talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ross Barkley "the Scouse Paul Gascoigne"

Related image

A thread to analyse the performances of Chelsea's and England's Ross Barkley. 

England vs Bulgaria

Ross started the game at Wembley and for me struggled to fully impress, this comes after some decent performances in previous England games. I wouldn't say he was bad but perhaps struggled to stamp his full authority on the game, this was a little disappointing given the amount of possession England had and the level of opposition. He did, however, take up some decent positions and was a good focal point for some of England's passing patterns but overall perhaps he could have done a little more.

Tune in next week for another Ross Barkley analysis and feel free to participate. Let's see if we find ourselves repeating the same throughout the season.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Barkley's greatest achievement is somehow convincing people year in, year out that aged 25 he's still some sort of "one to watch" because whenever he has 2 good games all the media swoon and start touting him to finally find some consistency.

He's not growing a footballing brain at this age. He's got a lot of technical talent but he will never learn how to get the best out of it which will leave him eternally showing signs of promise without finding consistency.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Barkley's greatest achievement is somehow convincing people year in, year out that aged 25 he's still some sort of "one to watch" because whenever he has 2 good games all the media swoon and start touting him to finally find some consistency.

He's not growing a footballing brain at this age. He's got a lot of technical talent but he will never learn how to get the best out of it which will leave him eternally showing signs of promise without finding consistency.

It's like Wilshere. Obviously I carry no weight in this but if it's up to me I'm not exactly looking to Barkley now. He should drop to a Watford or someone next summer.

8 minutes ago, Dan said:

It's like Wilshere. Obviously I carry no weight in this but if it's up to me I'm not exactly looking to Barkley now. He should drop to a Watford or someone next summer.

At least Wilshere’s career was torn apart by injury...on the pitch he was handy regardless of being a hothead

• Subscriber
28 minutes ago, Dan said:

I was actually about to compare him to Wilshere but I stopped short because, while the groundhog day cycle of "maybe this time" continuing to exist is very similar, the reasons for them never delivering are very different as @Danny says.

Problem with Barkley is he was about this good when he was 19-20, and it was justified to say he had massive potential. He hasn't progressed nearly enough and in that time Dele Alli has gone from unheard of to twice the player Ross is and taken the place that Barkley was supposed to make his own in the England team. Winks, Maddison and Mount are all well on their way to being out of sight of him ability-wise.

Everton was a place he could get away with it a bit as he was the local boy but now he wouldn't even get a game for us. Sigurdsson last season got twice as many goals and assists as Barkley ever did in a season for us.

He will serve a role at Chelsea as good enough to see off the likes of Southampton and Brighton and weaker European opposition without too much trouble but in terms of raising his level and "fulfilling his potential", it's not going to happen. I thought the change of scenery at Chelsea had a chance of galvanising him and making it happen but all I've seen from him there is the same old Ross with good technique, inconsistent decision making and hiding from the ball when things aren't going his way.

• Subscriber

I agree that the Wilshere comparson is probably hard on Wilshere but I think it's just because I can envisage the articles and debates about "what next for Barkley" like we get with Wilshere a lot and it's become such a tedious debate - the answer is nothing until they've proven they can step it up a level.

Barkley I just don't think is that good. He's capable of the sublime but nowhere near often enough. His all-round game isn't that great and you always get found out when that's the case. The only thing stopping him dropping to Brighton or Burnley this summer gone was Chelsea's transfer ban.

He's not a terrible player but he's not that great either. I don't think there's loads more to it than that. The Chelsea move I always found odd. He wasn't going to be good enough.

• Subscriber

Jesus, how could you ever compare him to Gazza, Gazza in his prime was 10 times better, the Booze got to Gazza in the end but in his day playing for Spurs, Lazio and a few more and England too gives him 10 times a better rating to me than Ross Barkley.

