• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Transfer Rumours 2017

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

It is, absolutely crazy. But as Stan said, it's the way the market is. Look at it this way, we'll probably end up paying around the same amount as what City paid for John Stones and I think we can all agree that VVD is a better CB than John Stones. 

True but Stones as a deal was a joke and many were in agreement.

How good is van Dijk? Don't really see him regularly enough. I do like the look of him but he's made a couple of howlers against us, think I might've just gotten unlucky though.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Dan said:

True but Stones as a deal was a joke and many were in agreement.

How good is van Dijk? Don't really see him regularly enough. I do like the look of him but he's made a couple of howlers against us, think I might've just gotten unlucky though.

good at scoring offside goals

• Subscriber

There it is again - "just the way the market is right now" from more than one person.

£46m might represent a good transfer if Van Dijk becomes a Liverpool stalwart for the next five years but that price is still ridiculous and you could get a similar player on the continent for less, or a young player who could develop to reach the same level as Van Dijk for much less.

Just because Man City are pissing away retarded amounts of money on every transfer doesn't mean that's the market rate, it's just a line people use to convince themselves that their club isn't being mugged off, like our fans did last season when we broke/matched the club transfer record for Yannick Bolasie.

As for John Stones, Liverpool could pay £460m for Van Dijk and that would be a better deal than Stones for £50m, the lad was wildly inconsistent at Everton apart from one spell that lasted a few months and has shown no evidence of improving on that since joining City.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

There it is again - "just the way the market is right now" from more than one person.

£46m might represent a good transfer if Van Dijk becomes a Liverpool stalwart for the next five years but that price is still ridiculous and you could get a similar player on the continent for less, or a young player who could develop to reach the same level as Van Dijk for much less.

Just because Man City are pissing away retarded amounts of money on every transfer doesn't mean that's the market rate, it's just a line people use to convince themselves that their club isn't being mugged off, like our fans did last season when we broke/matched the club transfer record for Yannick Bolasie.

As for John Stones, Liverpool could pay £460m for Van Dijk and that would be a better deal than Stones for £50m, the lad was wildly inconsistent at Everton apart from one spell that lasted a few months and has shown no evidence of improving on that since joining City.

Back this 100%. It amazes me how much fans defend their own clubs wasting money.

I'm not saying any of you are directing your comments at me personally but I haven't once tried to justify the price tag... It's a ludicrous amount of money. 

The only thing that's pleasing from a personal point of view is that Liverpool, for a long time now, have always baulked at the asking price for our first choice targets or withdrawn from negotions when a big club is also in the running. At least this time our manager has identified his target that he feels will sure up our our defence and the suits upstairs have gone out and got him, despite the competition for his signature. 

To summaries.... Not happy with the price we are paying but delighted with the ambition being shown. It's a real statement signing (if it goes through). 

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I'm not saying any of you are directing your comments at me personally but I haven't once tried to justify the price tag... It's a ludicrous amount of money. 

The only thing that's pleasing from a personal point of view is that Liverpool, for a long time now, have always baulked at the asking price for our first choice targets or withdrawn from negotions when a big club is also in the running. At least this time our manager has identified his target that he feels will sure up our our defence and the suits upstairs have gone out and got him, despite the competition for his signature. 

To summaries.... Not happy with the price we are paying but delighted with the ambition being shown. It's a real statement signing (if it goes through). 

I was just quoting the famous meme, "never wanted him mate" xD. Fair to say i wasn't aware we were in talks with him, as every summer we are linked with every living player.

Brighton have signed Mathew Ryan from Valencia according to The Mirror.

I assume that means Stockdale won't be signing another contract, he'll be a decent signing for anyone who can pick him up on a free.

23 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

This is hope I feel too. I'm not daft enough to think it's a justified price in any which way but it's how football is nowadays. And though there is talent out there if you look deep enough, the fact of the matter is that any young player deemed promising usually get priced in the same sort of range...20-40m is the going rate for any half decent fucker now. 

3 minutes ago, Dan said:

Brighton doing some decent business early doors.

Agree, still got a lot of work to do though.

Looks like Tammy Abraham is coming up here, he's a good player but as I've said previously I don't think he will fit into a system as a lone striker in the Premier League. 

23 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Hope we get close enough to the goal for Tap-in Abraham to score :ph34r:

I'd have rather got rid of Mitrovic and spent £20+ million on a proper striker.

I won't be confident going into the season with Gayle and Abraham as our options.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

very high amount but reflective of the ludicrous transfer market we're in. 

As for the last time you competed, not even Coutinho, Firmino, Mane? Or going back bit further, Luis Suarez?

Didn't see this until just now, but I don't think any of those we really had any competition from a big or bigger club for the player.

Coutinho was out of favour at Inter. There were question marks as to whether he had the quality to make it in a top league because of this and we got him for a very cheap price considering the quality we ended up receiving. As far as I know, we weren't in competition with anyone for him.

Firmino I'm fairly certain we were the biggest club in for him, if not the only club. Same with Mane. Luis Suarez, as far as I know, didn't have any competition from any other English clubs either. Even going back to Fernando Torres, we didn't really have much competition from anyone before we bagged him. Last time I think we actually beat a club with more money and prestige than us for a player was Harry Kewell from Leeds going to us over Man Utd. And that only happened because he was a Liverpool fan as a kid, because otherwise he probably may have enjoyed his last few years at the top level a bit more (and probably wouldn't have had to be rushed back to injury as much).

It's been rare that we'd land our top targets, especially if anyone else was in for them. So if it's true that we wind up getting VVD, sure it might be serious money, but he's also probably the most sought after defender in the league. And that would be nice for us to land.

4 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Joyce saying that VVD held talks with Us, City and Chelsea and he's decided he wants to sign for us. Unbelievable. 

Joyce also says the price will be £46m + around £6m in add-Ons if certain silverware is won. 

Just want to clarify something.

Has a fee been officially agreed because surely if Liverpool have spoken to the player without Saints giving them permission then that's tapping up? Or have Southampton said he can go round and talk to Liverpool, City and Chelsea before a fee is agreed?

Archived