talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Claude Puel Sacked by Leicester; Brendan Rodgers Hired

Can see Leicester getting the best part of £50m+ in the next window or two, as I can’t see them keeping hold of Maguire too longer. United are bound to be United and throw more money at their team and who knows, maybe they’ll realise they need to sort out their backline, Arsenal could do with a long-term CB, Chelsea are in the Chelsea cycle of appointing a new manager every year and buying a load of players and City could just buy him so nobody else can, like the spoilt rich kids they are. 

Could also see Maddison moving on in another year or two if he pushes on from what’s been a very good first season at Premier League level. 

Personally would not bother with Rodgers, I just can’t see him doing much there. Winning the league at a canter year in, year out is all well and good but there’s a big step up from that level to the Premier League, a much bigger step up, in fact. 

I don’t get why they’d want Benitez either. Think he’s hugely overrated after what was a mixed bag at Liverpool on the whole and a pretty unspectacular spell at Newcastle. I think it’s a sideways move by Leicester.

Strange one but I’d potentially look at Lee Johnson. 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Stan said:

Looking more and more likely we're going for Rodgers and trying to prise him away from Celtic. 

I’m really failing to see why he’d want to leave Celtic for Leicester. He’s chocolate the fella, so I can definitely see him thinking Leicester is actually beneath him.

• Subscriber

I think that is a bad move by Leicester tbh if appointing Rogers, he has done well at Celtic but Scottish Football and the SPL is way behind the EPL and even the English Championship and any manager can do well at a club like Celtic so it does not mean he will do well at the Foxes, he is mixing with the big boys again and no offence to Leicester but they are not another Liverpool. :eek:

Rodgers has been looking for a way out at Celtic since the summer, it seems, after they didn’t back him enough in the transfer market. 

Domestically, they’ve dominated, as you’d expect and I suppose all you can hope for at Celtic these days is making the Champions League group stages and coming 3rd. Under the current format of that, it’s hard not to be drawn against two giants in Pots One and Two, so I suppose 3rd is the best that they can hope for. There’s also some pretty big names in the Europa League knockout rounds, proven by their defeat by Valencia the other week.

Not sure how he’ll do in all honesty. He plays attacking football in Scotland but that’s nothing you wouldn’t expect from Celtic and playing Hamilton Academicals and St Mirren is a long way from playing Liverpool and Manchester City.

19 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Rodgers has been looking for a way out at Celtic since the summer, it seems, after they didn’t back him enough in the transfer market. 

Domestically, they’ve dominated, as you’d expect and I suppose all you can hope for at Celtic these days is making the Champions League group stages and coming 3rd. Under the current format of that, it’s hard not to be drawn against two giants in Pots One and Two, so I suppose 3rd is the best that they can hope for. There’s also some pretty big names in the Europa League knockout rounds, proven by their defeat by Valencia the other week.

Not sure how he’ll do in all honesty. He plays attacking football in Scotland but that’s nothing you wouldn’t expect from Celtic and playing Hamilton Academicals and St Mirren is a long way from playing Liverpool and Manchester City.

To be fair he drew both of his games home and away against Manchester City by playing attacking football. 

As well as some hammerings against PSG and Barcelona.

2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Celtic fans are really bothered here, why? I get he’s bossed it domestically there but can they really begrudge him a move?

Leicester will still finish mid table, so he just preferred finishing mid table in the PL than to win the Scottish League. I would be annoyed if i followed Scottish football in general

It's an extremely weak league with little focus on it where winning the league with Celtic doesn't get you much credit anyway. It's not difficult to understand why someone would leave Celtic for a Premier League club. Not much different to Marco Silva leaving Olympiacos for Watford.

16 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Leicester will still finish mid table, so he just preferred finishing mid table in the PL than to win the Scottish League. I would be annoyed if i followed Scottish football in general

He’s working in a better league, for a start, it’s most certainly a promotion. How much further can he take Celtic? 

Don't understand people who are questioning Rodgers' motives. He is coming to a better league and to a team that may not be as big historically as Celtic, but in terms of resources and ambitions the difference is massive.

When you look at Leicester and their owners, then this is a club that can take the next step. I doubt, however, if Rodgers is the man for that. 

I haven't followed Celtic, but all this talk about his attacking brand of football is also rubbish. At Swansea he only continued his former manager's good work and at Liverpool, if you take away Suarez's freak season then it was damp, pointless, non-innovative possession football. And then there is the David Brent-esque behaviour. When the results stop coming I expect the Leicester fans to get tired of his words. 

Still, I won't mind if he proves me wrong. Leicester is a good club and they have gone through a horrible tragedy. They deserve some happiness. 

Really good work this from Leicester.

I rate Rodgers. Have done since his Swansea days and contrary to any other belief, I think he was pivotal in nearly winning the league for Liverpool, regardless of Suarez.

I can certainly see why he's left Celtic. It soon becomes stale being that dominant. The challenge wears thin quick. Gerrard will be the same. It's merely a stepping stone to launch or resurrect a career. 

He will help give them back an identity, something Puel has somewhat taken away from them. Leicester have always been capable of goals and have some talented forward options, so I think he'll install an attack minded philosophy in keeping with his previous stints.

He will help encourage the growth of youth at the club as this is where he originally came from at Chelsea and this will be vital to the clubs future progress if they can get a few make it to first team level.

He's already got the likes of Chilwell, Barnes, Maddison, Gray, Ndidi, Choudary and Tielemens to work with, all young guys to build a team around. I believe he is can help develop their game further.

My only thought would be that they cannot break Top 6. They will realistically only go for a Cup or to finish as high as 7th. Will that be enough for him?

We will see though. The immediate aim has to be to finish the season strong, as high as possible and give him a chance to suss out who is worth keeping and who isn't.

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

There is something slightly perverse about a manager leaving a genuine giant for a no more than average sized English club. That's the world though. 

Remember when Neil Lennon won his 3rd league title in a row then ended up trying to keep Bolton Wanderers in the Championship a few months later :4_joy:

Rodgers is a quality manager so long as he is provided with players who are capable of playing his ideal system, and the club/team have the attitude to buy-into his methods.

He improved the Celtic team massively, and the idea that you can't judge his work because we already are guaranteed the league is:

1- stupid because anyone with eyes can see if a team is playing better or not, and the team has delivered European performances (in extremely hard groups) unlike anything in the last 6-7 years,

2- stupid because even if you just look at trophies it's objectively undeniable that he's vastly improved things.

Nonetheless when the club failed to achieve its transfer targets last summer he somewhat threw-in the towel and has responded with bizarre team selections rather than proper adjustments. And there have been persistent issues - such as defending set-pieces - which are deeper than personnel and which have consistently cost results in Europe.

Edit: also considering the state of recruitment I wouldn't have blamed him at all for leaving in the summer. But leaving with 2 trophies to play for, a crucial league game tomorrow, a cup quarter final in a week, and on the cusp of becoming a hero to the club - all for a fairly mundane job - reflects extremely negatively on him personally.

• The title was changed to Claude Puel Sacked by Leicester; Brendan Rodgers Hired

Archived