talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Semi-Final - Wednesday 11th July - Croatia (aet)2-1 England

football forum

• Subscriber

Also I'm not buying this tripe about the favourable draw. It's true to an extent, getting Panama helped us but Colombia are a pretty normal standard of team to face in the Last 16, then Sweden are weaker than what you'd expect in the quarter finals but they were the team good enough to get that far while Germany and Spain were busy embarrassing themselves and getting knocked out by Russia, Mexico and fucking South Korea. Sweden were a better team than Germany at this World Cup, Croatia were a better team than Spain, just because they're called Germany and Spain doesn't mean they would have been harder opponents for England because they were both trash at this tournament.

It's not that England themselves have had an easy draw, it's that it's been a poor standard of teams in the World Cup in general and everyone has had the opportunity to benefit from that. England and Croatia have both done that while other teams have shat the bed when faced with a weaker standard of opposition than you'd usually face at this tournament but that doesn't mean you need to take away from what those two teams have managed to achieve.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

We are doing somethong though. Croatia only have a population of 4 million 

Croatia have a rare breed of players that play for top teams like Juventus, Madrid and Barcelona. It's nothing to do with England's development that started with these players in the late naughties. It's a rare generation and it's something they will not experience for another 15+ years. Let them enjoy it.

England honours:

2 National Cups

10 League titles

1 Champions League

Croatia Honours:

13 National Cups

11 League titles

9 Champions League

You look at their best players and they're all between 29-32, experience and class broke us down. Our best players are between 22 and 25, some of them will have 2 more World Cups in them as well as 2 Euros. Difficult to lose this but it will be character building and they will know what to expect next time, a semi final, two lots of extra time and a won penalty shoot out.

11 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

So why aren’t the USA, China, India, Pakistan and Bangladesh world beaters?

Well football is not massively popular in USA and Pakistan. There are countries doing worse per capita. I'm just disappointed Croatia can produce such a good size with a tenth the population 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

FOOTBALL'S NOT COMING HOME, IT's NOT COMING HOME, IT ISN'T. HRVATSKA! 

Just not a tactically smart country us. Getting knocked out in the groups to make sure you're more fresh for Qatar 2022 is where it's at.

50 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

A few years ago when Russia out corrupted England to win the right to host the world cup my father was angry. He said to me he would be dead before England get to host the world. I went off to my room incredibly upset over what he had said, the thought that my dad would die soon and not get something so simple and obvious an experience ripped me apart. I spent this world cup in London and had said to myself that I would go home for the final to spend it with my father as it would be a sort of compensation for what he had lost. That is not to be tonight and I am distraught over it.

I just hope my club will win something before I lose my father.

I reckon 2030 is ours to host. Fingers crossed your father makes it mate. 

15 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I mean Croatia have a lot of players historically who have played for big clubs. Prosinecki, Suker, Boban, the Kovac brothers etc were all part of the same generation I think. 

Theyre pretty consistent overperformers for their size.

1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

He wouldn't make it to the game. 

4 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Getting pissed in the crowd with his mates?

He’s not been away this year, been strength & conditioning all summer not drinking. He’s going Spurs and I know he was close to a call up, once he moves I’ll fill you in on the whole deal etc. 

Spurs are getting the one of the best attacking midfielders England have produced in a generation for a knock down price, it’s absolutely scandalous from Villa but we’re 20 years into a decline that won’t be reversed now. You can quote me on this in 18 months he’s going to be world class

5 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well football is not massively popular in USA and Pakistan. There are countries doing worse per capita. I'm just disappointed Croatia can produce such a good size with a tenth the population 

But you’re talking purely in population terms, not game popularity. Therefore, huge populations should produce better teams.

5 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I mean Croatia have a lot of players historically who have played for big clubs. Prosinecki, Suker, Boban, the Kovac brothers etc were all part of the same generation I think. 

Theyre pretty consistent overperformers for their size.

You just named a load of players that were most prominent in the nineties which was over fifthteen years ago, that was exactly my point.

5 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

You just named a load of players that were most prominent in the nineties which was over fifthteen years ago, that was exactly my point.

Yeah well I'm just trying to say that it's not unprecedented for Croatia to produce a group of top-class players at the same time. Most countries of that size are normally pleased to have a few players at that level in their whole history.

This generation also has the likes of Strinic (Sampdoria), Rebic (Frankfurt), Vida (Kyiv) starting for them so it's not like they're stacked head to toe with world class players. 

2 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Won’t get an argument from me. He’s far too inconsistent for a 25 year old.

When others were discussing about if we could go back to hateing players from this team again i saw a photo of his girlfriend wearing a shirt with J LINGZ 7 on the back, then I realised "yes, yes I could".

• The title was changed to Semi-Final - Wednesday 11th July - Croatia (aet)2-1 England
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived