talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Racism in Football

football forum

19 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Going to be unpopular but the game shouldn’t have gone ahead today, I think. It just makes the whole thing a bit of a box ticking exercise for the Premier League that they’re not quite serious enough about. 

The Black Lives Matter patches on shirt sleeves, the t-shirts teams have worn in their warmups and the kneel prior to kick-odd just doesn’t seem quite so serious anymore after Zaha’s suffered unbelievable abuse over night/this morning and he’s gone on and played. How much he’s been effected and how much Palace were effected is not measurable for us mere fans but I can’t imagine he’s batted it off lightly and not should he. 

Postponement seems quite serious, I know, and I know the abuse didn’t happen inside a football stadium but it’s a stand I feel the Premier League should have made today. The Black Lives Matter movement isn’t purely aligned to Football, let alone Premier League Football and not sport at all, it’s far bigger than that and I don’t think it looks great that today’s game went ahead. 

Online bullying, racism etc is another story and should have harsher punishments by law. 

Edited by SirBalon 69

Do ye boys reckon a bit of the racism is born of jealousy? A small % of Britain is black (less than 5%) but a huge % of British footballers are black (or have that heritage), maybe the knuckle-dragging boys think their is a bit of favouritism towards black footballers making them all wound up and bitter? 

Even despite all the racial issues, Black British people seem to have a lot of hugely successful people, definitely doing a damn good job over-representing themselves in terms of population numbers, especially in athletics.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

42% rise in reports of discrimination in English football in 2019/20...

(I'm aware this article covers all discrimination, not just racism)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54011669

Reports of discrimination in English football rose 42% last season despite fans not attending some games amid the Covid-19 pandemic, says Kick It Out.

The anti-discrimination charity says reports it received increased from 313 in 2018-19 to 446 in 2019-20.

Reports of racism in the professional game rose 53% and those of abuse based on sexual orientation increased by 95%.

A YouGov poll of 1,000 fans also found 71% had seen racism directed towards footballers on social media.

The poll, commissioned by Kick It Out, also showed that 30% of fans had heard racist comments or chants at a match.

Sanjay Bhandari, chair of Kick It Out said football had "responded positively" to the coronavirus pandemic and the death of George Floyd in the United States in May, which led to global protests.

But he added: "Beneath the surface, hate and division in society remains a lurking pernicious threat.

"Our reports indicate a steep rise in discrimination reports over the last two years, which reflect the hate crime statistics from the Home Office that show marked national increases over the last four years.

“We know that reports to Kick It Out are just the tip of the iceberg. We only report what is reported to us."

Football was suspended in March because of the coronavirus pandemic, with the Premier League and Championship resuming in June without fans in stadiums.

There were still instances of players being racially abused on social media, with Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha and Sheffield United striker David McGoldrick among those targeted.

The poll also found 32% of fans said they had heard homophobic comments at a football match last season and, of those, 41% of respondents have witnessed homophobic abuse aimed at footballers on social media.

Before fans were denied access to stadiums last season, there were several instances of homophobic chants at Premier League games.

Bhandari added: "Social media can be a battleground of hate. We need to work together across society to win this battle.

"We need better regulation and enforcement and we need social media companies to be part of the solution. We need clubs and governing bodies to continue to lobby for change, sanction offending supporters and support law enforcement processes with the provision of evidence.

“We need players to continue to use their powerful voices. Kick It Out will play its part with campaigning, education and talent programmes that diversify the face of football. But this is everyone’s responsibility. We all need to take a stand."

In the grassroots game, reports of discrimination fell by 14%, although amateur seasons were cancelled in March because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

When comparing like-for-like time periods to the previous season, there was an 11% rise.

Paul Elliott, chair of the Football Association's inclusion advisory board, said: "The FA has made huge strides in recent years to ensure that English football is a diverse and inclusive game, but we know there is more to be done.

"We strongly condemn all forms of discrimination and, while only participants fall under the FA's jurisdiction, we investigate all reported forms of discriminatory abuse in English football at every level of the game, and work closely with the relevant authorities to ensure matters are dealt with appropriately."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Like comparisons between Nigerians and scammers, an entire African nations football team and people selling knocked off gear on a beach...there will still be people who won’t see the fuss, and they will have a much more important stake in football and it’s governance than we’d want them to

Edited by Danny

50 minutes ago, Danny said:

Like comparisons between Nigerians and scammers, an entire African nations football team and people selling knocked off gear on a beach...there will still be people who won’t see the fuss, and they will have a much more important stake in football and it’s governance than we’d want them to

Well isn't that because of that famous email scam not their skin colour?

