in tragic circumstances all the time - it's more the fact that these families were blatantly lied to and branded scum and the attempts to keep the truth from the grieving families meant that they have been unable to properly grieve for their friends and family members who never came home after going to watch an FA Cup semi final in a ground totally unfit for the event,

It almost happened to Spurs fans in their 1981 semi final against Wolves so why wasn't the obvious problems addressed in the intervening 8 years and, as they were not, why was Hillsborough chosen as the venue? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-27614689

As I say, I do understand what you're saying and I'm not having a go, just trying to give my personal opinion as to why the people of the city feel so strongly about it. I used to get annoyed about it myself and I do think there's a lot of reasons outside of Hillsborough for the 'Self Pity City' tag but I've come to realise that saying things like that genuinely does make people think you are referring to Hillsborough so, personally, I'd rather ignore it when they do it than upset people who have been through so much

Edited by Salford Kel
Forgot the link
  • Upvote 2

On 4/27/2017 at 9:51 PM, Spike said:

There was no massive government coverup of Heysel, people went to jail for it, and England was banned from European football (although it probably just should have been us banned, but honestly in the 80s English fans were generally dangerous cunts, so it was safe). Whereas we had an MP feed lies to a sensationalist scumbag to cover up the fact the ground shouldn't have been chosen for the match, and that the police basically crushed 96 people to death. And it wasn't until decades later that there was any sort of vindication from them. So it's a bit different...

Probably not to Juve fans... But it's not like they had to wait decades to not accused of killing their own. Because with Heysel it was clear what happened and there were things done to hold people responsible and Dole out punishment.

Meanwhile we've got Kelvin Mackenzie still at the sun, the MP responsible for the lies has had no punishment, nor has the police who admitted responsibility. And to be honest Sheffield Wednesday and the FA played a part in it too, as they should never been allowed to host it when Spurs fans were crushed.

• Upvote 3

• Subscriber

News flying around that we're breaking the bank to get Virgil in the summer? I can get behind that because hes a rather solid defender and will do the backline some good as well. Of course there's always the chance he'll come here and struggle initially and get lambasted for not being able to do his job as well but what the hell.

• The title was changed to Liverpool Discussion