talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What TV Series Are You Watching?

football forum

I was told at my Christmas party that I was living under a rock because I had never watched Curb Your Enthusiasm. And they were right. Some episodes have been brilliant.

I've binged five seasons now. I do think the earlier series were better as Larry David has gone from being a really unlucky guy where everything's blown out of proportion to being a major idiot himself but I've been told it gets better.

40 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I was told at my Christmas party that I was living under a rock because I had never watched Curb Your Enthusiasm. And they were right. Some episodes have been brilliant.

I've binged five seasons now. I do think the earlier series were better as Larry David has gone from being a really unlucky guy where everything's blown out of proportion to being a major idiot himself but I've been told it gets better.

Curb is great, really underrated compared to rubbish like Friends and The Office US

Edited by Danny

• Subscriber

Just on the last episode of 'Fool Me Once' on Netflix. Heard mixed reviews before I watched it for myself from people saying it's just the same recycled British actors you see in other dramas and a few actors used in other Harlan Coben adaptions but I don't mind that.

I've really enjoyed it and can't wait to watch this last episode and see how it wraps up. Michelle Keegan's in it too so that's a plus!

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished "All the Light we cannot see" and it was very good. But I feel like 4 episodes were not enough. Now I have not read the novel, but I know of it's magnitude and how big it was, and it felt like the series probably just scratched the surface. However I must say the atmosphere and the acting were top-notch! Especially Louis Hofmann who played Werner, and Maria Maria Loberto, who played Marie! Apparently it was the only thing we ever acted in so far, so that's even more impressive. 

Well, unfortunately Reacher is another example of the fact that a good series ends with 1 season, and waiting for the second, only raises hopes, I watched it by force (where is that Reacher from season 1, where the brawls, actions...). I was also completely disappointed with Echo, I often return to classics like CreepShow

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, MaldiniKing said:

Well, unfortunately Reacher is another example of the fact that a good series ends with 1 season, and waiting for the second, only raises hopes, I watched it by force (where is that Reacher from season 1, where the brawls, actions...)

I am a Lee Child/Jack Reacher fanatic and have read all his books and have everyone of them, so what you said that a good series ends with 1 season I will partly agree with you with the fact that the first 2 Reacher film's the character Reacher was played by Tom Cruise.

As we know and it was mentioned by many critics that Tom Cruise was 5ft 6inc and a skinny little runt where the character Reacher was around 6ft 6inc and a 50 inch barrel chest and hands like spades, so they got it right in the new series with Alan Ritchson as Reacher and I quite enjoyed the 3 series by Ritchson as Reacher.

Ritchson is around 6ft 4inch and has the looks of Reacher when you read the books.

But as per normal the book is better than the film as is all films taken off a book, the first John Wick film with Keanu Reeves was brilliant but I watched the second one and never bothered with 3 of 4 as it was all the same, to much kung-fu fighting all the way through, Rambo, First Blood was another good example, First Blood was good but the others shite

I fully agree with you, I have not yet encountered a situation that a film adaptation would be better than any book. In addition to the aforementioned series, I would also add as someone who likes such climates Beast of Bangalore, as a fan of Godzilla (since a little kid ;) I am grateful that the Japanese made their own film this year, however, completely failed to excite me Monarch: Legacy of Monsters and I was hoping for something interesting. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, MaldiniKing said:

I fully agree with you, I have not yet encountered a situation that a film adaptation would be better than any book

I don't think any of the Reacher books would make a brilliant film and even now when reading any of them I still get a completely different image of Reacher than Ritchson but at least he is better than Cruise, someone like Liam Neeson or Tommy Lee Jones would make a good Reacher. :)

20240120_192532.thumb.jpg.2876407a40bb57dc548d77d6842859b6.jpg

Just finished The Godfather Of Harlem which is based on mobster Bumpy Johnson. A black mob boss who took on the Italian mobsters back in the 1960s. This series has it all including civil right struggles as it's also tells the story of Malcolm X, somebody who Bumpy was friends with and used to protect.

Highly recommended - 9.2/10.

On 13/06/2021 at 21:10, MUFC said:

Have a question for you all. What are your top 5 all time series? I know it's hard to narrow it down, and it comes down to personal choice. Mine are as follows,

1.Banshee

2.The Walking Dead

3.NArcos (Colombia)

4.The Punisher

5.Bates Motel

Missing out, The Shield, Hannibal, Money Heist, True Detective, Ozark, 7 Seconds and Power.

Since this question was asked in 2021, has your list changed? Mine has as the list shows. I've Taken Narcos Colombia out and and Narcos Mexico is in. I felt as Mexico progressed it was over a better series to watch. Out is Bates Motel and in comes Ozark which just got better and better.

1.Banshee

2.The Walking Dead

3.The Punisher

4.Narcos Mexico

5.Ozark

Missing out - The Shield, Money Heist, Bates Motel, 7 Seconds, Power and The Godfather Of Harlem.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
On 14/06/2021 at 03:57, nudge said:

Lost
Dark
For All Mankind
M*A*S*H
Warrior

Honorable mentions: Westworld, Person of Interest, The Mandalorian

This was my reply in 2021.

Update 2024:

Lost
Dark
For All Mankind
Andor
Reservation Dogs

Honorable mentions: The Expanse, Westworld, Timeless

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

World War 2: The Call of Duty "A timeline on WW2" 

It is a very thorough docuseries, well narrated, a blend of black and white footage and rare colour footage.   I am up to Chapter 10 which ended at 7 December 1941.   One of the best in depth coverages.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Top 5 is tough. I dont remember If I answered back then or not but Ill try one for now anyways

1. The Wire

2. The Soprano's

3. The Bear

4. Penny Dreadful

5. Dark

HM: Rome, Black Sails, Hannibal, Peaky Blinders, Mr Robot.

Hard to not mention limited series like Chernobyl and Band of Brothers too. 

• Subscriber
On 01/02/2024 at 02:09, nudge said:

This was my reply in 2021.

Update 2024:

Lost
Dark
For All Mankind
Andor
Reservation Dogs

Honorable mentions: The Expanse, Westworld, Timeless

You remind me I still need to watch For All Mankind and Silo at some point too. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Has anyone started watching the new Shogun yet? It's supposedly phenomenal!

I watched the first episode of The Regime today, pretty intriguing so far. Kate Winslet is amazing, as usual. 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, nudge said:

Has anyone started watching the new Shogun yet? It's supposedly phenomenal!

I watched the first episode of The Regime today, pretty intriguing so far. Kate Winslet is amazing, as usual. 

Ive only watched the first episode but it was an excellent start! very much Last Samurai vibes. Also they filmed a bunch here locally to me :) 

• Like 1