talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 6 - 22-23rd September, 2023

football forum

Last second freekick, which the keeper also came up for, and instead of whipping it into the box, this Benson fella spins around a little and has a long range shot. Similar situation earlier when he wouldn't pass the ball and had a shot from far out.

Edited by 6666

• Subscriber

Brentford were clearly well off it yesterday but within the bounds of what our current team is capable of, we played well. Beto was a good focal point to the attack and we did well at moving the ball with purpose when we had it.

There is still evidence of our players bricking it under the slightest pressure because Brentford had chances between their equaliser and half time and we were all over the shop for their goal so it's not as if we can pretend we're good enough to start going and winning 50% of our games now or something but at least we've shown we can take advantage of those mid-table teams if they have an off-day.

We have Luton at home next which we really shouldn't have to worry about but you can take nothing for granted with Everton. Win that and we're back on an average of a point per game which usually puts you on track to stay up. With the fixtures we've had and the points we've thrown away, we should be going into the next international break in a better position than that but it is what it is. Yesterday's result shifts the needle back in our favour a bit regardless of what's gone before. Now need to build on that and put a run together.

Villa line up:  Martinez, Cash, Digne, Konsa, Pau, Kamara, Douglas Luiz, McGinn, Diaby, Watkins, Zaniolo.

J Ramsey is back on the bench & it feels like Villa have missed both him & Mings.

Mings was the one who talked, who would have been making sure midfielders were doing the right defensive, off the ball tracking & keeping shape. J Ramsey was starting to look very good at the hybrid role of being both an attacking player, yet also dropping back, with McGinn to team up with Kamara & Douglas Luiz, to block opposition playing through us. To often dominate midfields. Pau already seems excellent at passing, but not sure I'm seeing strong leadership. While Zaniolo, Bailey, etc, just are not used to being J Ramsey. Digne has been the only fit LB & is basically LWB. Arguably not best suited to a back 4.

Against Newcastle, Liverpool & in Europe vs Legia Warsaw, we have been found badly wanting. And for me, it's the organisation & player types not being available for the right opponent. It's not just 'high line'. It's playing a method trying to actually win, but with the further forward players contributing as though a defensive counter attack style is in use, to not lose. At this stage, given all the circumstance I still have hope Emery will get things resolved.

Chelsea are low on confidence. Especially in front of goal. But, if Villa let them boss midfield, they will cause problems.

It really is another game that could go either way. No result would surprise me.

0-0 at HT.

Chelsea did get the ball in the net, but was clearly offside. They did also have spells with plenty of the ball. Mudryk got a cross or 2 in,  yet nobody there on the end of it.

While Villa did have 1 spell of 4 or 5 corners, 1 after the other. Zaniolo & Digne both forcing a save from Sanchez.

Game very much there for the taking, by either side.

All over, We pushed hard for the leveller in the second half but just lacking some composure when it mattered... 6 games in and only 5 points and the same amount of goals.. That's relegation form in anyone's book.. 

Team looked frustrated at times and having the odd moan at each other, little niggly things just were not there in pre-season.. 

Chelsea 0-1 Villa

The ref generally had a poor game by the sound of things. 

For me, it really was a clash of a home side with their sort of pebble-dash mega money approach. Which right now just somehow doesn't seem to involve any players cut from the same cloth as Drogba, Costa, Lampard, Robben, etc, etc. And Villa who are now spending the standard going rate £20m to £40m sort of regions, with a tangible squad building plan, yet still a long way from the finished article.

It still feels significant to win vs Chelsea. But, I really do think confident sides, playing well, could have ended up with a very different result. Even despite a red card. So, great for the 3 points & to be 6th. But, I think Brighton at Villa Park will actually need a better performance.

• The topic was unpinned