talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

VAR in the Premier League

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Lucas said:

So Robertson was penalised against Brighton and Fuchs was penalised against Fulham.

But because our player stayed on his feet, it's gone under the radar.

This is the problem. Inconsistencies. If he goes down there, no one is really complaining it's a penalty are they.

This isn't a VAR thing though. This is just part of the same problem where the referee's decision is not based on the actual offence of the defender but on the reaction of the forward who is fouled.

Not only has diving and going down when it isn't needed just been accepted but it is actively encouraged because our referees are incapable of understanding that a player can stay on his feet and still have been fouled.

For me, I'd prefer it if the defender's tackle isn't bad enough to force the attacker to the ground without them diving of letting their legs buckle, then it isn't a foul, but we'll never see an honest system like that in football again.

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

This isn't a VAR thing though. This is just part of the same problem where the referee's decision is not based on the actual offence of the defender but on the reaction of the forward who is fouled.

Not only has diving and going down when it isn't needed just been accepted but it is actively encouraged because our referees are incapable of understanding that a player can stay on his feet and still have been fouled.

For me, I'd prefer it if the defender's tackle isn't bad enough to force the attacker to the ground without them diving of letting their legs buckle, then it isn't a foul, but we'll never see an honest system like that in football again.

Oh no, it's not an attempt to dig out VAR, more highlighting the fact we saw two very similar decisions in the past 7 days and we've shot ourselves in the foot by being honest. I do wonder though whether because of that, it was ever initially looked at or not by the panel but it is frustrating.

For the record, I'm actually with @Dr. Gonzo, I think it's soft as shit giving penalties for that, Brighton's and Fulham's. But seeing as the phrase 'letter of the law' get's bounded about so easily these days, it's frustrating when these little things occur against you.

Edited by Lucas

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Oh no, it's not an attempt to dig out VAR, more highlighting the fact we saw two very similar decisions in the past 7 days and we've shot ourselves in the foot by being honest. I do wonder though whether because of that, it was ever initially looked at or not by the panel but it is frustrating.

For the record, I'm actually with @Dr. Gonzo, I think it's soft as shit giving penalties for that, Brighton's and Fulham's. But seeing as the phrase 'letter of the law' get's bounded about so easily these days, it's frustrating when these little things occur against you.

I don't think Fulham's was soft at all. Think it was a clear penalty. 

• 3 months later...

I hope to god they look at the offsides and can do something about those ridiculous lines that come out. I've had a gutful of that shit.

I accept there will be some that will say 'offside is offside' and all that jazz but it's absolutely sucked the life out of a game seeing goals that to the naked eye seem legit, then these minute lines say no, it's offside by a shoulder, armpit or a knee cap. Just fuck off.

I've found that the most frustrating thing above everything and being perfectly honest here, I don't care if someone scores a marginal one against us which the previous VAR lines would have wiped out, if it means we can have a degree of common sense back in the game.

What the answer is I don't know, whether you measure from the foot or you thicken the VAR lines like they do in the Eredivisie, whatever it takes to stop these joke decisions.

People forget this Sport is supposed to provide entertainment.

Edited by Lucas
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Lucas said:

I accept there will be some that will say 'offside is offside' and all that jazz but it's absolutely sucked the life out of a game seeing goals that to the naked eye seem legit

I completely agree with everything in the post, but YES to this specific segment here.

I remember there was an offside in the build up of the Palmeiras - River game that nobody saw or would have questioned without VAR. That's the sort of thing that pisses me off. Not clear and obvious at all.

VAR could actually work with improved offside rules too, but they need to cut out that non-clear and obvious shite.

4 minutes ago, Mpache said:

I completely agree with everything in the post, but YES to this specific segment here.

I remember there was an offside in the build up of the Palmeiras - River game that nobody saw or would have questioned without VAR. That's the sort of thing that pisses me off. Not clear and obvious at all.

VAR could actually work with improved offside rules too, but they need to cut out that non-clear and obvious shite.

Now that it seem's from next season we have a bit more common sense on these controversial handball shouts that have been happening, they will go a long way to getting fans and players more on board if they can sort out the offside rule.

I'd probably accept it they said just stay consistant with the foot, it's easier to comprehend if the attackers foot is ever so slightly ahead of the defenders, but for fuck sake, don't penalise an attacker for pointing to where he wants the ball played and saying his arm or shoulder is offside or shite like that.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Scouse_Mouse said:

And replace it with what? 

Things were hardly great before VAR was introduced.

They were better before it.

Sure there were more referee errors but there was soul in the game.

I think VAR is here to stay though sadly, so we'll just have to deal with it.

1 minute ago, Mpache said:

They were better before it.

Sure there were more referee errors but there was soul in the game.

I think VAR is here to stay though sadly, so we'll just have to deal with it.

No I don't think they were. VAR should be better, the way it's implemented is beyond frustrating, it should be to correct clear errors not to spend minutes poring over multi coloured lines and slo-mo replays.

I'd still take it over the situation that we had before with goals not given when they were a yard over the line or players not flagged who were a yard offside.

VAR needs fixing not replacing.

As much as VAR was a farce when it came in and causes some stupid decisions now, the games where it is not used now (such as the cup competitions) are not as enjoyable for me now. 

VAR is brilliant if used the right way and I think slowly the officials are getting better, despite some obvious issues.

9 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

No I don't think they were. VAR should be better, the way it's implemented is beyond frustrating, it should be to correct clear errors not to spend minutes poring over multi coloured lines and slo-mo replays.

I'd still take it over the situation that we had before with goals not given when they were a yard over the line or players not flagged who were a yard offside.

VAR needs fixing not replacing.

I agree that it needs fixing, there is ways to make it work.

However, I don't necessarily trust the people in charge of the sport.

4 minutes ago, Moon Monkey said:

I agree

It's fantastic for off side decisions though, maybe too clinical for some.

And that is the problem, it doesn't need to be clinical at all. 

Correct the obvious errors, if they need multi coloured lines or multiple slow motion replays then leave the call the way it was.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Chris Cope said:

In my opinion, we should get rid of VAR.

The only way, as I see it is a boycott of attendance. 

We've been trying this for a year and they still haven't got the message.

• Haha 1