talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber

"Setting a strong example".

The only example they'll be setting is that if you're Chelsea or Man City then you can do whatever you want and spend whatever you want but if you're not one of the teams upon which the Premier League brand depends then put a toe out of line and they'll use it as an excuse to hammer you in an attempt to create the illusion of these rules being enforced.

Moshiri and his pal Usmanov should never have been involved with Everton. The way the club has been run, owners like these should never have been able to pass any fit and proper owners test. But who's going to end up feeling the impact? Not Usmanov who managed to have his finger in the Premier League pot through a proxy owner, not Moshiri who has cut a deal to sell up, but the fans, staff and coaches who are already left picking up the pieces of the disaster that those two and Kenwright have caused over the past decade.

I'd understand it if Everton had spent more than we were allowed and overtaken a bunch of clubs that had done things by the book but we haven't. Any overspending, if it has actually happened, is part of the bigger picture of ridiculous ownership that has hamstrung the club and left them unable to spend a real transfer fee for nearly 2 years. And if the rules were breached, it was clearly 3-4 years ago by now because the penny pinching has been going on since Benitez was only able to spend £1.5m on incomings in the summer of 2021, so where does that leave the Premier League when they shut Burnley and Leeds down over their complaints about Everton's spending in 2021, and Leicester who would be a Premier League team today if this penalty was applied to us last season?

If our finances were fine in 2021 in terms of FFP, which the Premier League assured us was the case publicly, how can they not be fine now? The whole think stinks.

Financial "Fair" Play has been a joke since day one and if it didn't favour the clubs that the Premier League and TV rights holders wanted to be front and centre them we'd hear a lot more about it.

Everton whose summer incomings were Ashley Young (free transfer), Jack Harrison (on loan), Beto (somehow convinced Udinese to take £0 up front), Danjuma (loan with a £3m fee) and can't afford to play Dele Alli because they'll have to spend Spurs £10m after a few more appearances getting done on financial fair play while City are allowed to win trebles with 100+ breaches hanging over them and Chelsea are allowed to spend £1bn in 12 months. Well fucking done, Premier League.

If Everton do receive a points deduction, it's probably the best season for them to be hit with it, in fairness.

Pretty convinced they would stay manage to up when you factor in what a shit show Sheff Utd, Burnley, Bournemouth and Luton are this season.

Leicester might feel a bit robbed but let's be honest, the club on the whole will likely be in a better position than they were when they went, manager and squad wise. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

If Everton do receive a points deduction, it's probably the best season for them to be hit with it, in fairness.

Pretty convinced they would stay manage to up when you factor in what a shit show Sheff Utd, Burnley, Bournemouth and Luton are this season.

Leicester might feel a bit robbed but let's be honest, the club on the whole will likely be in a better position than they were when they went, manager and squad wise. 

12 points is a lot. I wouldn't be shocked if none of those four teams mentioned scored higher than about 35 points but Everton would still then have to get nearly 50 to survive, and so far we've got 7 points from 9 having played Fulham, Wolves, Bournemouth and Luton at home and Sheffield Utd away.

It is a maximum suggested punishment and I'll be surprised if the actual punishment got anywhere near that but for the Premier League to have the gall to call for that now after telling Leeds and Burnley to shut up in 2022 when they complained about our accounts, and having signed off on all of our paltry business since, and having done nothing about City's 100+ alleged breaches, etc etc, is quite rich to say the least.

• Upvote 2

12 is light when Juve got 20, but it seems like the Italians are far more ruthless when it comes to punishment.   

First off FFP is BS and it ensures the have's continue to stay at the top and it's hard for any up and coming team to eat into that pie as to get there you have to spend.   

That aside rules are rules and if statements must be made then Everton need to be hit hard as a warning to Yanited, Citeh and Chelsea. 12 points for those teams is chump change.

Either way it's a good season as pointed above to happen as Sheff United, Burnley and Luton are absolutely pants.

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

12 is light when Juve got 20, but it seems like the Italians are far more ruthless when it comes to punishment.   

First off FFP is BS and it ensures the have's continue to stay at the top and it's hard for any up and coming team to eat into that pie as to get there you have to spend.   

That aside rules are rules and if statements must be made then Everton need to be hit hard as a warning to Yanited, Citeh and Chelsea. 12 points for those teams is chump change.

Either way it's a good season as pointed above to happen as Sheff United, Burnley and Luton are absolutely pants.

Why should it be Everton that are hit hard to give a warning to those 3 clubs? Why does it have to be a 'smaller' club to take the hit? Just smacks of elitism and favouritism.  

