talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cooking

football forum

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Subscribed to Hello Fresh and I’m impressed so far! It’s very good for Amateurs like myself who enjoy cooking. 

Has anyone ever used it?

Is it those meal kits? Never used it myself. How does it work?

I use a similar service from some local restaurants sometimes where they deliver you the ingredients for the meal of your choice along with the instructions. Usually do it when I want something like pho or proper ramen, as it is cheaper and more convenient than trying to find all the stuff in regular supermarkets...

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, nudge said:

Is it those meal kits? Never used it myself. How does it work?

I use a similar service from some local restaurants sometimes where they deliver you the ingredients for the meal of your choice along with the instructions. Usually do it when I want something like pho or proper ramen, as it is cheaper and more convenient than trying to find all the stuff in regular supermarkets...

Yes it’s like that. You choose your meal plans and what you want. So much to choose from  and then they deliver all the ingredients. Probably works out at like £5 per meal but you’re feeding 2 for that. I won’t have it every week but I’ll definitely keep using it every few weeks. More as a way to improve my knowledge of what makes certain dishes tick and improve my cooking skills. 

I had a simple chilli earlier.EEFE833D-6D5D-44DA-9470-656946649F0F.thumb.jpeg.35be1a4133b38de138c46a0f43b20ce3.jpeg

And here are a few of the cards each meal comes with.

GghVjQ3.jpg

QrtdnLJ.jpg

7pvRr0B.jpg

CGaxtiq.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, JoshBRFC said:

Yes it’s like that. You choose your meal plans and what you want. So much to choose from  and then they deliver all the ingredients. Probably works out at like £5 per meal but you’re feeding 2 for that. I won’t have it every week but I’ll definitely keep using it every few weeks. More as a way to improve my knowledge of what makes certain dishes tick and improve my cooking skills. 

I had a simple chilli earlier.EEFE833D-6D5D-44DA-9470-656946649F0F.thumb.jpeg.35be1a4133b38de138c46a0f43b20ce3.jpeg

GghVjQ3.jpg

QrtdnLJ.jpg

7pvRr0B.jpg

CGaxtiq.jpg

That's a great idea, the chilli looks good too! :D

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber

A bowl of the wife's homemade vegetable soup (carrots, lentil, potatoes etc), a sprinkle of black pepper on top and slices of bread & butter for the dunking, and once it settles in the tum a bottle of red wine will go down well watching a Richard Gere film, Red Corner,

thumbnail_20201228_134538.thumb.jpg.5bbd244a042a8b44cf03ff2545b6efda.jpg

Edited by CaaC (John)

On 23/12/2020 at 11:40, JoshBRFC said:

Subscribed to Hello Fresh and I’m impressed so far! It’s very good for Amateurs like myself who enjoy cooking. 

Has anyone ever used it?

My wife and I have used it for a few months because we got bored of making the same shite over and over. We don't get meals every week, but some weeks they've got some seriously good stuff so we get 3 meals every once in a while.

At some point though we're probably going to stop soon because at a certain point it just seems like the same thing - cooking the same shite over and over. One thing I do like is they've got the various levels of difficulty in the meals, so the service works well for lots of various skill levels in cooking...

...but pretty much every time we've thought "eh should we cancel the subscription" we see future weeks where we find 3 meals that look new, interesting, and tasty.

I recommended it to someone who wanted to learn cooking though but hadn't ever really cooked his own meals, he was a microwave or mum-cooked meal kinda guy xD, he fucking hated it. Thought it was way too much work. So it's not for everyone.

• Subscriber

Something completely different... 

Initially wanted to cook pasta alla puttanesca tonight, but forgot that I ran out of pasta a few days ago 🙈 so had to improvise and made a similar style dip/stew and baked some corn tortilla "chips" to go with it. 

It was surprisingly good and I'm sure I'll make it again xD

IMG_20210112_220504_1-01.thumb.jpeg.b4818e5ffd0b02846b12ab8453aa69d1.jpeg

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, nudge said:

Something completely different... 

Initially wanted to cook pasta alla puttanesca tonight, but forgot that I ran out of pasta a few days ago 🙈 so had to improvise and made a similar style dip/stew and baked some corn tortilla "chips" to go with it. 

It was surprisingly good and I'm sure I'll make it again xD

IMG_20210112_220504_1-01.thumb.jpeg.b4818e5ffd0b02846b12ab8453aa69d1.jpeg

Looks tasty! 

I recently made a perfect ragout alla bolognese. Cooked it for over 2 hours and all.  But instead of proper pasta, I used noodles made out of chickpeas, which completely ruined the whole thing. So I ended up just eating the ragout with some bread. I'll never use any substitute for pasta ever again. 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Looks tasty! 

I recently made a perfect ragout alla bolognese. Cooked it for over 2 hours and all.  But instead of proper pasta, I used noodles made out of chickpeas, which completely ruined the whole thing. So I ended up just eating the ragout with some bread. I'll never use any substitute for pasta ever again. 

I don't particularly like chickpeas, so that already sounds pretty bad even without tasting it xD 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
Just now, Tommy said:

You don't like Falafel? :o 

Not particularly, no. I mean, I would eat it if someone served it at a party or dinner or whatever, but I would never order it or cook it myself. Same with hummus. It's weird, as I normally like most legumes a lot, but just not chickpeas xD 

Mrs made a beef keema last night, it's not necessarily my favourite dish in terms of flavour, though it is good. But there is no other dish that seems to have a stronger magnetic pull to my stomach, plate after plate I will not stop :twothumbsup:

On 23/12/2020 at 20:17, JoshBRFC said:

GghVjQ3.jpg

QrtdnLJ.jpg

7pvRr0B.jpg

CGaxtiq.jpg

Personally I would recommend Gousto over Hello Fresh, didn't think Hello Fresh had as good a range of dishes available or as good ingredients.

Hopefully moving into a new flat soon so won't be able to afford Gousto/Hello Fresh, but we've got around 100+ recipes stored away so will be just buying the ingredients ourselves at a cheaper rate

Edited by Danny

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Danny said:

Mrs made a beef keema last night, it's not necessarily my favourite dish in terms of flavour, though it is good. But there is no other dish that seems to have a stronger magnetic pull to my stomach, plate after plate I will not stop :twothumbsup:

Lamb (or mutton) is better for keema :) 

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Danny said:

Personally I would recommend Gousto over Hello Fresh, didn't think Hello Fresh had as good a range of dishes available or as good ingredients.

Hopefully moving into a new flat soon so won't be able to afford Gousto/Hello Fresh, but we've got around 100+ recipes stored away so will be just buying the ingredients ourselves at a cheaper rate

I’ll give it a try!

Ive found once I’ve understood and for the recipe for certain dishes by using Hello Fresh I can then cook certain things myself and add my twist on it. 

1 hour ago, JoshBRFC said:

I’ll give it a try!

Ive found once I’ve understood and for the recipe for certain dishes by using Hello Fresh I can then cook certain things myself and add my twist on it. 

Yeah Gousto is similar in that the meals are very simple, I hate instructions especially when cooking but it was actually fairly easy. But yeah Gousto is the one for me