• Christian Eriksen
    • Sadio Mane
    • Roberto Firmino
    • Other

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dan said:

I'm not sold on what Dermot Gallagher's saying here.

To summarise, he's saying that now if there's a touch on a through ball, then it's irrelevant if the striker (Kane in this case) is offside.

Since when has that been the case? That's a bullshit rule, and completely contradicts the rule of influencing play. Surely the defender touching the through ball can be because of the player in the offside position anyway, meaning he is therefore influencing play, and is therefore offside.

That's our 4th goal at Peterborough last week. Nearly everyone's calling that as offside, and I agree it is, but going by what Gallagher says there, it actually isn't?

Yup, Gallagher is acting like it's a mechanistic, cut-and-dry decision when actually the rule has a word like "deliberately" as a key part of it. To most fans, the way the rule has worked there is not how they would imagine offside works. That suggests that the interpretation of "deliberate" should lie a bit more toward things like back passes rather than fluffed interceptions, even though a fluffed interception is in a certain sense "deliberate". A general rule of intepretation is normally that you go with what the common understanding of the term is, if there is one. Would most people say Lovren deliberately played the ball?

Fair enough, if you want to make any kind of rule you can't avoid a need to interpret it. It's very hard to avoid uncertainty. But the thing about referees is that people aren't aware in advance of how they are going to interpret things. If there's a criminal statute with an ambiguous term in it, then that term will be interpreted openly in court and the courts will publish decisions which clearly explain exactly what the term means, and its pretty much clear and settled.

With football we have all these terms flying around in the rules, refs apply a number of different intepretations, mostly without warning or explanation, and the result is that people aren't sure what the words on the page really mean.

It's like handball - we still aren't sure what "deliberate" handball is. Does it mean you intend to commit handball? You mean to move your hand although not necessarily to touch the ball? You had your hand in an unnatural position?

Maybe its just me overthinking it but I can't help but think how much the FA could use a lawyer to come in and re-draft so many of the rules.

As for London clubs. Got time for most of them, family ties to chelsea but loath what they have become. Like spurs a lot, arsenal have the gimpiest, wettest fanbase by a mile but cant say hold too much against them. West ham ive never got the hate for and ive enjoyed trips to fulham, brentford and orient in the past.

• Subscriber

In all seriousness...

West Ham I find a bit of a joke club nowadays. Used to like going to their old ground but their current one is dreadful. Owners are absolute idiots.

Chelsea I wouldn't say I particularly like, but they'll always be the team who scored the goal that won us the league.

Arsenal I'm not keen on, find their owners to be out of touch with the fans and I hate their horrible knack of always beating us.

Tottenham I think there's a lot to admire, but I'm put off by their fans (I like Storts) and the media. Their fans were embarrassing a couple of years ago, and the media love them.

Crystal Palace I never used to mind although their fans always seem to gob off about us for some reason.

QPR I never minded until they had links to the likes of Briatore, Ecclestone and Fernandes, from then on I found them a very hard club to like.

Millwall, now this is a funny one, I wouldn't say I like them, but I've got a degree of respect for them in the sense they're still a 'proper' club. Definitely think they attract a lot of scumbags but I quite admire their us against the world mentality. Leeds are the same.

Don't have anything against Fulham, Brentford, Orient or Barnet. I find AFC Wimbledon to be hypocrites, and then there's Charlton, who again, I find a harmless club, but yet another we've got a laughable record at.

First penalty was never one, the reason the defender had to touch it was because Kane was interfering with play. Secondly Kane dived but that's every professional footballer in those circumstances nowadays, if there's an element of diving that needs to be retrospectively dealt with its the dives when contact is made, this is a contact sport. At best the keepers finger tips touched Kane, if that's enough to stop him then Kane needs to hit the gym.

No idea over the commotion though because he didn't score from that penalty, he scored from the one where Van Dijk kicked Lamela in the back which was a clear as day penalty.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Danny said:

Yeah there's a right Southern fairy on here who supports em 

I don't think we've played Brentford in my lifetime. We always dodge them for some reason.

55 minutes ago, Inverted said:

It appears Lamela was potentially offside in the build up to the final penalty.

Seriously, there's no argument against VAR. Today it would have brought a more accurate result without any added delay. 

Yup. Just laugh it off when people say we don't need it.

17 minutes ago, Dan said:

I don't think we've played Brentford in my lifetime. We always dodge them for some reason.

You wanna hope you play us before we move stadiums. Griffin Park is class and especially for away fans. Away end is a bit run down but there's a terrace so who cares, pretty sure there's now 4 open pubs on each corner after one reopened. Plus all the boozers nearby.

The new stadium won't be the same but hopefully we can keep the culture of the pubs going.

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Danny said:

You wanna hope you play us before we move stadiums. Griffin Park is class and especially for away fans. Away end is a bit run down but there's a terrace so who cares, pretty sure there's now 4 open pubs on each corner after one reopened. Plus all the boozers nearby.

The new stadium won't be the same but hopefully we can keep the culture of the pubs going.

I do know a Brentford fan and for some reason he comes to some of our games. I got him a ticket for Peterborough away last week and he never bothered but strangely he came to Atletico with us xD so basically, yeah, I'll be at Griffin Park some time for sure. You're always one of the ties I want in the cup.

2 hours ago, FOYM said:

He did fuck all. I'm all for congratulating good fishing but he failed in his attempts. 

You've failed at both I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, Asura said:

So, will Kane receive a retrospective ban now?

Salah's second goal was outstanding, totally Messi like

I hope he and other plays do but they won't, unfortunately contact is seen as enough to blow the whistle for even if said contact will impede or foul a player at all.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Danny said:

I hope he and other plays do but they won't, unfortunately contact is seen as enough to blow the whistle for even if said contact will impede or foul a player at all.

They're also British media darlings so FA won't touch them. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived