talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ideal Location of Residence

football forum

5 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Isnt that photoshoped? I don't think it actuall exists 

How could you even say that... Of course it's real.... there is a steel stairwell running down the back in case of emergencies.. 

Anyway... this would be my choice

Nice little property with plenty of room for expansion, lot's and lot's of land and no noisy neighbours.. 

See the source image

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
7 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Nice little property with plenty of room for expansion, lot's and lot's of land and no noisy neighbours.. 

Ha, that's what you think.

kang-kodos.gif

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Isnt that photoshoped? I don't think it actuall exists 

I was curious about that too? it looks like a helicopter landing pad there also but even that, how in hells name did they build it that high up 😂

Back on topic, me & the wife has said if we won the lottery we would love to buy a cottage in the Scottish countryside somewhere, that would be heaven on earth for us.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I was curious about that too? it looks like a helicopter landing pad there also but even that, how in hells name did they build it that high up 😂

"It's quite incredible how people actually managed to build this lighthouse, just at WW2 began. In 1939 there were no helicopters so people would have had to sail to the cliff and scale it. In an old article in Morgunblaðið, project director Árni G. Þórarinsson says in an interview, "The first thing we had to to was create a road up to the cliff. We got together of experienced mountaineers, all from the Westman Islands. Then we brought drills, hammers, chains and clamps to secure the chains. Once they got near the top there was no way to get any grip on the rock so one of them got down on his knees, the second stood on his back, and then the third climbed on top of the other two and was able to reach the nib of the cliff above. I cannot even tell you how I was feeling whilst witnessing this incredibly dangerous procedure." 

https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/nature_and_travel/2017/05/15/incredible_location_for_a_lighthouse_perched_on_a_r/

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, The Premier Steve's said:

All that effort and then you turn the light on for the first time and the penny drops that it's visible by land and not sea. What a sinking feeling that must have been :ph34r:

Let's be honest, "lighthouse" is just being used as a cover here. It's quite obviously a secret evil lair!

A decent mid size not so touristic or landmarkish city that has good basic services and safety, organiclly connected to major cities so you can commute for work for bigger opportunities without being too far away from home and feel the big city vibes ever now and then not regularly which makes it mundane. 

Also having a nice nature spot like forest, lake or hills around it is a plus. 

12 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I'd love to live somewhere where there aren't many men and so the women want to have sex  with me all the time. And where there are lots of dogs as well 

Sounds like the Red Light District in Amsterdam ticks all your boxes.

On 16/03/2017 at 12:57, Eco said:

If could move anywhere in the world, but had to stay there for 10 years, where would you go (if anywhere)? Why would you chose to go there? 

San Diego.

Because I've been here for nearly 10 years and it's basically like being on holiday 90% of the year, even though I've got a job. Just a very laid back place with pretty perfect weather more often than not. And it's a city with good food and good beer and I like both of those.

Easy. Istanbul. 

Visited there a couple years ago. The scenery, beauty, food, stores, things to do, etc is incredible. Best thing about it is the cost of living. 

Genuinely thinking of getting a residency there when I retire. You automatically qualify when you purchase property/piece of land. 

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Easy. Istanbul. 

Visited there a couple years ago. The scenery, beauty, food, stores, things to do, etc is incredible. Best thing about it is the cost of living. 

Genuinely thinking of getting a residency there when I retire. You automatically qualify when you purchase property/piece of land. 

Judging by what my Turkish friends have told me, it's much easier to visit Turkey and have a good time than it is to live there and have a good time. Might be different if you're living there after you've retired and working isn't really something you have to worry about tbf.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Judging by what my Turkish friends have told me, it's much easier to visit Turkey and have a good time than it is to live there and have a good time. Might be different if you're living there after you've retired and working isn't really something you have to worry about tbf.

Agreed. Have a Turkish mate who moved to the states who said the wages there are poor. Property taxes are high as well. 

9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Agreed. Have a Turkish mate who moved to the states who said the wages there are poor. Property taxes are high as well. 

And the recent inflation shit that's happened with their lira is absurd - I've got a friend working out here who sends money back home to his parents every once in a while and he was pretty stunned when he found that the USD basically was double the value if the Turkish lira compared to what it was pre-pandemic - but his parents were very annoyed that the price of everything went up pretty drastically.

If you did end up retiring there, I think it'd be a good idea to keep a foreign bank account somewhere where the currency's more stable. Unless Turkey ever ends up in the EU, in which case... it'd probably have it's own stable currency in the Euro

• 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Khan of TF365 said:

Which was the most densely populated but easily navigateable place you have visited or lived in? 

Probably London (which I've only visited, I've never lived there) - I wouldn't say it's as easy to get around as smaller cities, but it definitely beats getting around in other big cities I've been to like LA and Beijing (which I've also not lived in, but only visited).

