The better place to talk football.

Harry Kane - Striker Says He's Staying at Spurs

football forum

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
Just now, Happy Blue said:

Can you see Levy letting him go? ..i think what we would offer would be between 100-120m with add on's ..Grealish will be 70million upfront with add on's so we don't have a lot of wiggle room this summer money wise

Yes but only for a huge fee. 120 won’t be enough. 150 minimum. He knows what it means to sell a player like Kane. He has to be able to justify it and with three years on his deal he holds all the cards

These antics absolutely won’t help Kane either, Levy is a stubborn little man, doesn’t like to be shown up 

13 minutes ago, Storts said:

Yes but only for a huge fee. 120 won’t be enough. 150 minimum. He knows what it means to sell a player like Kane. He has to be able to justify it and with three years on his deal he holds all the cards

These antics absolutely won’t help Kane either, Levy is a stubborn little man, doesn’t like to be shown up 

How do Spurs fans feel about now? ..i guess they will get over it if he ends up staying

16 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

How do Spurs fans feel about now? ..i guess they will get over it if he ends up staying

We're talking about a player who has embodied this era of Spurs. 

This is probably a dagger to the heart. 

• Subscriber
33 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

I think today a lot of them have turned on Kane a bit. Nobody expected him to behave like this. I think many understand why he wanted to leave, but not in the manner he is doing so. 

Grass isn’t always greener for Harry. Any trophy he wins at City is hollow in comparison to something he could win at Spurs. Nobody will ever love him or support him like he gets here. But it’s his career - shouldn’t have signed a 6 year deal if he was going to want to leave half way through it though 

6 minutes ago, Storts said:

I think today a lot of them have turned on Kane a bit. Nobody expected him to behave like this. I think many understand why he wanted to leave, but not in the manner he is doing so. 

It surprised me as well tbh, boyhood club, England captain ..you wouldn't of expected that from him

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Is this Kane being awkward or might there be another legit reason he has missed training?? We all know what media reports can be like

If there was another reason the club would have come out and said so, instead they’ve been silent 

18 minutes ago, Storts said:

If there was another reason the club would have come out and said so, instead they’ve been silent 

Well if true he wouldn't be the first Spurs player to have pulled that trick to get out... 

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Well if true he wouldn't be the first Spurs player to have pulled that trick to get out... 

This one more Modric than Bale though… if he wanted to go abroad we’d all be fine with it 

1 minute ago, Storts said:

This one more Modric than Bale though… if he wanted to go abroad we’d all be fine with it 

Probably... Strengthening a rival in the same league while weakening yourself never sat well with any owner really.. It's understandable that Levy wants as much for the inconvenience as he can get... A lot of talk going on about this 'Gentleman's agreement' as well, so either it never existed or Levy is not a man you can count on to keep his word... All up to City now and how high they are prepared to go to get their man.. 

With nothing coming from Kane himself it makes you wonder if City are the only club in the running for him.. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Happy Blue said:

It surprised me as well tbh, boyhood club, England captain ..you wouldn't of expected that from him

NINTCHDBPICT000574316726.jpg

Had no idea Spurs had a red kit circa mid 00s :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Is this Kane being awkward or might there be another legit reason he has missed training?? We all know what media reports can be like

I imagine if it was legit, he'd have run it by the club first and they'd be fine with it... rather than now reports that he'll be fined for failing to turn up to training.

On the one hand, I'm not surprised he's taken this course... he wants his move and by signing such a long contract with Spurs the only way he'll get the move he wants is if he can force a move by being unprofessional at Spurs to let them know he's more valuable as a sold player than as an unhappy player.

On the other hand, I think it's really offputting when a player does this so shortly after signing a long deal at a club. When you sign a long term contract like that and with big wages like that, you're giving the club a lot of power over your future as a player. I think it was Mourinho who said "players are paid to train, not play" (which I don't necessarily agree with, because their job title is "football player" and "playing" is a big part of that)... but I understand his point, I think. At a very minimum you expect players to turn up to training and put in a decent shift at training. So I think seeing a player fail to turn up for training is just... very unprofessional.

But we've seen it before, with experienced agents and the superagents that are professionals at moving their clients around when they want moves (and sometimes when they don't) - encouraging players to act unprofessionally is a tactic that has often been used to get players their way.

But with Spurs, I think Levy can be quite vindictive... not with the player, but with the buying club. So I'm sure he'll be looking at extracting as much wealth out of Abu Dhabi as possible - and I wouldn't put it past him to make allegations of tapping up to make things a bit more difficult to get over the line without making City pay more.

26 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I imagine if it was legit, he'd have run it by the club first and they'd be fine with it... rather than now reports that he'll be fined for failing to turn up to training.

