talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 0-1 Chelsea - Thursday 4th March, 2021

football forum

6 minutes ago, Storts said:

Lucas has done it for me but not really - you’d largely avoided major injuries to all your key players for a couple of years. They had played the vast majority of games. They were ridden to a CL and a league title. For me no surprise many of them have broken down this year - although that front three continues to avoid the injury bug- although they just look burnt out.

In all honesty I take anything from Spurs regarding injuries with a huge pinch of salt. Even your manager was waffling on about Spurs injuries before they played us, he claimed Spurs had suffered as much, which sounded plausible until you looked at his list that included youth players and cafeteria staff. xD

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
Just now, Scouse_Mouse said:

In all honesty I take anything from Spurs regarding injuries with a huge pinch of salt. Even your manager was waffling on about Spurs injuries before they played us, he claimed Spurs had suffered as much, which sounded plausible until you looked at his list that included youth players and cafeteria staff. xD

Cool. I really don’t care. 

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Alisson 29 (He had that injury at the start granted)

Trent 38

Robertson 36

VVD 38

Gomez 28

Henderson 39 (He had that injury after the restart if I remember?)

Fabinho 28

Wijnaldum 37

Mane 35

Firmino 38

Salah 34

This is more than conclusive. Please can we just pack this in? It's actually ridiculous that anyone can look at these numbers and argue that you were anything less than ridiculously fortunate. Seriously, how are we debating this? Unbelievable. If you STILL haven't had enough sympathy or made enough excuses then at least focus on waffling on about this season's injuries because at least those ones actually exist.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

This is more than conclusive. Please can we just pack this in? It's actually ridiculous that anyone can look at these numbers and argue that you were anything less than ridiculously fortunate. Seriously, how are we debating this? Unbelievable. If you STILL haven't had enough sympathy or made enough excuses then at least focus on waffling on about this season's injuries because at least those ones actually exist.

Nobody is trying to debate this, nobody is saying we avoided injuries to a great extent last season, it's this season that is being debated, what has last season got to do with unprecedented injuries this season?

The only question I asked was whether injuries in a prolonged drawn out season last last year was the same across the board for most clubs?

14 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

So last season we only had two CB's who missed big parts of the season instead of three?

I haven't looked at other clubs but I imagine injuries were less across the board in a season that was stretched over a year? Wasn't Kane injured before play was halted and then fit when play resumed? 

I couldn't be sure to tell you the truth. No disrespect to you, and I've given up saying on here because quite frankly, no one cares, but we've lost so many players defensively to injuries, by and large we've played with a RB at centre back, a LM at LB and a DM at CB. And people moan about the goals we concede. Every team has their issues mate.

We had a ridiculous amount of injuries in Bielsa's first season that ultimately contributed to us not going up. Never known anything like it, we just got unlucky.

It happens. You get season's where it rains, it pours and it's hard to not feel hard done by, but you have to get on with it. It's all about character.

Just seems like you've been hit by a tsunami of bad injuries all at once and found it hard to remove the tail from between your legs.

I totally sympathise, I'm not a Liverpool hater in the slightest, don't take a single jot of joy from it, but there get's to a point where you need to let it go and ask yourself, is that the only reason standards have dropped? We could probably both agree that's not. 

And ultimately I think that's why your typical neutral fan can only hear so much about it.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Who are you even talking to @RandoEFC?

I don't even know to be honest but someone said Liverpool avoided injuries last season, someone then denied it, Lucas then proved it, and someone else then quoted him again splitting hairs over it.

I probably didn't read half of it because it honestly just blurs into one mega blob of tedium now so feel free to disregard my wailings. 

13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I’d trade Lovren for everyone we’ve signed this season except Jota in a heartbeat.

Was Lovren just seen as a liability then? Is that why he wasnt offered a new contract? 

Or did he want to leave?

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I couldn't be sure to tell you the truth. No disrespect to you, and I've given up saying on here because quite frankly, no one cares, but we've lost so many players defensively to injuries, by and large we've played with a RB at centre back, a LM at LB and a DM at CB. And people moan about the goals we concede. Every team has their issues mate.

We had a ridiculous amount of injuries in Bielsa's first season that ultimately contributed to us not going up. Never known anything like it, we just got unlucky.

It happens. You get season's where it rains, it pours and it's hard to not feel hard done by, but you have to get on with it. It's all about character.

Just seems like you've been hit by a tsunami of bad injuries all at once and found it hard to remove the tail from between your legs.

I totally sympathise, I'm not a Liverpool hater in the slightest, don't take a single jot of joy from it, but there get's to a point where you need to let it go and ask yourself, is that the only reason standards have dropped? We could probably both agree that's not. 

And ultimately I think that's why your typical neutral fan can only hear so much about it.

I've tried this mate. Liverpool still had injuries. That's all that matters. 

Instead of going on about injuries why don’t we look the facts straight in the face.

Mane, Firmino, Thiago, Robertson, Alisson, Trent, Gini have all been way way below par. Not a single one of them have taken games by the scruff of the neck. None of those have really raised their levels through all of this injury crisis. I’m disappointed that the heads of the whole squad has dropped all together.

After every loss, they are on social media saying shite like “we go again” & “this is where we have to stand up and be counted” nothing but empty words right now. Yes, our injuries are shit, really shit. But Leicester have had terrible injuries and they haven’t had a massive drop off at any point like we have. Stop using it as an excuse and just pull your fucking socks up and grind out some results.

