talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The 2023 countdown to Christmas thread

football forum

• Subscriber

I normally leave the Christmas bit down to the wife and I know she has most of the presents in early and puts them into the back room, she won't buy any of my ones early or if she does she will hide them as she knows I will open them up there and then lol.

Our daughter and sister in law doe's the same with mine and will not bring them around early as she knows I will open them up, our son does not give 2 shits if I open mine up early. 
I am not one for Christmas or Birthdays as it's just another day to me, all I have been doing is growing a Santa beard for our Daughter and wee Kaiden so they can decorate it with lights and whatnot, it's getting longer every day (beard). 

Spoiler

IMG_20231107_093221.jpg.9c0967c3b7e035af64d1662063e5c09f.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
26 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Anyone using Black Friday to try to grab some cheap presents?

Only really buy something if I need it. 

Otherwise have wasted money on something I didn't need just because it was cheaper. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Stan said:

Only really buy something if I need it. 

Otherwise have wasted money on something I didn't need just because it was cheaper. 

I use it for things I buy throughout the year like multivitamins and electrolyte gels/powders. It's important to have knowledge on prices, if you buy things regularly. Then you'll know during the sales if the discount is good or not. 

I do love Christmas, but I have to wait till after American Thanksgiving weekend is over to get started with the decorating and next weekend my boyfriend and I will get the Christmas Tree. I have always had a real Christmas Tree and if you purchase them too early they start to dry out by the time it is Christmas. 

As for Black Friday the deals are good, but it is really crazy here in America. Online shopping like Amazon also has many great Black Friday deals without the crazy crowds and crazy people so that is what I do.

• Thanks 1

I usually buy quite a good few gifts for people, but this year I am cutting back considerably. And it’s not necessarily a cost of living based decision (though that doesn’t help) rather than just not being comfortable with the excess anymore. The older I get, the more I appreciate just spending time with loved ones over any of the gifts I get. 

• Upvote 2

I quite like Christmas but it'll be the first one in about 8 years where I'll not be looking forward to it at all this year sadly. Dreading it infact.

So instead, I've volunteered to work the Christmas day lunch at a kitchen near me to serve people who are either homeless or can't afford a hot meal on the day and I'll pop in and see family in the evening.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I quite like Christmas but it'll be the first one in about 8 years where I'll not be looking forward to it at all this year sadly. Dreading it infact.

So instead, I've volunteered to work the Christmas day lunch at a kitchen near me to serve people who are either homeless or can't afford a hot meal on the day and I'll pop in and see family in the evening.

Sorry to hear that Lucas, but fair play for giving your time to such a cause.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Admirable. Hope all is okay. I know the feeling of dread around this time of year so hope you're okay too. 

I'm sure you will find it very rewarding to do that activity, too. 

5 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Sorry to hear that Lucas, but fair play for giving your time to such a cause.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Admirable. Hope all is okay. I know the feeling of dread around this time of year so hope you're okay too. 

I'm sure you will find it very rewarding to do that activity, too. 

Cheers lads.

Unfortunately my fiance and I broke up after an 8 year relationship unexpectedly, my father was diagnosed with cancer, I had a car crash and my the company I worked for over 17 years with made me redundant due to financial reasons all over a two week period. Unbelievable really.

I needed some major help that saved me from doing a stupid thing, had some great support since which I'm forever in debt to, but Christmas really isn't for me this year.

That said, I'm happy to turn a negative to a positive and help others. There's always people worse off than yourself and when you strip it all back, I'm thankful for what I do have.

• Sad 6

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Cheers lads.

Unfortunately my fiance and I broke up after an 8 year relationship unexpectedly, my father was diagnosed with cancer, I had a car crash and my the company I worked for over 17 years with made me redundant due to financial reasons all over a two week period. Unbelievable really.

I needed some major help that saved me from doing a stupid thing, had some great support since which I'm forever in debt to, but Christmas really isn't for me this year.

That said, I'm happy to turn a negative to a positive and help others. There's always people worse off than yourself and when you strip it all back, I'm thankful for what I do have.

Holy shit mate. Talk about bad news coming in 3's and then some.

Really sorry to hear about all of that. The people that support you at that time of need make you realise there are people that care and will always be there for you so I'm glad to hear you benefited from that. It's bad enough for any one of those to really knock someone back, let alone all of that coming within the space of a fortnight. If you ever need to chat my PMs are always open. 

All of that makes it even more noble of you to help others out at Christmas.