57 minutes ago, Stan said:

Sigh. 

Isn't this more a case of our own inherit biases filling in the gaps? They didn't say the drug dealer was black, just that they are quick, we filled in the part making the drug dealer black because of whatever influences (TV, experiences, media, newspapers, music etc). I don't think the issue is the comparison but the fact that we make the link that the comparison is a racist without being explicitly so. An inappropriate simile for a professional broadcaster regardless of racial intent but would we be discussing it if it were directed at a quick white player like Jordi Alba? I think this a deeper issue that what is presented at face value, the social conditioning of inferring a racist statement without the explicit meaning.

• Subscriber

I still think its wrong that ABC put it out but hey this is a guy that apparently has a history with these sorts of things too so I suppose everyone can just draw their own conclusions. He did also apologize stating that he was admiring Ansu instead of trying to racially mock him but I suppose in his mind seeing the immigrants run from the police is the only thing he could associate with speed. Weird much?

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/22/football/ansu-fati-abc-salvador-sostres-racist-article-spt-intl/index.html

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned.

Pathetic this shit still goes on. Social media companies need to and should do so much more to stop this happening or take punishment against those who write such vile shit. 

Until this is stamped out for good, there'll always be a fight worth having in the battle against racism in football. 

We’ll all be appalled that this is happening so much again, we’ll condemn these idiots but we’ll carry on. Nothing will change and then, again, in a month or so’s time when it happens again, we’ll go back to being appalled, we’ll condemn it and then we’ll carry on. Whilst we allow the cycle to continue, change isn’t happening. All these empty gestures haven’t changed and will continue to change nothing. 

Edited by Smiley Culture

• The title was changed to Racism in Football

To be honest what are fans and football authorities supposed to do beyond condemning and promoting anti-racism?

Condemnation is our obvious power and it is a power. Don't underestimate how social media firms will be squirming when they're under the spotlight for housing racists.

There's no quick fix.

4 minutes ago, ToonFan said:

Institute consequences.

You racistly abuse a player on social media, you get a lifetime football ban. We issue them for violent conduct and football disorder and by and large that is gone from the game these days and at least at a much reduced level outside of derby's than it was many years ago because the consequences are so horrid they outweigh the momentary gratification of the act.  

Originally a good idea, still hardly practicable as the clubs have no means to see, who these aliases are in real life and the police has more important things to do than to roam social media for racist slurs.

17 minutes ago, ToonFan said:

Institute consequences.

You racistly abuse a player on social media, you get a lifetime football ban. We issue them for violent conduct and football disorder and by and large that is gone from the game these days and at least at a much reduced level outside of derby's than it was many years ago because the consequences are so horrid they outweigh the momentary gratification of the act.  

I'm sure clubs do that already if they find someone who is a member or season ticket holder has done something don't they?

I don't think it's a greater deterrent than a police prosecution though. 

38 minutes ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

To be honest what are fans and football authorities supposed to do beyond condemning and promoting anti-racism?

Condemnation is our obvious power and it is a power. Don't underestimate how social media firms will be squirming when they're under the spotlight for housing racists.

There's no quick fix.

In light of the sheer amount of racial abuse that has been highlighted this week (yes, I get that it’s a snowball effect once one has been highlighted in the press), I don’t think there should be any Premier League games this weekend. A statement condemning it and taking a knee has been done. Countless times. It’s changed nothing. A proper protest in this manner about what’s gone on this week reverberates around the planet far quicker and far better than a media graduates three paragraph statement or taking the knee. 

It’s not a quick fix but I think a line needs to be drawn and this behaviour and the institutions housing these people attacked head on.

• Subscriber

Are there actually any arguments against making it a legal requirement to link any social media account to your actual identity instead of just an email address? It wouldn't be as simple as it sounds by any means. My account on Twitter has no indication of my name on it, and lots of people like to have accounts like that, I totally get it. But people are going online and saying things that would get them prosecuted for hate speech if they did it in person. We should be happy to link our identities to any social media accounts on the condition that the company would only disclose them to authorities in aid of law enforcement to stop stuff like this being so easy to get away with.