talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - Aug to Dec 2017/18 season archive

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We lost 2-0 against Arsenal in Martinez' last season when everyone knew it was the end for him here and that shite was even worse. 

Back four were a disgrace. Williams is an atrocious player. Martina just as bad. The front players haven't got a clue what they're doing and Schneiderlin looks lost in the midfield. 

I'd be surprised if Spurs had an easier away game all season. 

Well, today was evidence of how far Everton seem to be away from the top six. From what people were saying Tottenham were doing the fancy tricks before halftime?!? I've seen the clip of Rooneys tackle on Alli and Jesus Christ he's lucky Alli didn't make the most of it or his week would have been even shitter. I say this every year, but I wish I had the funds to put Harry Kane in my fantasy team from September 1st.

Seen the clip of Kantes goal too. Not exactly Schmeichels proudest moment. An expected result in the grand scheme of things that shouldn't hurt Leicester long term.

I chose to watch the Arsenal game. Amazing what happens when you play players in their most comfortable positions but as an Arsenal fan I would be slightly embarrassed that these players didn't want to play with the same intensity against Liverpool. As for Bournemouth they seem to be suffering the same problem as we have been in the sense they want to progress to the next level by playing a style that isn't suited and it could cost them up to ten points this season.

I don't really know what happened to West Brom but I'm guessing pundits can now drop this ridiculous assertion that Brighton are relegated already. They've had difficult games and were very unlucky not to score against Watford before the international break.

Speaking of Watford, I've said all along I expect a strong start and then for them to fade. What I didn't expect was Southampton to play the way they did. A lack of goals, a defense that doesn't look as composed as last season. I think next week may actually be a good time to to play them.

As for the late kick off, I thought the stat of not winning at Britannia for god knows how long was going to be broken with the physicality of Pogba and Lukaku. To be fair to Stoke they executed a very good game plan. Typical Mourinho going from 'getting his mojo back' to not shaking hands after one bad result. Sulky bitch.

• Administrator

To be honest expected defeat today and we never really looked like winning during the match. 

Chelsea are simply just too good for us. Better players, better team and especially better defensively and tactically. Attackers barely got a sniff and other than our goal I don't think we had a shot  on target.

Might  as well have given Kante an open goal as no one closed him down and Schmeichel should be keeping it out. 

Tough game vs Huddersfield next week. 

I went to today's game because I had an easy Saturday on my hands. Easy victory although the crowd were very on the edge with an eerie atmosphere. At least that's what it felt like at the ground.

Let's see if we can now build on this because the first win didn't give the team any confidence at all because it was lucky and all over the place. This was a different story. 

Watched the Brighton game - looked a very good side and pulled West Brom apart at times. 

I've seen Everton a few times already this season with the Europa League and whatever and I thought they've looked poor throughout. Tough opening fixtures though but the manner of performances seem poor.

Watford doing well too. I rate Marco Silva.

53 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I mean usually I'd be gutted, absolutely fuming getting done 5-0 but strangely I'm not worried at all. On reflection I'm still confident we'll be ok. 

I'd say the biggest problem was the reaction to going a man down. With 11 men Liverpool actually looked fine.

They were being a bit wasteful, and they got done by a moment of brilliance from De Bruyne and Aguero, but if they were going to lose the match it was at least looking to be a close contest. 

But not reacting well to a sending off is only an issue if you get a player sent off, so it isn't a make-or-break issue over a whole season.

Hopefully, at least. 

2 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I'd say the biggest problem was the reaction to going a man down. With 11 men Liverpool actually looked fine.

They were being a bit wasteful, and they got done by a moment of brilliance from De Bruyne and Aguero, but if they were going to lose the match it was at least looking to be a close contest. 

But not reacting well to a sending off is only an issue if you get a player sent off, so it isn't a make-or-break issue over a whole season.

Hopefully, at least. 

