talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(R16) England (aet)2-1 Slovakia - Sunday 30th June, 2024

football forums

Fourth chance for Southgate to get the country on side. All it will takes is one convincing victory.

I imagine Slovakia will not play to dissimilar to how they set up against Belgium, which worries me a little as I wonder whether we'd be more suited to play against sides that like to keep possession. Nethertheless we should have enough 'star power' to get through, I'm going for a pragmatic 1-0 which wont get the nation fired up.

6 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Fourth chance for Southgate to get the country on side. All it will takes is one convincing victory.

He needs a convincing win doesn't he. The country would then go into fever pitch due to the draw we've luckily fell in.

At this moment people seem reluctant to accept we've got an absolutely brilliant chance to make it to the final.

1 hour ago, 6666 said:

Just move Bellingham back to partner Rice and play Foden at 10. Bring Palmer, Eze, or Gordon into the team.

There are a number of things he could do to improve it. Bellingham next to Rice is one of the best ideas and most obvious to everyone.

I think the Foden situation could give him the perfect excuse to leave Foden out now. If that's the case I think he goes Palmer on the right and Saka on the left. He loves Saka, I don't see him dropping him.

There are only two sane options for Southgate to make.

Either play Bellingham next to rice, put Foden in the 10, and start Gordon on the left. Or you drop Foden, play Mainoo next to Rice and Gordon on the left. 

It’ll be the shitiest 1-0 win and boo’s afterwards. 

1 hour ago, Rick said:

There are only two sane options for Southgate to make.

Either play Bellingham next to rice, put Foden in the 10, and start Gordon on the left. Or you drop Foden, play Mainoo next to Rice and Gordon on the left. 

It’ll be the shitiest 1-0 win and boo’s afterwards. 

Funnily enough I think going 4-3-3 so we play similar out of possession to Spain might be the way forwards. Three average sides have just put there wide center backs out very wide in possession to confuse us on who to press on. We wouldn't have that issue in a 4-3-3.

That would probably mean dropping Bellingham given he's the only one that doesn't play in a 4-3-3 for his club. Which, judging by his body language against Slovenia, may not be a bad thing.

Southgate says he is worried about making changes that disrupt the team.   Someone needs to tell him there is no cohesion to disrupt and it was Mainoo, Palmer and Gordon that looked most likely to bring cohesion.

This will be the last time Southgare will ever get to manage stars.  He is incompetent and a coward.  There was nothing stopping him bringing Maguire, henderson, Phillip's and Graelish if he felt they are "missed".   To say that in a competition is probably not going to help cohesion either.

I don't know what Slovakia's record is in penalty shootouts. I can think of one they had which they won against Republic of Ireland.

Interestingly the more you loose penalty shootouts the more you are likely to loose as your psychology changes. So Slovakia may have an advantage in that way. 

3 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Southgate says he is worried about making changes that disrupt the team. 

If he said that I'm suddenly nervous. The issue is there is no cohesion. Three players all dropping deep to get the ball whilst the fluidity of our play has been the level of a Championship team.

I'm watching the game with people I haven't watched England with since the Iceland debacle, which doesn't help my nerves. I have every faith in us defensively but there's been so many out of the area goals this tournament I'm concerned if something happens Southgate doesn't have an answer.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

If he said that I'm suddenly nervous. The issue is there is no cohesion. Three players all dropping deep to get the ball whilst the fluidity of our play has been the level of a Championship team.

I'm watching the game with people I haven't watched England with since the Iceland debacle, which doesn't help my nerves. I have every faith in us defensively but there's been so many out of the area goals this tournament I'm concerned if something happens Southgate doesn't have an answer.

It was an article on skysports news,  the man has absolutely no awareness

One can only hope it will be one them times where we get further than our performances have suggested we deserve.. Southgate's reluctance to change things up is a bit worrying though, a lot of players have been playing poorly but sticking with the tried and tested method hoping not to unsettle an already unsettled side could be our undoing.. We have had a decent defensive record so far but should we concede against a decent side we might struggle to get back in the game..