talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 10 - 27-29th October, 2023

football forum

I do think we could be approaching a new era. The days where you can just spend the most, in itself create a new era & win lots, is just perhaps, maybe, possibly.. coming to an end. So many clubs are now spending £100m a season. At that point, spending £500m is not a guarantee of anything. Compared to £50m & £10m, the difference just gets less tangible. I really do think we could be hitting that point of diminishing returns, which I think is big business name of this ongoing Chelsea effect. Chelsea could still be the club that knocks Man City off the top. But, just as much, perhaps this is the start of a phase of time where 8th, 10th & 12th spend the most. And it all just comes up short.

I don’t think it’s a penalty. I think it’s really poor to look at it as much as the VAR did and still let the on field decision stand. Hwang clearly stops his leg, doesn’t follow through with the kick. Very harsh for me.

I mean you reap what you sow. 

The ownership/directors wanted to influx the squad with young, inexperienced players, this is what you get. Inconsistency and naivety. Jackson, Mudryk, and Madueke are just simply not at that level yet. 

Palmer. What a player though. 

Assuming that Pochettino is given the time it could take 2 or 3 seasons before we are competing seriously again, Until then we will see games where we shine and look half decent then have games like today where we lacked just about everything.. 

Don't know if it's because I am getting older now or because of the way football is in general but I seem to be totally lacking any emotional attachment when I watch games these days.. and not just Chelsea games either.. Didn't expect anything from today and didn't feel any disappointment when we lost, Don't even get excited when we score anymore, strange feeling really

• Subscriber

Just seen Saudi Arabia's first goal. A carbon copy of our disallowed goal on the opening day which cost us a likely three points against Fulham.

Colour me seven shades of shocked.

Some people aren't going to like this little rant of mine but I'll go for it anyway.

I don't know if anyone else saw the "We love you Saudi, we do" clip of the Newcastle fans the other day and I absolutely don't want to tar the whole fanbase with the same brush because the majority of the replies and quote tweets were other Newcastle fans calling them out, but what I will say is that in all the years of Chelsea and Man City's success, I've never seen as much evidence of them not just accepting that they've got controversial owners, but actually actively thriving off of it in the way I've seen sections of the Newcastle support do so over the course of just 18 months. The glee with which they celebrate the fact that other fans are upset with their success (for reasons I don't need to go over) just should not outweigh the embarrassment or shame or whatever you want to call it that comes with the circumstances that have led to their success. In fact, for this section of their fanbase, it actually seems to enhance it for them.

It really is galling as well when the rest of the country has practically been instructed to feel sorry for this 'sleeping giant' of a football club held back by their horrible owner. You'd think that there'd be some humility really but no, for this section of Newcastle's support, after cry-arsing for a decade about ownership scuppering their success, the second that the boot is on the other foot, everyone who points out the issues with their ownership is "salty" or "jealous" or whatever.

It shouldn't be too much to ask for them to meet the incredibly low bar set by Chelsea and Man City fans who largely just enjoy the ride without trying to be apologists/cheerleaders for the regimes behind their success.

Again, I don't want to tar the whole fanbase with the same brush. Im sure what I've seen on social media is a loud and stupid minority, but I've still seen enough to really put me off their success in a way that even Man City never have.

• Upvote 2

Even during all the spending anyone vaguely following what was going on at Chelsea was becoming increasingly confused as to exactly how many midfielders & wingers they were signing. Yes, there is a global shortage of goal scoring number 9s. But, perhaps that was the 1 position Todd Boehly should have departed from the tried & trusted YouTube FIFA career mode, of sell anyone over 27 & let the young lads get to 90 ratings. Perhaps. But, the longer it goes on, it is one less side to worry about.

7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Just seen Saudi Arabia's first goal. A carbon copy of our disallowed goal on the opening day which cost us a likely three points against Fulham.

Some people aren't going to like this little rant of mine but I'll go for it anyway.

