talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England 0-0 Slovenia - Tuesday 25th June, 2024

The fume when a historically shit national team continues to be shit baffles me. 

I usually watch an England game when there is a tournament on and wonder why I'm wasting my life watching that shit and again, I've done it. Played like that, football is shit. It's bad enough to watch on tele as it is but that is woeful. 

• Subscriber

Genuinely forgot that match was on the tele for about 20 minutes and didn't miss anything.

I'm not arsed about England really. It's something to join in with if it looks like they'll reach the final but that's it. I don't say any of this from an emotional perspective. I just find it really incredible how far backward Southgate has managed to take this squad. There's as much depth and breadth of quality as any other nation in my opinion. They look like they've never played together or been coached in any way.

Someone praised Southgate for changing the culture that has held England back for years which was a fair comment. On the evidence of this tournament though, it looks a lot like England reverting to type and that work being undone. If he does leave the job after this tournament, I really don't know that you'll even be able to say that he's left the national team in a better state than he found it (and it was in a really bad state). Unless there's a huge improvement, this tournament performance, the culmination of almost a decade of Southgate's management, is on track to be as poor as anything served up under Capello, Hodgson or any of the other failures.

Could go on for much longer about the negatives of individual players but I'll leave that to others. None of them have shown more than a flash of quality and none of them should really be deemed undroppable at this point. The whole team is boring, uninspiring and ineffective. I think a lot of England fans would secretly be relieved if this campaign was put out of its misery in the next round.

Just now, Smiley Culture said:

The fume when a historically shit national team continues to be shit baffles me. 

I usually watch an England game when there is a tournament on and wonder why I'm wasting my life watching that shit and again, I've done it. Played like that, football is shit. It's bad enough to watch on tele as it is but that is woeful. 

To think there were people that were thinking this was England's cup to lose.   As per the players don't know how to play as a team,  they usually play for clubs loaded with world class players and top managers.   Without that and Gareth Southgate you have a recipe for mediocrity. 

5 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

To think there were people that were thinking this was England's cup to lose.   As per the players don't know how to play as a team,  they usually play for clubs loaded with world class players and top managers.   Without that and Gareth Southgate you have a recipe for mediocrity. 

Without their foreign players next to them like at club level. Put them together for country and you see that English players are technically pretty shit.

Well that was dreadful viewing. The big positive is, we've avoided being on the France side of the draw, by out performing the French..

Obviously lots of negatives. Bellingham & Foden looked miles off it. Right footed left back is just inverting absolutely everything.

I'd be tempted to go 5-3-2. TAA back in as wing back. Mainoo & Rice 2 of the 3. Foden & Bellingham rotating who the 3rd is & who is playing off Kane. It really can't lead to much worse.

While the other option is keep 4-3-3, but with a LB-CB, with Stones stepping up to DM, around Rice, with Mainoo & Bellingham? Or Foden & Bellingham, and Gordon or Palmer in Foden's wing spot?

It has to be changed up in some way. We can't just assume it will work out better when a side comes at us more.

Edited by Reluctant Striker

This feels like when we drew to Slovakia in 2016. We have a favourable route to the final but an organised team will fancy there chances against us and we will struggle to break them down.

It's very Roy Hodgson Palace at the minute. You want to take positives from the solid defending but you know if you play a team in form you're probably not going to win because you haven't got the attacking nous to break them down.

Even if we do advance to a semis or a final I think Gareth should take the Terry Venerbles route and resign. He should always be remembered for changing the culture of the players and the optimism of the nation, but he's on borrowed time with the media and it's not going to change. Let a Poch come in and build a squad for four years that can win this tournament on our home turf.

21 minutes ago, Michael said:

England will leave Koln and travel 1 hours drive north to play their Round of 16 match in Gelsenkirchen. We will need more urgency in our game and an improvement. 

Bringing their shitty football from one shitty city to the next shitty city. 

• Subscriber

I am firmly of the belief at this point that we would be no worse if we went full Ivory Coast, got rid of him tomorrow and let things play out without his influence. This draw has fallen as well as it possibly could've done (again!!!!). We cannot waste this on this bloke. He's done. Mentally clocked out of it.

10 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Congrats on winning the group. England NT is set up to convince a football addict they should do  withdrawal, though.

10 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Bringing their shitty football from one shitty city to the next shitty city. 

To be fair, our performances are way behind the best performers at these Euros. I'd say the best performers so far have been Spain, who beat Croatia and Italy easily and then beat Albania with their Spanish B team, where their reserves dominated the Albanians. Germany are probably the next best performers and then probably Portugal. England haven't come near those teams in terms of our performances in these group games. However, we have the potential to improve, but it's down to the manager to get the best out of this team.

Edited by Michael

5 draws out of 6 games. Total of 7 goals for the whole group. No game had more than 2 goals. No team scored more than 1 goal in a game. No team scored more than 2 goals in the group.

This might be the worst group in the history of major tournament football.

2 minutes ago, 6666 said:

5 draws out of 6 games. Total of 7 goals for the whole group. No game had more than 2 goals. No team scored more than 1 goal in a game. No team scored more than 2 goals in the group.

Alternatively the most balanced one in terms of the team's quality.

At least Slovenia got the better of their former Yugoslav rivals Serbia. Slovenia are very likely to qualify for the Round of 16. Whereas Serbia finished last in the group and are out. Serbia are probably one of the most underachieving national teams in Europe. They have always had some big name players in their team, but they either don't qualify for major competitions(Euros & World Cup), or they qualify and flop. Croatia have put them to shame over the years and now tiny Slovenia have done better than them. 

53 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Roy Hodgson would be proud of how well drilled and organised everyone has been.

1 minute ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

A question out of curiosity: "A German paper are reporting Southgate had said England created plenty of chances after in an interview after the match. Did he indeed?

Yeah, he said it was an improved performance. He said he was happy that we created a couple of chances in the 2nd half and that we kept our defensive solidity.😉😂