Gazza 

Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
1985–1988 Newcastle United 92 (21)
1988–1992 Tottenham Hotspur 92 (19)
1992–1995 Lazio 43 (6)
1995–1998 Rangers 74 (30)
1998–2000 Middlesbrough 41 (4)
2000–2002 Everton 32 (1)
2002 Burnley 6 (0)
2003 Gansu Tianma 4 (2)
2004 Boston United 4 (0)
Total   388 (83)
National team
1987–1988 England U21 12 (5)
1989 England B 4 (1)
1988–1998 England

Barkley

Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2010–2018 Everton 150 (21)
2012  Sheffield Wednesday (loan) 13 (4)
2013  Leeds United (loan) 4 (0)
2018– Chelsea 32 (3)
National team
2008–2009 England U16 7 (2)
2009–2010 England U17 7 (2)
2010–2012 England U19 12 (0)
2013 England U20 3 (0)
2011–2013 England U21 5 (1)
2013– England

• Administrator
15 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

11 hours ago, Dan said:

And Lingard. 

10 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Jesus, how could you ever compare him to Gazza, Gazza in his prime was 10 times better, the Booze got to Gazza in the end but in his day playing for Spurs, Lazio and a few more and England too gives him 10 times a better rating to me than Ross Barkley.

Gazza 

Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
1985–1988 Newcastle United 92 (21)
1988–1992 Tottenham Hotspur 92 (19)
1992–1995 Lazio 43 (6)
1995–1998 Rangers 74 (30)
1998–2000 Middlesbrough 41 (4)
2000–2002 Everton 32 (1)
2002 Burnley 6 (0)
2003 Gansu Tianma 4 (2)
2004 Boston United 4 (0)
Total   388 (83)
National team
1987–1988 England U21 12 (5)
1989 England B 4 (1)
1988–1998 England

Barkley

Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2010–2018 Everton 150 (21)
2012  Sheffield Wednesday (loan) 13 (4)
2013  Leeds United (loan) 4 (0)
2018– Chelsea 32 (3)
National team
2008–2009 England U16 7 (2)
2009–2010 England U17 7 (2)
2010–2012 England U19 12 (0)
2013 England U20 3 (0)
2011–2013 England U21 5 (1)
2013– England

I agree that people shouldn't compare the two, it is a bit of a kick in the tooth for Gazza. However, Barkley is only 25 and I presume he hasn't hit his prime season yet. I'm not a lover of Barkley but still think he's got more in the locker to give, so I hope for England's sake he performs well!

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, carlmeyer said:

I agree that people shouldn't compare the two, it is a bit of a kick in the tooth for Gazza. However, Barkley is only 25 and I presume he hasn't hit his prime season yet. I'm not a lover of Barkley but still think he's got more in the locker to give, so I hope for England's sake he performs well!

Welcome aboard TF365 Forums @carlmeyer nice to have another United guy in here, keep posting.  :ay:

14 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

I wasn't being serious with the title by the way and I've never really rated Barkley by the way either. 

Bit of tongue and cheek.

Was going to do a topic for Azpilicueta as well. ;)

I am convinced that if Azpilicueta’s paying time is reduced, he will improve. Barkley...not so much.

Had a brilliant pre season, but is super poor so far this season. His consistency is never there, he is either superb or dog shit. With Ruben returning i doubt he can hold a starting spot. Think he will be okay for a squad player this season, as we need depth during a long season.

On 09/09/2019 at 11:52, carefreeluke said:

I wasn't being serious with the title by the way and I've never really rated Barkley by the way either. 

Bit of tongue and cheek.

Was going to do a topic for Azpilicueta as well. ;)

Take it from me people do not understand tongue in cheek topic titles on here, see “As shit as the French League” topic xD

• 3 weeks later...

I have had several PM's asking about the lack of updates from Ross' recent games. Sorry for the delay.

Chelsea vs Grimbsy

Chelsea vs Brighton

Bluewolf wrote a nice little summary regarding Ross yesterday and for me, it sums up nicely his downside at the moment.  This has perhaps always been a problem for Ross but it has been even more evident in the last two games.

19 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

That was very noticeable on Wednesday as well with him... In an otherwise excellent team performance he dawdles on the ball too much and it does not fit well with the quicker movement of other players when we push forward and he feels the need to have an extra touch or take on one more player and then loses the ball... 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Ross' ratings so far:

England vs Bulgaria: 6/10

England vs Kosovo 6/10

Chelsea vs Grimbsy 6/10

Chelsea vs Brighton 6/10

If you were feeling cynical you could perhaps say this sums up his career.

There will be an 8/10 at some point in the next 16 games to keep his 1 in 20 ratio stable. Then we can see it sums up his career.

Archived