I don't know if anyone else saw the "We love you Saudi, we do" clip of the Newcastle fans the other day and I absolutely don't want to tar the whole fanbase with the same brush because the majority of the replies and quote tweets were other Newcastle fans calling them out, but what I will say is that in all the years of Chelsea and Man City's success, I've never seen as much evidence of them not just accepting that they've got controversial owners, but actually actively thriving off of it in the way I've seen sections of the Newcastle support do so over the course of just 18 months. The glee with which they celebrate the fact that other fans are upset with their success (for reasons I don't need to go over) just should not outweigh the embarrassment or shame or whatever you want to call it that comes with the circumstances that have led to their success. In fact, for this section of their fanbase, it actually seems to enhance it for them.

It really is galling as well when the rest of the country has practically been instructed to feel sorry for this 'sleeping giant' of a football club held back by their horrible owner. You'd think that there'd be some humility really but no, for this section of Newcastle's support, after cry-arsing for a decade about ownership scuppering their success, the second that the boot is on the other foot, everyone who points out the issues with their ownership is "salty" or "jealous" or whatever.

It shouldn't be too much to ask for them to meet the incredibly low bar set by Chelsea and Man City fans who largely just enjoy the ride without trying to be apologists/cheerleaders for the regimes behind their success.

Again, I don't want to tar the whole fanbase with the same brush. Im sure what I've seen on social media is a loud and stupid minority, but I've still seen enough to really put me off their success in a way that even Man City never have.

For as long as I can remember they have been portrayed as this footballing behemoth that was awaiting the right moment. Alan Shearer nearly got them there. I can't recall the order of them, but mangers of Keegan & Bobby Robson got so far. And at that time, they did feel positive.

But the worst analysis I've encountered in recent times was Darren Ambrose. On Talksport. Battering Villa players for having shown such utter disrespect to Steven Gerrard, by having the audacity to be battering Brentford at Villa Park, right after Gerrard left. Just by having 2 DMs. And really giving it an unrestrained go, from kick off. I think a few said similar, but less memorably emphatic.

A year later, that same approach is still a core part of Villa's approach. Style of play. Identity. Whatever people call it.

Newcastle, they got further, just with Saudi oil money being dangled at the squad. And whatever magic wand Eddie Howe has access to. That is actually far more questionable, as to WTF was going so badly before hand. IMO. But that's just not even been a conversation. Anywhere.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Newcastle, they got further, just with Saudi oil money being dangled at the squad. And whatever magic wand Eddie Howe has access to. That is actually far more questionable, as to WTF was going so badly before hand. IMO. But that's just not even been a conversation. Anywhere.

I mean I think his magic wand pretty much consists of Steve Bruce being the ideal predecessor for any manager who wants to look amazing by comparison. xD

I don't think you can knock what Eddie Howe has done with some of those players but it's also fair to say that any mid-table/bottom-half squad would improve pretty rapidly if you sprinkle a few £40-60m signings into the mix.

• Subscriber

Rubbish game this. We've done well defensively but West Ham haven't exactly asked much of us either. We've been sloppy and bereft of ideas in the final third so haven't asked much of their defence either.

These are the days where the likes of Wolves and Fulham have been picking up a draw and occasionally nicking a win whereas we've been finding ways of losing 1-0 which is why we have to worry about being a part of one of the weakest relegation scraps in years whereas Wolves and Fulham with similarly poor but not dreadful teams have been distancing themselves from it. We need to stop losing such a disproportionate amount of tight games so for that reason I'd absolutely take a 0-0 now.

17 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Well said mate.

I don’t want to tar them all with the same brush but their fans online have made it very difficult.

Manchester United XI: Onana, Dalot, Lindelof, Maguire, Evans, Amrabat, McTominay, Eriksen, Fernandes, Rashford, Hojlund.

Subs: Bayindir, Mount, Martial, Reguilon, Garnacho, Varane, Antony, Mainoo, Mejbri.

• The topic was unpinned