The better place to talk football.

Group A Matchday 1 - 14/15 June

football forum

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Just now, DeadLinesman said:

Looked more a slip to me, but couldn’t tell from the replays.

was deffo a slip, could see in real time as well it was!

I already knew this from the qualifiers, but Saudi Arabia are still terrible at playing out from the back.

If they were a bit more composed at playing from the back, they would be getting forward more.

• Administrator

Saudi Arabia constantly getting caught short when Russia break. Their shape is all over the place which is odd because it doesn't seem like they get forward in numbers.

If I were Pizzi, I would tell the team to go a more narrow formation. Whenever the Saudis get the ball in a lateral position, a bad touch makes them lose the ball and its happened on more than one occasion. That and to clear the ball. This playing out the back approach isn't working for them.

• Administrator

2-0 Russia! Deserved!

Cheryshev with great composure to double the lead. Thought they'd lost the chance with that weak final ball. Cheryshev did well though.

That was an awful goal to concede. Not so much the slide tackle that led to the goal, but rather when Smolov (?) was making his run, there was no work rate at all from the Saudi Arabian center back.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

If I were Pizzi, I would tell the team to go a more narrow formation. Whenever the Saudis get the ball in a lateral position, a bad touch makes them lose the ball and its happened on more than one occasion. That and to clear the ball. This playing out the back approach isn't working for them.

If you were Pizzi you'd quit and start a new save. 

I have to say, I'm not all sold on Russia. They are playing against an open gate of a backline, and it does make me curious as to how much it would affect them to take Golovin out of the team.

Just now, Machado said:

The pace difference is enormous between the two. The Saudis lack talent and speed. Everything about them is inferior really, no way around it.

I disagree completely other than them being inferior. They aren't better than the Russians as its being shown, but its not talent and speed thats letting them down. If anything the Saudi's are very quick, the issue is the lack of work rate and football brains. That defender fell asleep and they are not seeing that its not a good idea to play it out or really driving forward a lot.

The defenders have no talent. Offensively they look decent. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived