talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England National Team Discussion

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

He looks assured but we are pretty stacked on the left side with Danny Rose, Ryan Bertrand, Luke Shaw, Ashley Young and Ryan Sessegnon. You could discount the last two due to age position preference but he's still have to work very hard to get ahead of the every three over the next couple of seasons.

Tom Davies is going under the radar when people talk about future English players. He's only 20 and entering his third full season of football. If he can start regularly for Everton under the brand that Marco Silva encourages I don't think he will remain unnoticed. 

Maybe but he looks good and I'd probably have him over the rest at this point. Up there with Shaw anyway.

Not seen a lot of Davies over the last couple of years tbh, but it's good he's been getting gametime.

Mason Mount is 19 and playing in the Championship, not the best quality to be playing in considering he's meant to be the golden boy.

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

He looks assured but we are pretty stacked on the left side with Danny Rose, Ryan Bertrand, Luke Shaw, Ashley Young and Ryan Sessegnon. You could discount the last two due to age position preference but he's still have to work very hard to get ahead of the every three over the next couple of seasons.

Tom Davies is going under the radar when people talk about future English players. He's only 20 and entering his third full season of football. If he can start regularly for Everton under the brand that Marco Silva encourages I don't think he will remain unnoticed. 

Tom Davies is at risk of becoming one of those players who never really finds his role in the system. Decent passing, good on the ball, reasonably fast, puts himself about and scores the odd goal but doesn't excel as a defensive midfielder or a number ten. His best hope is developing his mental side of the game to become a box to box midfielder. 

Hopefully Silva can coach him down a profitable route but when it comes to style (Not necessarily ability) he's more of another Henderson type midfielder than the Modric type that England are missing.

What I'm really happy about and something that's always been a drag for me eternally with the England national team is that I'm not hearing any dissent (credible dissent) on Gareth Southgate.  When we think of where England were and what was compared to now, there's a massive difference and it's a positive one too.

Im hoping it stays that way and that everyone (mainly the press) let him work and slowly bring through those young players.  He has what he has to work with and he can't turn footballers into magicians.

• 11 months later...

Internationals coming up soon, how do we think we’re looking?

I’ve liked the look of Max Aarons but we’ve got enough right backs currently. Mason Mount surely to get some game time? Probably too soon for Jack Grealish to be called up. Expect to see Rashford and Lingard on the bench

Could be some new additions

Kane

Sterling - Mount/Maddison - Sancho

Henderson/Winks - Barkley/Foden

Chillwell/Rose - Maguire - Stones - Walker

Pickford

Edited by Danny

6 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Bloody hell, that’s come round quickly. I’d have done Bulgaria but I’m not about next weekend. 

Can’t wait for people to lose it when AWB gets called up. 

At full fitness he’s probably number 3 on the list at the moment but it’s good to have such good depth in the team now. Walker-Peters at Spurs looking good too, crazy to to think what some of our options have been in the last ten years since the golden generation split apart

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Danny said:

Internationals coming up soon, how do we think we’re looking?

I’ve liked the look of Max Aarons but we’ve got enough right backs currently. Mason Mount surely to get some game time? Probably too soon for Jack Grealish to be called up. Expect to see Rashford and Lingard on the bench

Could be some new additions

Kane

Sterling - Mount/Maddison - Sancho

Henderson/Winks - Barkley/Foden

Chillwell/Rose - Maguire - Stones - Walker

Pickford

I'd start Alexander-Arnold personally. 

I can see it being 4-3-3

Sterling - Kane - Sancho

Barkley - Henderson - Foden

Rose - Maguire - Stones - TAA

Pickford

I'm unsure about Chilwell being included simply because he missed last week's game against Chelsea with injury and is out for the game against Sheff Utd tomorrow. 

I'd guess that Mount and/or Maddison will play some part in both games. Whether they get a full game in each I don't know. 

Lingard shouldn't be anywhere near the first team if we're basing anything on form. 

54 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'd start Alexander-Arnold personally. 

I can see it being 4-3-3

Sterling - Kane - Sancho

Barkley - Henderson - Foden

Rose - Maguire - Stones - TAA

Pickford

I'm unsure about Chilwell being included simply because he missed last week's game against Chelsea with injury and is out for the game against Sheff Utd tomorrow. 

I'd guess that Mount and/or Maddison will play some part in both games. Whether they get a full game in each I don't know. 

Lingard shouldn't be anywhere near the first team if we're basing anything on form. 

Realistically there’s no room for Lingard currently but you never know 

I’m surprised youd go TAA over Walker, think Walker is our best right back by a distance

Rose has been playing for Spurs so I assume he’ll start

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Danny said:

Realistically there’s no room for Lingard currently but you never know 

I’m surprised youd go TAA over Walker, think Walker is our best right back by a distance

Rose has been playing for Spurs so I assume he’ll start

Just personal preference really. Not to say I wouldn't be happy with Walker :) 

I like AWB’s defensive abilities but there’s more to a full back than defending and TAA is phenomenal going forward for such a young player, the defensive displays can be worked on.

Youve only got to look at someone like Marcelo who was a massive liability at first at Real Madrid and was moulded into one of the finest wing backs in the world defensively and offensively 

15 hours ago, Danny said:

I like AWB’s defensive abilities but there’s more to a full back than defending and TAA is phenomenal going forward for such a young player, the defensive displays can be worked on.

Youve only got to look at someone like Marcelo who was a massive liability at first at Real Madrid and was moulded into one of the finest wing backs in the world defensively and offensively 

The first time you've ever said something decent. I completely agree.

18 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

To each their own. One thing is for sure. Starting TAA is a big defensive liability and AWB is the opposite of that. Maybe TAA will surprise me but he has a long way to go before he is consider a good defender.

And AWB has a long way to go to be considered a complete full back. Yet another game where he offers nothing going forward. United will lack goals being created from that right side. 

England need to stick with Walker for the time being and see who develops better in the long run, TAA or AWB. 

6 minutes ago, Storts said:

Wasn't this about Solanke @Cicero ? - If so proven spot on.

Time will tell on Tammy but a couple of goals against Norwich aren't really an indicator either way

Yeah. 

On Tammy, didn’t know he had that ability in his locker tbh. (2nd goal against Norwich). Always looked a tap in merchant. 

1 hour ago, Storts said:

Wasn't this about Solanke @Cicero ? - If so proven spot on.

Time will tell on Tammy but a couple of goals against Norwich aren't really an indicator either way

Well, I more brought it for a chuckle if anything but Cicero was feeling a bit sour so it landed flat. Indication or otherwise, even if Abraham fails at Chelsea he at least looks like he’d be a fantastic forward for a Championship side; which is still better than Solanke.

On 23/08/2019 at 16:15, Happy Blue said:

Walker is in the form of his life at the minute, probably because he has real competition for a starting place at City this seson

Should of got sent of the other day though ;)

• Subscriber

Wan-Bissaka and Tyrone Mings called up. Mason Mount in too along with a recall for Trippier.

England squad:

Goalkeepers: Tom Heaton, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Chilwell, Joe Gomez, Michael Keane, Harry Maguire, Tyrone Mings, Danny Rose, Kieran Trippier, Aaron Wan-Bissaka

Midfielders: Ross Barkley, Jordan Henderson, James Maddison, Mason Mount, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Declan Rice, Harry Winks

Forwards: Harry Kane, Jesse Lingard, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling, Callum Wilson

Edited by Pyfish