talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

GTA VI

football forum

Did read about this earlier today. 

Normally I'd be loving an announcement for a new GTA because, with the exception of GTA4 (personal opinion), all have them have been fun to play and been pretty memorable (and I include the top down ones as well, especially as GTA2 remains my personal favourite).

However, I'm a little concerned this time round as with how ridiculously successful GTA Online is and how much it rakes in, I don't know if they'll scale back the single player considerably and focus more on the online part.

That and I still haven't forgotten the shitfest that was the definitive collection, while I know it was done by a different developer, the whole fiasco around it was disgraceful really.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Pyfish said:

First trailer releases 2pm (UK time) on Tuesday!

Indeed it does.

https://www.eurogamer.net/grand-theft-auto-6-trailer-coming-tuesday-rockstar-announces

Back to Vice City from what's been mentioned. I'm lookkng forward to seeing what it brings, bit still have my reservations as mentioned before.

2 hours ago, Goku de la Boca said:

I do wish GTA would expand beyond the USA at some point, but I understand people can't be arsed about a place such as Sao Paulo, Caracas, Johannesburg, etc. My hope was Chicago but I do suppose it's not as appealing as the big 3 of the USA (Miami, LA, New York).

They have done it once before with GTA London back when the series was first starting, though that was considered more of an expansion than anything. I quite liked it in fairness, even if it basically was GTA1 in London.

I think the reasoning is as you said in a way in that they can parody the American culture easily in GTA to have satirical takes of it each time.

3 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

They have done it once before with GTA London back when the series was first starting, though that was considered more of an expansion than anything. I quite liked it in fairness, even if it basically was GTA1 in London.

I think the reasoning is as you said in a way in that they can parody the American culture easily in GTA to have satirical takes of it each time.

I am well aware they'll never leave the USA, but I do wish with all the money going into the game they'd include several maps and not just recycling a city done once before. You just know they'll recycle the same 3 cities because they are what sells.

I'm not sure how big GTA is in Brazil but I know this much: Brazil has 200 million people. If they could include a second map in São Paulo, and a third map somewhere else (perhaps Mexico as they also have a sellable population) it could be huge with the main focus staying in the USA otherwise.

Another option is several USA cities. If Chicago isn't appealing to be a stand alone map, you could have it as a secondary map in the game after the main city. There are plenty of American cities that have a horrible reputation for crime and are in the top 50 for homicides. Places like Baltimore, New Orleans, St Louis, upon others.

I just think focusing on one map again, and in a city that's been done before is going to make the series stale eventually. Rockstar are smart to release it every decade but that alone won't save it. This time it will obviously be a big exception.

1 hour ago, Goku de la Boca said:

I am well aware they'll never leave the USA, but I do wish with all the money going into the game they'd include several maps and not just recycling a city done once before. You just know they'll recycle the same 3 cities because they are what sells.

I'm not sure how big GTA is in Brazil but I know this much: Brazil has 200 million people. If they could include a second map in São Paulo, and a third map somewhere else (perhaps Mexico as they also have a sellable population) it could be huge with the main focus staying in the USA otherwise.

Another option is several USA cities. If Chicago isn't appealing to be a stand alone map, you could have it as a secondary map in the game after the main city. There are plenty of American cities that have a horrible reputation for crime and are in the top 50 for homicides. Places like Baltimore, New Orleans, St Louis, upon others.

I just think focusing on one map again, and in a city that's been done before is going to make the series stale eventually. Rockstar are smart to release it every decade but that alone won't save it. This time it will obviously be a big exception.

In fairness, they do change the maps a fair bit and, due to the time between the more recent ones at least, they won't have been done for ages (in this case, I think Vice City hasn't been used for a good 15-20 years since the original PS2 game and Vice City Stories), so they'll likely change it to such a degree that it's practically new.

I agree with the other two parts in that you could try other cities at least. For then South America link, considering how the series tends to go with gangs, mafias, cartels etc, you could easily have what you said as a side place and link missions to there.

For the final part, it goes back to my first point in that if there's enough changes or differences, you can have the same setting but still feel fresh. An example of this is in the Yakuza/Like a Dragon series, where every game (with some side places in later versions) take place mainly in 'Kamourocho' (which itself is based on the real life Kabukicho area in Tokyo), which is a much smaller map. However, it changes enough to feel fresh despite the layout being the same.

• Subscriber

I feel like if GTA did take a detour from the USA it should really go straight to Japan. I'd love some power driving across some of those places with an Asian backdrop and gang wars. Be funny to also see the protagonist get hunted by the Yakuza, etc. Drop some K-pop, J-funk and J-rock on the radio while we're at it.

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I feel like if GTA did take a detour from the USA it should really go straight to Japan. I'd love some power driving across some of those places with an Asian backdrop and gang wars. Be funny to also see the protagonist get hunted by the Yakuza, etc. Drop some K-pop, J-funk and J-rock on the radio while we're at it.

Or Hongkong. Oh wait, we already have that in Sleeping Dogs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, nudge said:

Or Hongkong. Oh wait, we already have that in Sleeping Dogs.

No pun intended but that was a sleeper hit for me.

Bought it very cheap (about £5) and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. A bit rough round the edges, but very enjoyable to play, especially its odd as shit DLC. xD

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

No pun intended but that was a sleeper hit for me.

Bought it very cheap (about £5) and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. A bit rough round the edges, but very enjoyable to play, especially its odd as shit DLC. xD

I really really like it, but I stopped playing after my save got corrupted and I had to start from scratch... That was annoying af, especially since I found some of the missions really hard and didn't want to do them all over again. I will give it another go at some point though. 

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

I really really like it, but I stopped playing after my save got corrupted and I had to start from scratch... That was annoying af, especially since I found some of the missions really hard and didn't want to do them all over again. I will give it another go at some point though. 

Ah that's a pain. It should have happened on a shit or boring game, like Resident Evil 6.

• Haha 1

I for one am really glad that they released a trailer for a game that they won’t release for another two years. It really makes their lack of development over the last decade something to be excited by.

The game was at its peak when it was almost year by year, idea by idea, who knows what you get next.

The last two games have been difficult to really get into and they made the game so vast that it lost the character of previous versions like San Andreas and Vice City.