Telling me the the players we put out against West Brom, Burnley, Brighton & Southampton weren’t better than the players all of those lot had available?
This run form is a fucking joke & everybody at the club is hiding behind injuries rather than just admitting we have bottled it. Shameful defence of the title, and nobody can argue with that. 

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

Was Lovren just seen as a liability then? Is that why he wasnt offered a new contract? 

Or did he want to leave?

He wanted to play more regularly and we wanted to trim wages.

I think if the club had known all of our CBs would be out for the season in mid-January, I’m sure they’d have had a different approach.

It’s easy to forget too, but Lovren also had injury (and illness) issues of his own. I don’t think he ever started more than 6 or 7 games for us in a row.

Lovren got a lot of stick because he was a bit wonky sometimes... but he was a better defender than most in our league tbh. And he’s a legend for us by playing a big part in our recent very good sides. He’s certainly miles better than Phillips, Rhys Williams (who’s just a kid, so it feels bad saying this, but holy shit I’ve never seen a Liverpool defender that shite ever. I don’t know why we haven’t sold him), Kabak & Davies.

I also don’t really rate Fabinho at CB anymore. He looks good playing there next to Matip and Gomez, but as our “senior CB” he’s actually a pretty shit CB. Playing Henderson there is a waste that just hurts both the defense and the midfield.

So yeah I’d have taken Lovren back in a heartbeat.

I do think we should look into buying Matip some nice prosthetics next season. Because if he could stay healthy for a span of time that would be great. Would they let him play with prosthetics though?

2 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

How dare you fuckers turn on my beloved Thiago. Hes welcome back here anytime.

He’s genuinely been awful. I’m so glad you did not take Gini from us this summer because feeling like we’d swapped Gini for this would have hurt too much.

If we’ve kept the receipt can we get a full refund?

I think it’s gotten to the point where you might as well just go with Kabak and Davies. 

A decent Bundesliga defender and a good Championship defender, who are at least natural CBs, with Henderson and Fabinho in front is probably a lot better than those two in defence with Wijnaldum and Thiago in front.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He’s genuinely been awful. I’m so glad you did not take Gini from us this summer because feeling like we’d swapped Gini for this would have hurt too much.

If we’ve kept the receipt can we get a full refund?

From what Ive read hes not being used properly, combined with your injuries combined with starting out with Covid and getting injured himself... jump in here if im out to lunch? but thats going to take some adjustment and time. Also pair him with Fabinho and Hendo and get back to me and have a backline and Id bet youll see different result. Id take Thiago 14000x over Gini for what thats worth. 

3 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

From what Ive read hes not being used properly, combined with your injuries combined with starting out with Covid and getting injured himself... jump in here if im out to lunch? but thats going to take some adjustment and time. Also pair him with Fabinho and Hendo and get back to me and have a backline and Id bet youll see different result. Id take Thiago 14000x over Gini for what thats worth. 

He misplaced like 20 passes last night. This is an individualistic issue vs system. 

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Cicero said:

He misplaced like 20 passes last night. This is an individualistic issue vs system. 

Less then ideal xD

Well theres only one explanation then. You lot have ruined him. Taken a Diamond and handled it with a hammer :ph34r:

17 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I think it’s gotten to the point where you might as well just go with Kabak and Davies. 

A decent Bundesliga defender and a good Championship defender, who are at least natural CBs, with Henderson and Fabinho in front is probably a lot better than those two in defence with Wijnaldum and Thiago in front.

That is why I was advocating Kabak and Phillips yesterday, not because either are great shakes right now just so Fab could go back to doing his real job and the team could get back to some kind of semblance to a normal setup.

1 hour ago, Viva la FCB said:

I mean he probably would play better alongside our best midfielders. And in a healthy team that’s in form.

But I am seriously disappointed in his ability to impact a game. We’ve been in crisis mode for what seems like all season long and it’s only gotten worse. This is a time for senior players to stand up and be counted.

Tbf, none of them have really stood up and be counted other than Salah and Jones, imo. And Jones isn’t what I’d call senior - and isn’t really consistent imo.

Gini’s been a bit shit this season, tbh. And even so, he’s probably still been our best midfielder that isn’t named Jordan Henderson this season. Jones is maybe close, but Gini started the season very well.

I’m just frustrated that this seemingly world class player can’t do anything useful for us when we really need someone with class to... do something...

2 hours ago, Storts said:

Lucas has done it for me but not really - you’d largely avoided major injuries to all your key players for a couple of years. They had played the vast majority of games. They were ridden to a CL and a league title. For me no surprise many of them have broken down this year - although that front three continues to avoid the injury bug- although they just look burnt out.

I mean two key players missed a quarter of the league games at key moments. Liverpool had their fair share of injuries last season and the season before. This 'Liverpool were lucky with injuries' was used last season to try and undermine what Liverpool were doing at the time so I won't have that

Was not expecting anything from this to be honest but we were solid throughout so deserved the win in the end...

Liverpool looking like a spent force, They are just going to have to re-group for next season and try again.. Thought bringing Salah off was a strange decision, of all your players he was looking the most lively and with him on the pitch there would always be a chance to score.. Also thought the handball decision was strange, again consistency ruining it... In one game a player with his arm down by his side gets a handball call and Kante with his arm in the air gets waved away... not that I am unhappy about that but this is what we were talking about the other day, one ref calls it one way and another ref calls it another.. good fortune on our side for that no doubt about it.. 

Unless Liverpool have a serious turnaround soon they are going to struggle for a top 4 finish.. 

Archived