Never really lived anywhere with what I'd call very high population density tbh, at least not compared to those places.

On 11/11/2021 at 17:53, Dr. Gonzo said:

Probably London (which I've only visited, I've never lived there) - I wouldn't say it's as easy to get around as smaller cities, but it definitely beats getting around in other big cities I've been to like LA and Beijing (which I've also not lived in, but only visited).

Never really lived anywhere with what I'd call very high population density tbh, at least not compared to those places.

Just spent a week working in Tottenham, North London and easy to get around wouldn't be a term I'd use.

It was taking me nearly and hour to drive five miles.

I'm going to throw Manchester into the mix, our roads aren't as busy as Londons and we also have a fantastic Metrolink (tram) service that pretty much reaches every part of the city now.

• Subscriber

London was the hardest for me, never get a taxi from A to B unless you know all the routes and places as taxi drivers, if you use them, can rip you off fare wise, they will take the longest route to wherever and if you don't know the areas you are fucked and the fares cost you a bomb.

Living in Australia, Melbourne was the easiest to get around as all the streets (well, they was when I was there) were in blocks and you had quite a lot of landmarks that would help you out when walking around.

I have always classed Edinburgh here in Scotland the same as Melbourne and you can never get lost really with the landmarks scattered around, Arthurs Seat, Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Palace, Scottish Parliament etc.

Seeing people are tying to a. drive or b. get a black cab in London...xD

London is great for the tube, south London not so much but the train links from London Bridge are good. Plus there are bus routes everywhere that run every 10 minutes minimum.

Melbourne's tram service is internationally renowned, I didn't use it a lot when I visited but when I did it was easy to use and they seem to be constant.

Sydney is a weird place. If you're just trying to get round the CBD then it's great. If you're trying to get round the eastern suburbs, northern beaches, western Sydney etc then it quickly falls off a cliff.

Kuala Lumpur was fairy easy to get around tbh, only done touristy things mind but the train linked the city centre areas up pretty well

Been to Manchester, Brum, Newcastle etc but never used the public transport there.

• Administrator

Yeah London's public transport network is phenomenal. Of course it can get busy (which big city doesn't?) but logistically it's insane. Especially when you think the first tube lines were created. On the road you could be looking at a half an hour journey in some places. Take the tube and it takes a fraction of that time. 

5 hours ago, Devil said:

Just spent a week working in Tottenham, North London and easy to get around wouldn't be a term I'd use.

It was taking me nearly and hour to drive five miles.

I'm going to throw Manchester into the mix, our roads aren't as busy as Londons and we also have a fantastic Metrolink (tram) service that pretty much reaches every part of the city now.

The thing about London compared to other big cities I’ve been to is: London has good public transit.

I didn’t drive a single second in London and I’m very glad about that. Tube and busses made it pretty easy to get anywhere.

Meanwhile if you go to somewhere like LA, there’s fuck all public transit really & the traffic makes London’s look like baby traffic. Or Beijing which was honestly an absolute fucking nightmare to get around because not only is their tube shit, but they don’t let foreigners drive… although not that I’d want to drive there xD

Tbf I think Manchester is a brilliant city, putting football rivalries aside. I think Liverpool is too - but I don’t think that’s quite the same population density as the truly massive cities like London & co. And honestly that makes them more livable imo and why people like us hate driving through cities like that

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The thing about London compared to other big cities I’ve been to is: London has good public transit.

I didn’t drive a single second in London and I’m very glad about that. Tube and busses made it pretty easy to get anywhere.

Meanwhile if you go to somewhere like LA, there’s fuck all public transit really & the traffic makes London’s look like baby traffic. Or Beijing which was honestly an absolute fucking nightmare to get around because not only is their tube shit, but they don’t let foreigners drive… although not that I’d want to drive there xD

Tbf I think Manchester is a brilliant city, putting football rivalries aside. I think Liverpool is too - but I don’t think that’s quite the same population density as the truly massive cities like London & co. And honestly that makes them more livable imo and why people like us hate driving through cities like that

I once thought it was a good idea to drive through Paris, I got lost and ended up driving around the Arc De Triomphe round about. 

That was an experience, it was a free for all and yet I did it with a car full hanging out of the window to get a photograph.

The tube in London is fantastic if you catch it at the right time, I've been to London many times and I can tell you at peak times its an absolute nightmare.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Devil said:

I once thought it was a good idea to drive through Paris, I got lost and ended up driving around the Arc De Triomphe round about. 

That was an experience, it was a free for all and yet I did it with a car full hanging out of the window to get a photograph.

The tube in London is fantastic if you catch it at the right time, I've been to London many times and I can tell you at peak times its an absolute nightmare.

True, peak time is manic. Still considerably quicker than if you were overground!

Archived