talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What TV Series Are You Watching?

football forum

• Subscriber

10 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

@nudge

I have finished the whole season of 'The Terror' now, Watched the last episode in the quiet early hours of the morning but had to be up for work early and with my eyelids feeling like they had a couple of crows perched on them I thought I would leave my thoughts until tonight. I have also taken the opportunity to read through the article you provided so cheers for that... B|

What a great series!! loved the whole thing from start to finish, I think they managed to capture the adventure and atmosphere of the period really well, They also handled the despair and downward spiral of the expedition with as much care as they probably could have done given what they knew of the actual events that took place. Such a barren and cold landscape to navigate in a ship let alone on foot.. The Bear/Creature was a good touch overall and didn't make the whole thing seem unbelievable and did add a lot to events as they unfolded. The acting was brilliant, Not at anytime did I hear anything that seemed out of place for the period and you could really feel the despair that they were all in about their situation and how they went about trying to keep it all together despite the odds being firmly stacked against them. 

As the episodes and time progressed it showed you how quickly sides can be taken when the fear and uncertainty starts setting in and certain individuals start thinking of the few rather than the many and how quickly that became their undoing as a whole group and lessened their chances of survival overall. That Hickey turned out to be a right nasty piece of work and was wholly instrumental in the division of the camp preparing to sacrifice all before him for his own selfish gain.. 

As this was based on actual events we witnessed 2 sides of the technology coin here... The ships being state of art for their time but the canning/food that accounted for so many lives being sub standard.. Even if they had been successful in their endeavors a lot of them would not have made it anyway and those that did would have been near or not far from death as a result of that alone.. I am sure had they made it that their deaths may have been linked to some sort of cursed expedition or something along those lines.. It was doomed before it even started just on that simple thing alone.. 

I personally found it strange that despite knowing the historical outcome of their situation that they did a fantastic job of having you keep rooting for at least some of them to survive the whole thing in the end ( daft as though it may sound ) which is a great credit to the believability of each of the actors involved throughout... 

I have always enjoyed shows that take you back through time which is probably why I tend to like things like 'Ripper Street' and the more recent 'The Alienist'  and even though 'The Alienist' subject matter is a bit odd it does grab the time period very well... 

From that article it seems as though there may be something more in the future.. not sure how they might work that in or where they would draw their material from but as a standalone series of 10 it was just right.. 

Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did, it's sad that it hasn't gotten more attention as it really is brilliant... Couldn't possibly add anything to your great Sir-Balonesque review, hehe... :D I really liked the Inuit angle of the story, it kind of gives a different view of the events and the monster; just like they said in that article, it surely was the scary antagonist for the British sailors stranded in the Arctic, but for the Inuits, it was a part of their mythology (based on their god of death?), sort of protecting them from the invading interlopers... Also, I was extremely fascinated by the historical accuracy of the show, from the actual names of the crew members to the technical details of the expedition, the show's gritty realism is amazing.

As for potential season two, it seems like they are interested in running the series as an anthology, but they'd be covering a completely new story (also based on historical events) in a similar manner, but it surely will not be a continuation of this one! So each season = a standalone story. That could definitely work, and I think there are so many stories to tell...

• Upvote 1

Now here's a sad thing.  I have nearly finished watching the end of series 1 of Young Sheldon and can't wait for the next set. Looking forward to the big wedding on Thursday here in the UK!  Bound to be better than next Saturday!

Edit:  Great that CBS have finally confirmed booking Series 2 (talking since January) and my copies of Ep 21 and 22 have arrived - thought it only went to 20!

Edited by SchalkeUK

I started watching Kevin Can Wait. It's not as good as the King of Queens obviously but it's still hilarious since Kevin James is starring. It gets even better when he reunites his ex TV wife Leah remini in season 2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 5/18/2018 at 02:20, Dalmore said:

I started watching Kevin Can Wait. It's not as good as the King of Queens obviously but it's still hilarious since Kevin James is starring. It gets even better when he reunites his ex TV wife Leah remini in season 2.

Oh man, King of Queens was great watching. Ill have to check this out.

On 6/1/2018 at 00:49, Viva la FCB said:

Oh man, King of Queens was great watching. Ill have to check this out.

it's nowhere near the KoQ I have to tell you that.  it's just the nostalgia for Doug's lines that made me start watching Kevin can Wait plus the fact that his brother Gary Valentine (who was Doug's cousin) and Leah Remini (Doug's wife) are also a part of this new sitcom.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 6/28/2018 at 00:36, nudge said:

Just watched the pilot of Yellowstone, a new modern western series starring Kevin Costner. Pleasantly surprised, it reminds me a bit of The Son and Bonanza, @Bluewolf @Viva la FCB you should enjoy it too, I think!  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4236770/

Just watched the pilot now, I'm glad you tossed it my way. I really enjoyed the pilot theres alot going on I'll definitely keep going. It does remind me alot of The Son just a little more mix of modern day in it.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Just watched the pilot now, I'm glad you tossed it my way. I really enjoyed the pilot theres alot going on I'll definitely keep going. It does remind me alot of The Son just a little more mix of modern day in it.

It gets even better in the next episode as the events unfold! Glad you liked it :) 

On 6/28/2018 at 08:36, nudge said:

Just watched the pilot of Yellowstone, a new modern western series starring Kevin Costner. Pleasantly surprised, it reminds me a bit of The Son and Bonanza, @Bluewolf @Viva la FCB you should enjoy it too, I think!  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4236770/

Just watched the first one.... Excellent!! Cheers for the heads up.. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Just watched the first one.... Excellent!! Cheers for the heads up.. 

Glad you liked it :) I thought the pilot was a bit slow, but it picked up the pace quite nicely in the next episode!

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Glad you liked it :) I thought the pilot was a bit slow, but it picked up the pace quite nicely in the next episode!

I thought it was just about right... gets all the main characters in, explores them a bit without going into too much detail and the ending has set the tone now for whats to follow.. A crashing start and a sombre ending.. Such beautiful scenery! 

You cant help but think we all have a little cowboy in us somewhere... I don't get to ride a horse across such vast plains but I do get to ride a bike.. plenty of alone time if I want and able to travel great distances, It's the closest I will get so I will take it.. :D

• Like 1

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I thought it was just about right... gets all the main characters in, explores them a bit without going into too much detail and the ending has set the tone now for whats to follow.. A crashing start and a sombre ending.. Such beautiful scenery! 

You cant help but think we all have a little cowboy in us somewhere... I don't get to ride a horse across such vast plains but I do get to ride a bike.. plenty of alone time if I want and able to travel great distances, It's the closest I will get so I will take it.. :D

It's just that we are nomads and explorers by nature... Can't put it any better than Carl Sagan in 'The Pale Blue Dot':

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Eco said:

I don't watch a ton of shows, but I am currently watching Narcos (as stated before) and started watching 'Suits', which is surprisingly very entertaining. 

Suits is a really nice easy watch. Good show. 

On 6/28/2018 at 08:36, nudge said:

This is getting really interesting... I am loving Kelly Reilly's character Beth...

The Female of the Species is more deadly than the Male seems to apply here by the bucket load... 

0001_02-beth-v2.w710.h473.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

This is getting really interesting... I am loving Kelly Reilly's character Beth...

The Female of the Species is more deadly than the Male seems to apply here by the bucket load... 

0001_02-beth-v2.w710.h473.jpg

She's a proper mental case, haha! 

And yes, the show is definitely getting better and better, I love it.

• The topic was pinned