talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - Aug to Dec 2017/18 season archive

3 minutes ago, Batard said:

I used to do exactly the same thing. I was trying to kick the ball. I used to get wiped out by goalkeepers too. Were they trying to endanger me? Of course not. Likewise I wasn't them. We've lost the notion of accidents in the moment. Because that is what it was 

Intent doesn't matter. Mane did endanger him.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, Inverted said:

Sorry, you're right. Klopp should have gotten onto his knees and begged the City fans for forgiveness. 

Every fan of every club, of every level of interest in Liverpool, was seriously concerned about Klopp's level of remorse for the challenge.

Bored of you now mate. I made one comment about Klopp because he was doing his cocky sneer and Mane was smirking going off the pitch too as if it's outrageous he was punished after he literally kicked someone in the face.

Hurry up and accuse me of applauding Funes Mori when he came off the pitch at Anfield beating his chest after getting red carded for a horror challenge on a Liverpool player so we can move this debate to its conclusion.

13 minutes ago, Inverted said:

It's not like Mane's swinging his leg into his face, it's just up there and the natural momentum of the collision brings them together. Players bring their legs into high positions all the time, especially when a goal could come of it. 

Every single challenge in football can injure a player. Every 50/50 is a potential leg-breaker. You can't say "there was a risk" and say that's serious foul play. Everything in football carries a risk.

That's exactly what Mane did, he jumped into the air and swung his foot into Edersons face. Literally very physically did that.

2 minutes ago, El_Loco said:

This one is over. How many games will Mané be suspended for?  

Three. Klopp may have to bring Coutinho back a little sooner than he'd have liked.

I think one of the games he'll miss will be the league cup game against Leicester, which is a slight consolation.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

That's exactly what Mane did, he jumped into the air and swung his face into Edersons face. Literally very physically did that.

His leg is already fully extended in anticipation of bringing the ball down. The momentum of the impact is entirely because Mane is flying in one direction and Ederson in the opposite. 

In any case we're talking past each other. You say he put Ederson at risk and yes it's the rules that endangering an opponent is a red.

I say that almost every challenge carries a danger of injury and so that shows that the rule is clearly not interpreted literally/absolutely. 

• Subscriber

Ederson with potential cheek and jaw fractures, in the stink about Mane and the decision you forget to credit the goalkeepers bravery, I don't see Joe Hart sticking his head in there to protect his goal, put it that way.

Having 11 v 10 makes this a write off unfortunately. Teamsheets soon for our game...

I'm really annoyed at our lack of any pressing now. Were giving city free reign to just walk about with the ball. We'll concede whether we play like this or if we go at them a bit, so give them something to fucking think about at least.

Not saying he meant to put his foot into the keeper's head but he did know Ederson was running out. Him looking directly at the ball doesn't mean he somehow no longer had the same peripheral vision as a normal person.

3 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Three. Klopp may have to bring Coutinho back a little sooner than he'd have liked.

Good point, Coutinho will probably return in the next match. Liverpool really fell off when Mané went to CAN last season, right? He´s your most important player and not having him for 3 matches is a big loss for Liverpool. 

Just now, El_Loco said:

Good point, Coutinho will probably return in the next match. Liverpool really fell off when Mané went to CAN last season, right? He´s your most important player and not having him for 3 matches is a big loss for Liverpool. 

Actually, I was wrong. Because it was serious foul play, rather than violent conduct, he'll only be suspended for one game, which will be vs Burnley next week.

Archived