talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - Aug to Dec 2017/18 season archive

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, shut up said:

It's a reckless challenge. End of really. Players should never have their studs that high.

And yet they do all the time.

Difference is that normally when a player goes to pluck the ball out the air in that position, the keeper hasn't done an amazing job of flying out of his box.

6 minutes ago, Inverted said:

You can break legs and not even get a yellow. Intent is everything. 

I think Mané was not sent off because of intent but because the referee judged it reckless. In the end, it comes down to interpretation. Contrary to what many suggested on Twitter, in my opinion VAR wouldn´t of much use in this case. It´s an unfortunate play for all involved and I´ve seen convincing and reasonable arguments being made for either yellow or red card.

Well I am going to have to see it again but did he actually get him in the face?? My replay does not show it clearly enough. It was high but I think his foot drops off just at the end and he clatters him which is why he stayed down. Not convinced at this moment in time without seeing it again that he got caught in the face at all.. 

They say he had his eye on the ball but he clearly knew the keeper was on his way hence trying to raise his foot and tip it over the keeper before he got there otherwise he would have chested it down and tried to control it first. 

The other point is that if going for the ball so far out of the area is deemed an offence because his studs were high then you may as well make all bicycle kicks a sending off offence as well for dangerous play. They keep there eyes on the ball too while feet are flying not only above head head but most times above it?? 

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

How did Salah get 19 goals last year? Looks like the same attacking player with poor end product. 

When you let Jesus score a header against you, you know your defence is shite

Shotgun principle. He's so quick and his movement's so good that he gets a shitload of chances which sometimes makes up for how wasteful he is.

1 minute ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Carragher says it is a red, anyone want to change their mind now :ph34r:

Carragher's a blue mate :ph34r:

• Subscriber

Okay fine as the picture posted further up the page proves, Mane wasn't in any way endangering an opponent by raising his boot to head height in karate kick fashion. 

I'm sorry for being an obsessed Evertonian with a well known reputation on this forum of posting biased anti-Liverpool vitriol in every thread because I can't see past my fixation with Klopp and Liverpool.

Fuck sake, I come to this forum because it's one of the few places on the internet that you can get away from the zombie hive mind of football on social media churning out whatever opinions they're fed by Sky and actually read balanced and unbiased opinions but I'm not budging here lads, a player just kicked another player in the face, not on the floor or even midriff-level, at head height. Raising your foot to head height in the vicinity of another player like that just isn't safe. On no planet was it intentional and I can genuinely see where people are coming from in saying it was unlucky and might have been a yellow, but I cannot agree. Karate kick to the face = red card.

• Administrator

Carra is very gracious in his assessment in the SKY studio, but it's not a red for me. Maybe I'm a footballing dinosaur but it's a 50/50 challenge, blood and thunder. I played as a forward and regularly got wiped out by goalkeepers outside the area in 50/50 challenges so I don't subscribe to the notion that because he accidentally injured the player it's a red card.

Mane wasn't endangering another player, he's been harshly judged here because the keeper came flying out of his area. I'm neutral here, I don't have biases either way.

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I'm just saying you can't sit there acting as if he's impartially stating facts when half his post is dedicated to extraneous shite that nobody but an Everton or maybe a United fan would care about. 

Edit: mixed up who was who there, whoops. 

There's plenty of Liverpool fans on this forum who've been posting with me on TFF and this forum for about 5 years and I'd be shocked if any of them claimed I had even a slight reputation for being unduly biased against Liverpool. You might be confusing my comments with those of shut up who only seems to post these days to demonize Liverpool due to his odd obsession with Arsenal still being better than them.

It's you who has a problem writing off comments you don't agree with just because it's an Everton fan talking about a Liverpool player.

1 minute ago, Batard said:

Carra is very gracious in his assessment in the SKY studio, but it's not a red for me. Maybe I'm a footballing dinosaur but it's a 50/50 challenge, blood and thunder. I played as a forward and regularly got wiped out by goalkeepers outside the area in 50/50 challenges so I don't subscribe to the notion that because he accidentally injured the player it's a red card.

Mane wasn't endangering another player, he's been harshly judged here because the keeper came flying out of his area. I'm neutral here, I don't have biases either way.

So when the keeper went up for a header, and Mane leaped into the air, raised his boot into his face, he wasn't endangering the player? Come on 😂

It's not like Mane's swinging his leg into his face, it's just up there and the natural momentum of the collision brings them together. Players bring their legs into high positions all the time, especially when a goal could come of it. 

Every single challenge in football can injure a player. Every 50/50 is a potential leg-breaker. You can't say "there was a risk" and say that's serious foul play. Everything in football carries a risk.

1 minute ago, Batard said:

To be fair to Mané, no forward in the world wouldn´t try to control that ball when there was a clear chance to score the goal. On the other hand, if a goalkeeper leaves the area he must be decisive.

By the way, one thing that really has me impressed about Ederson is his pace and confidence , I hope he is fine. 

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

There's plenty of Liverpool fans on this forum who've been posting with me on TFF and this forum for about 5 years and I'd be shocked if any of them claimed I had even a slight reputation for being unduly biased against Liverpool. You might be confusing my comments with those of shut up who only seems to post these days to demonize Liverpool due to his odd obsession with Arsenal still being better than them.

It's you who has a problem writing off comments you don't agree with just because it's an Everton fan talking about a Liverpool player.

Sorry, you're right. Klopp should have gotten onto his knees and begged the City fans for forgiveness. 

Every fan of every club, of every level of interest in Liverpool, was seriously concerned about Klopp's level of remorse for the challenge.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Danny said:

So when the keeper went up for a header, and Mane leaped into the air, raised his boot into his face, he wasn't endangering the player? Come on 😂

I used to do exactly the same thing. I was trying to kick the ball. I used to get wiped out by goalkeepers too. Were they trying to endanger me? Of course not. Likewise I wasn't them. We've lost the notion of accidents in the moment. Because that is what it was 

• Administrator

Does anyone truly believe Mane intended to kick Ederson in the jaw? Because if he had, then yes, send him off. But I don't believe that. However we've labored this discussion now sufficiently

• The title was changed to Matchday Chat - 28-30th October 2017
  • The topic was unpinned
  • The topic was locked

Archived