Not wanting to repeat myself but Klopp was so poor today after going a man down. Not only his game manegment but I also noticed that after the 3rd goal went in he retreated to the bench as if he'd given up and was willing to accept whatever was coming. He's usually bouncing around the touch line as we all know but today he gave up, didn't try to change tactics and I think that transmitted to the players on the pitch. 

As i said though, before the sending off we were terrific. We were ripping through City with ease and that gives me enough confidence to believe that we'll finish in the top four. I also think that we'll give someone a proper tonking when everything clicks. 

2 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

I mean usually I'd be gutted, absolutely fuming getting done 5-0 but strangely I'm not worried at all. On reflection I'm still confident we'll be ok. 

I'm just pissed off that the red card ruined the game. Like red cards always do no matter which way they go. 

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

I'm just pissed off that the red card ruined the game. Like red cards always do no matter which way they go. 

I'd be more pissed that your players threw in the towel after that. You didn't see City do that after Walker got sent off

@Cicero

Bakayoko was quietly one of my favourite Chelsea players before he even kicked a ball for us. A lot of pundits and fans have had a hard on over Matic signing for Man United but as any decent Chelsea would tell you Matic had been below par for us since December, often one of the scapegoats for the team and despite some concerns that we were selling to a big rival and that Matic could reach his top level again not many if very few Chelsea fans batted an eye lid when he actually left which tells you a lot about Chelsea fans' opinions of him.

I intially thought after the game Bakayoko did OK but wasn't that impressive but now looking back and seeing some of the stats I can see he did well. He said himself he needs a month still to get up to speed so hopefully there's more to come as well as I think he can improve. If he avoids injuries I have no doubt in my mind Bakayoko will be a massive upgrade on Matic (who was one of the most frustrating players to watch in a Chelsea shirt at times) and I'm glad in comparison to some others that Baka has quietly gone under the radar as well.

1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

@Cicero

Bakayoko was quietly one of my favourite Chelsea players before he even kicked a ball for us. A lot of pundits and fans have had a hard on over Matic signing for Man United but as any decent Chelsea would tell you Matic had been below par for us since December, often one of the scapegoats for the team and despite some concerns that we were selling to a big rival and that Matic could reach his top level again not many if very few Chelsea fans batted an eye lid when he actually left which tells you a lot about Chelsea fans' opinions of him.

I intially thought after the game Bakayoko did OK but wasn't that impressive but now looking back and seeing some of the stats I can see he did well. He said himself he needs a month still to get up to speed so hopefully there's more to come as well as I think he can improve. If he avoids injuries I have no doubt in my mind Bakayoko will be a massive upgrade on Matic (who was one of the most frustrating players to watch in a Chelsea shirt at times) and I'm glad in comparison to some others that Baka has quietly gone under the radar as well.

He was the main reason Kante had such a good game. Both complement each other. 

I don't get why Jose would be so evasive after not shaking Hughes' hand.

It was the heat of the moment and you were pissed off about some issue from during the game. You reacted in the heat of the moment and you regretted it after it happened.Thats an acceptable retort.

Unless its more of the thing of taking the talking point away from the team performance and making it about him.

• Subscriber

Can't complain about the red as it had to be given and im glad their goalkeeper is okay because it was horrible. What I do have an issue with is how quickly the whole team collapsed and didn't fight. I know its hard when its ten men against a City team that was already a goal up but giving in like they did to me is unacceptable. Over the years you've seen teams with far less attack pace from Liverpool still give it a go but yesterday wasn't the same. I said that we should have played City before the international break and now I kinda wish we had because the momentum got lost a bit although I am sure it will come back soon enough. 

Agree with MadLad that someone is going to get a proper hiding from us this season eventually and I hope there does come a day when Aguero can't find the net against us haha. 

The other game I caught some of was the Stoke vs United one and Jese was unlucky not to find the back of the net but what a save from DeGea and then another brilliant save from Butland. 

• The title was changed to Matchday Chat - 28-30th October 2017
  • The topic was unpinned
  • The topic was locked

Archived