• Upvote 1

After reading the article I'd be surprised if there were any point deductions. You can cite several examples all over Europe, even this last summer, of clubs breaching FFP and only receiving a find. 

This telegraph article seems to be blown way out of proportion. 

6 hours ago, Cicero said:

After reading the article I'd be surprised if there were any point deductions. You can cite several examples all over Europe, even this last summer, of clubs breaching FFP and only receiving a find. 

This telegraph article seems to be blown way out of proportion. 

I agree. I think it's really just a load of clickbait going with the sensational "worst case scenario."

And if they wanted to make an example for the big clubs to watch out for, I can think of 114 more reasons why City should be the club made an example of rather than Everton.

Just now, OrangeKhrush said:

im sure that if city are found guilty it will be major punishment, I'm pretty sure they will get demoted to the championship alone with transfer bans and fines

If 1 offense is -12 points. 115 offenses should be -1380 points. There's 114 points possible in a premier league season. 138 for the leagues below. I think that changes once you get down to the low enough on the football pyramid because at some point it stops being 24 teams.

If City are found guilty, and Everton's alleged punishment set the precedent... demoting to the championship is literally just a slap on the wrist for them. I don't think it matters in the long run because I think it's more of a clickbait headline than anything, I doubt 12 points get deducted from Everton.

But if it does and it comes to light that City are in fact guilty of even just half the 115 offenses... they'd need to be demoted down several leagues.

• Subscriber

I doubt we'll get a points penalty either but after the Premier League have ticked off all of our transfer business for the last 18 months or more, told other clubs publicly that we didn't have a case to answer, to then turn around and brief against the club to the press like this within 24 hours of the club mourning the death of the chairman is sly and frankly corrupt.

I have no idea what they're playing at to be honest because Everton must have so much written correspondence from the Premier League saying you're fine as long as you bring in a big fee by July 30th 2022 (Richarlison), signed off on us spending the money on Onana, etc.

There's rumours that the charge actually relates to a tax issue regarding the funding for the stadium. I'm no expert on these matters but to apply a competitive penalty like a points deduction instead of a fine or something makes next to no sense if that is indeed the nature of the breach.

9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If 1 offense is -12 points. 115 offenses should be -1380 points. There's 114 points possible in a premier league season. 138 for the leagues below. I think that changes once you get down to the low enough on the football pyramid because at some point it stops being 24 teams.

If City are found guilty, and Everton's alleged punishment set the precedent... demoting to the championship is literally just a slap on the wrist for them. I don't think it matters in the long run because I think it's more of a clickbait headline than anything, I doubt 12 points get deducted from Everton.

But if it does and it comes to light that City are in fact guilty of even just half the 115 offenses... they'd need to be demoted down several leagues.

Juventus are the only precedent to work off, they were relegated for financial irregularities in the mid 2000s before FFP.

Relegation to the championship would be catastrophic to City, they are geared to operate at a high expense and the championship can't even pay Rico Lewis wages for a week add in a 3 year transfer ban for incoming players it will force City to use their academy which they hope they haven't gutted.

57 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Juventus are the only precedent to work off, they were relegated for financial irregularities in the mid 2000s before FFP.

Relegation to the championship would be catastrophic to City, they are geared to operate at a high expense and the championship can't even pay Rico Lewis wages for a week add in a 3 year transfer ban for incoming players it will force City to use their academy which they hope they haven't gutted.

They were relegated for match fixing

6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I have no idea what they're playing at to be honest because Everton must have so much written correspondence from the Premier League saying you're fine as long as you bring in a big fee by July 30th 2022 (Richarlison), signed off on us spending the money on Onana, etc.

I imagine it's just the Premier League trying to show Government that they can regulate the league before an independent regulator comes in.

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Feel free to bookmark this as a hot take that turns out to be terrible but from what I saw of Jarrad Branthwaite today he is the natural long term successor for John Stones if Pep stays at Man City long enough to complete another rebuild.

Spoken to an Everton fan before who rates him very highly, not surprised you got that impression

• Subscriber

The club are set to appeal a 10 point deduction and I'm sure that'll get it reduced but I really think that punishment is objectively wrong unless some details come out that we're not aware of. See my previous posts for reasoning regarding the fact that the Premier League have babysat Everton's finances for the last two years only to turn around and cry foul for political reasons.

Thankfully I think we can afford a 10 point hit without ending up relegated this season.

All I'll say is that I look forward to seeing what City get in that case. 

• Subscriber

As much as everybody here deserved it last season we must have some sort of case here. We've been relegated at the expense of a side who were deemed worthy of a points deduction for their dealings. It's no longer a hypothetical.