talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group F Matchday 1 - 17/18th June - Germany 0-1 Mexico, Sweden 1-0 South Korea

football forums

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Also poor player selection by Löw; we looked much more dangerous when Reus and later Brandt came on, way too late though. Apparently before the tournament started, Reus was told that he won't be starting the first few matches because Löw "expects the tournament to be very long" and they'll need Reus "in more important matches later". How fucking arrogant is that, just shows what's wrong with the attitude of the team and even more so the attitude of Löw and how he overestimates himself.

There's no doubt both Reus and Brandt should be playing but don't forget that when they came on Mexico were very tired and they were able to offer a fresh answer to a very complicated situation.  When these things happen with changes late in in games I'm always wary on how to read that.

All the same, I expect Germany to sort this out in the two remaining fixtures.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
30 minutes ago, The Käiser said:

I'm going to take heat I know but was that a foul when Mexico won the ball?

nah gets the ball first. German player needs to be stronger shielding the ball. Fair challenge. 

Loved the Mexico win. 

To that point almost every European team had triumphed over the American ones. Nice to see some momentu going the other way, and Germany looking beatable is a (rare) good thing for a World Cup.

2 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Expect Sweden to win this Asian football is at its lowest in recent years.

Agreed. Its just silly that Korea and Japan (not to mention the even weaker Asian teams) get in so comfortably every year when countries like Italy, Netherlands and Chile are missing out.

Just now, Harry said:

Agreed. Its just silly that Korea and Japan (not to mention the even weaker Asian teams) get in so comfortably every year when countries like Italy, Netherlands and Chile are missing out.

World Cup should revert back to 24 teams with four groups of six.

But i guess that will make the competation too long and also that its football's history of having competitions with a group of four teams each.

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Surely the CONCACAF is the biggest joke. Panama and Costa Rica are the two weakest sides at the World Cup? 

Just now, Toinho said:

Surely the CONCACAF is the biggest joke. Panama and Costa Rica are the two weakest sides at the World Cup? 

Agreed. But thing with Concacaf is that the top two three teams Mexico,USA Costa Rica on average are better than the top Asian sides.

But in Concacaf the quality suddenly drops after them where you have the likes of Jamaica,Honduras etc but in Asia the quality drops but not to that extent as teams like Syria,Jordan aren't that bad as mid table Asian teams.

Not knocking Asia specifically. Africa and CONCACAF are bad also. Ultimately only Europe and South America have teams that miss out on qualifying that could genuinely compete in the tournament....

I don’t think Costa Rica are that bad though. Don’t forget last World Cup they topped a group containing England, Italy and Uruguay to advance to the knock out rounds.

Panama I haven’t seen play, but like Asia CONCACAF is another federation that seems to have been designed with enough places to ensure the usual suspects (USA, Mexico) will qualify 100% of the time.

Costa Rica did do well last World Cup, but though they were poor against an average Serbia side this time round. 

Would argue Japan and Korea will be very, very competitive in this World Cup. 

Korea started by far the better of these two sides but need to be clinical if they're to get anything against Sweden. 

8 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Agreed. But thing with Concacaf is that the top two three teams Mexico,USA Costa Rica on average are better than the top Asian sides.

But in Concacaf the quality suddenly drops after them where you have the likes of Jamaica,Honduras etc but in Asia the quality drops but not to that extent as teams like Syria,Jordan aren't that bad as mid table Asian teams.

Australia and Japan are better than the USA

5 hours ago, 6666 said:

That's ridiculous. He could've done what the most of the German team did and not bother to get back. Only criticism of Ozil here is that he's not a right back.... Kimmich is the main one that failed on this goal along with the defence whose job it is to stop what happened. I wouldn't put any blame on Neuer either. It was a mix of Lozano doing well and Germany's defence being all over the place.

Nah I'm not having that. I see the likes of Iceland, Mexico and Peru trying to win every ball in any position and then I see Ozil just accept he's been beaten.

He did well in tracking back but the work rate was shocking, and not being a right back is no excuse. He's just a weaker Riquelme.

Disappointed Lee Seung Woo didn't start. Shin Tae Yong is a bizarre manager.

He said his tactic was that no Swedish spies could tell him apart in training because "all Koreans look the same" xD

Archived