talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cooking

football forum

On 28/09/2020 at 14:51, nudge said:

Went for something different today... Yellow curry and roti. 

IMG_20200928_162138-01.thumb.jpeg.0e77b627a23d0c39b2e774be7eb4be76.jpeg

36 minutes ago, nudge said:

Cooked Tom Yam soup (with shrimp) today. 

IMG_20201025_153412-01.thumb.jpeg.fd13b7e72f6be29fe29ffe3d22411a41.jpeg

Nice..

Do you only have one bowl by the way??? Only if we are still grading food on here based on the quality of the plate/bowl it's served on/in then this is the equivalent of wearing the same outfit to work 2 days in a row... 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Nice..

Do you only have one bowl by the way??? Only if we are still grading food on here based on the quality of the plate/bowl it's served on/in then this is the equivalent of wearing the same outfit to work 2 days in a row... 

Two bowls, actually...but they look exactly the same xD 

• Haha 1

• Administrator

If anyone knows the game of Indian savoury snacks, we cooked 'gathia' today. Also known as 'tikki sev' in some areas too. 

Did huge amounts in preparation for Diwali (it's why I love this time of year!). This is just a fraction of what we made... 

IMG_20201025_110206.jpg

IMG_20201025_111006.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 19/02/2020 at 21:54, Tommy said:

Just googled what a Shepherd’s Pie is exactly, and damn, I'm going to cook that on the weekend, I think. Sounds delicious. 

Months late this advice but, if you make a cottage pie (beef) slowish cook for 3-5 hours and use plenty of wine.

Cooked up a Pumpkin soup tonight for tomorrow. Never really bought, tasted, nor worked with Pumpkin before. Glad for the new experience. Soup turned out okay, although I probably used too much broth to cover the ingredients which kind of made it lose it's pumpkin taste. Managed to save it with a few spices though. So it should be ok tomorrow. 

• Administrator
Just now, Tommy said:

Cooked up a Pumpkin soup tonight for tomorrow. Never really bought, tasted, nor worked with Pumpkin before. Glad for the new experience. Soup turned out okay, although I probably used too much broth to cover the ingredients which kind of made it lose it's pumpkin taste. Managed to save it with a few spices though. So it should be ok tomorrow. 

No one gives a shit about pumpkins mate. How was the tandoori chicken :D

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Stan said:

No one gives a shit about pumpkins mate. How was the tandoori chicken :D

It was good. Not as spicy as the marinate that I tasted when I marinated it? It kind of tasted weaker after being cooked. Still decent though, and I know what to do better next time. :)

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Take pictures plz

Too late. It was OK, the duck was tender and juicy, the apples inside were caramelised nicely, the oven roasted potatoes were great, but I didn't really like the sauce. Too sweet & sour for my liking, but then I also don't like wine or honey in the first place, so I don't know what I was even thinking when I decided to make it xD

Here's a pic from the last time I made it. Pardon the cutting, I realised I didn't have poultry scissors or even the carving fork, so had to butcher it with a knife. IMG_20200412_174916_1-01.thumb.jpeg.944291becf0eff1473a04e1b7a9d6a33.jpeg

• Upvote 4

On 01/11/2020 at 15:03, nudge said:

Too late. It was OK, the duck was tender and juicy, the apples inside were caramelised nicely, the oven roasted potatoes were great, but I didn't really like the sauce. Too sweet & sour for my liking, but then I also don't like wine or honey in the first place, so I don't know what I was even thinking when I decided to make it xD

Here's a pic from the last time I made it. Pardon the cutting, I realised I didn't have poultry scissors or even the carving fork, so had to butcher it with a knife. IMG_20200412_174916_1-01.thumb.jpeg.944291becf0eff1473a04e1b7a9d6a33.jpeg

8 minutes ago, nudge said:

Tried something new today... Buckwheat noodles with beef and mushrooms. Pretty good. 

IMG_20201103_171939-01.thumb.jpeg.9b6a291aff494daaf92e14e5dbcd0cb1.jpeg

Nice!!! I have never tried Duck

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I have never tried Duck

holy fuck you are missing out mate.

Cooked right it can be just a perfect food to eat. 

Coming up next later this week in our Diwali savoury snack selection is Chakri:

8ecf0831199536d9689168a6ba0a47b1.jpg

All made from scratch. We make hundreds. Should last for days. They don't :ph34r:

• Upvote 4

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Nice!!! I have never tried Duck

Like, never? :o I like duck a lot, it tastes more like red meat (steak!) than poultry, but it can be a bit too fatty sometimes - not the meat itself, but there's a rather thick layer of fat right under the skin, so it can be quite challenging to make sure it's crispy yet not overcooked... That said, duck fat is also amazing. I usually save it after roasting the duck and use it later for stuff like fried potatoes... tastes like heaven. 

If you have a good Chinese restaurant near you, I'd highly recommend trying Peking duck. It's too hard to pull off at home, but when it's done properly, it's nothing short of amazing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Stan said:

holy fuck you are missing out mate.

Cooked right it can be just a perfect food to eat. 

Coming up next later this week in our Diwali savoury snack selection is Chakri:

8ecf0831199536d9689168a6ba0a47b1.jpg

All made from scratch. We make hundreds. Should last for days. They don't :ph34r:

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Like, never? :o I like duck a lot, it tastes more like red meat (steak!) than poultry, but it can be a bit too fatty sometimes - not the meat itself, but there's a rather thick layer of fat right under the skin, so it can be quite challenging to make sure it's crispy yet not overcooked... That said, duck fat is also amazing. I usually save it after roasting the duck and use it later for stuff like fried potatoes... tastes like heaven. 

If you have a good Chinese restaurant near you, I'd highly recommend trying Peking duck. It's too hard to pull off at home, but when it's done properly, it's nothing short of amazing.

1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

Duck is boss. Some hoisin and pancakes and it’s even better.

Well with 3 recommendations I must be missing out... Have to give that a try then, @nudge we do have a decent Chinese restaurant round the corner from us that we order from on a regular basis so will have to look at the menu and give it a go.. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Well with 3 recommendations I must be missing out... Have to give that a try then, @nudge we do have a decent Chinese restaurant round the corner from us that we order from on a regular basis so will have to look at the menu and give it a go.. 

Just be aware that you might need to order it at least 24 hours in advance... Absolutely worth it though. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

7 minutes ago, nudge said:

We do this with any roast we do to help the potatoes cook really crisply, too. Nothing worse when it comes to roasts when the potatoes aren't done right. Crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside. Beautiful.

2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

6 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Duck is boss. Some hoisin and pancakes and it’s even better.

Duck and pancakes is essential for any Chinese we go for. Stuff myself with it before getting on to the other courses xD. Lots of hoisin sauce, bit of cucumber, lots of duck. Perfect. I love the way they cook their pancakes too.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator

Any of you guys ever cooked Lamb Kleftiko, or any kind of slow-cooked lamb dish?

Thinking of doing it for Christmas and want to practice at least a couple of times before then to try and perfect it (for 4 people).

Any recommendations on best part of lamb to use? Tips while cooking i.e. spices to use, time to cook, any nifty tricks would be appreciated :D. We do like our food quite spicy so will be adding Indian spices to it as standard... 

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

We do this with any roast we do to help the potatoes cook really crisply, too. Nothing worse when it comes to roasts when the potatoes aren't done right. Crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside. Beautiful.

Duck and pancakes is essential for any Chinese we go for. Stuff myself with it before getting on to the other courses xD. Lots of hoisin sauce, bit of cucumber, lots of duck. Perfect. I love the way they cook their pancakes too.  

I barely ever do roasts, to he honest, but when I do, it's usually duck. And yes, roast potatoes that are crispy on the outside and soft inside 😍 majestic.

I love Chinese pancakes with duck too. My problem is, I get full too fast, meaning that more than one course dinners are not really an option for me xD so it's either pancakes or something else that I can reheat the next day :( 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, nudge said:

I barely ever do roasts, to he honest, but when I do, it's usually duck. And yes, roast potatoes that are crispy on the outside and soft inside 😍 majestic.

I love Chinese pancakes with duck too. My problem is, I get full too fast, meaning that more than one course dinners are not really an option for me xD so it's either pancakes or something else that I can reheat the next day :( 

Oh yeah, there's always leftovers because we always over-order xD. Rather than that not have anything left!

There's always so much variety and choice with Chinese restaurants. Love having any of tea-smoked chicken, chicken satay in peanut butter sauce, barbeuce spare ribs, chicken in black bean sauce, sesame prawn toast in addition to the duck...