On the one hand, I'm not surprised he's taken this course... he wants his move and by signing such a long contract with Spurs the only way he'll get the move he wants is if he can force a move by being unprofessional at Spurs to let them know he's more valuable as a sold player than as an unhappy player.

On the other hand, I think it's really offputting when a player does this so shortly after signing a long deal at a club. When you sign a long term contract like that and with big wages like that, you're giving the club a lot of power over your future as a player. I think it was Mourinho who said "players are paid to train, not play" (which I don't necessarily agree with, because their job title is "football player" and "playing" is a big part of that)... but I understand his point, I think. At a very minimum you expect players to turn up to training and put in a decent shift at training. So I think seeing a player fail to turn up for training is just... very unprofessional.

But we've seen it before, with experienced agents and the superagents that are professionals at moving their clients around when they want moves (and sometimes when they don't) - encouraging players to act unprofessionally is a tactic that has often been used to get players their way.

But with Spurs, I think Levy can be quite vindictive... not with the player, but with the buying club. So I'm sure he'll be looking at extracting as much wealth out of Abu Dhabi as possible - and I wouldn't put it past him to make allegations of tapping up to make things a bit more difficult to get over the line without making City pay more.

I understand him wanting to move, I said before that despite his loyalty to Spurs over the years if he wants to end his career with trophies he needs to move sooner rather than later and there are ways of going about it, For Kane to do this he must feel he really has no choice which makes me think Levy is indeed just being vindictive in trying to squeeze every ounce of blood from any deal and although I can understand that to a degree I also think that he needs to consider the many years of loyal service Kane has given to the club through thick and thin... 

If there was a gentleman's agreement in place then Levy should honour that agreement and let Kane move on without asking for so much money it makes a move anywhere nearly impossible.. If the asking price was so high it didn't allow for a move I don't think Kane would be a very happy bunny, having said that of course he did tie himself into a long term deal and you would expect him to honour that as well unless all parties are happy with any changes so until then it should be business as usual.. All depends what's been said or agreed in the past which we will never know... 

If the shoe was on the other foot and Spurs told him they were flogging him to Brentford half way through his contract because they were the only club willing to fork 150+MILL and they wanted to cash in while they could I don't think Kane would be up for that so it's swings and roundabouts really... If City just stumped up the money then this would all be over already, both parties would be happy 

16 hours ago, Devil said:

I'm not surprised in the slightest, Levy won't let him go so he obviously feels this is enough a statement to force the issue.

Spurs need to cash in and rebuild, we had it with Ronaldo. I'm certain Sir Alex would have loved to made a stand and refuse to sell him to Madrid but there comes a point where human aspect comes into play.

Ronaldo had his dream club, Kane wants to win trophies, Levy should set the bar and say hit that figure and he's your man but we want a minimum of 100 million up front and structured payments on the rest.

The next stage is the investment stage, don't blow it like you did the Bale money.

The "blew the bale money" has always been an exaggeration. Erikson was excellent for them and Lamela came good too. 

14 hours ago, Storts said:

Grass isn’t always greener for Harry. Any trophy he wins at City is hollow in comparison to something he could win at Spurs. Nobody will ever love him or support him like he gets here. But it’s his career - shouldn’t have signed a 6 year deal if he was going to want to leave half way through it though 

The grass is so much greener in this case. Sure, trophies are a dime a dozen right now at city, but Kane knows he can play for city for 3-4 seasons, will almost certainly win the league at least once, possible multiple times, has a good chance to be the hero who delivers them the CL, and will mop up the odd FA and noonecares cup here and there. 

Compared to almost certainly winning absolutely nothing at spurs, and if by chance he does win silverware there, it's the Europa league or noonecares cup. 

Silverware doesn't just go on a clubs wrap sheet, it goes on a players. I'll never fault Pizarro for going back to Bayern as an aged man to play back up striker to Lewa for a couple of seasons because he knew what he wanted, his pension topped up and a list of accolades next to his name that we all knew he deserved, but he would never get at Bremen. 

38 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

The "blew the bale money" has always been an exaggeration. Erikson was excellent for them and Lamela came good too. 

Erikson I give you yeah, Lamela, not having him to be fair. 

Scored the odd Rabona but not for me I'm afraid. 

Clearly if Kane goes to City he will win the silverware that his career deserves, but he has pushed himself into a corner here. Signing a 6 year contract is mental, he's only got himself to blame now and because of that he's alienating himself from the fans.

• Subscriber
42 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

The grass is so much greener in this case. Sure, trophies are a dime a dozen right now at city, but Kane knows he can play for city for 3-4 seasons, will almost certainly win the league at least once, possible multiple times, has a good chance to be the hero who delivers them the CL, and will mop up the odd FA and noonecares cup here and there. 

Compared to almost certainly winning absolutely nothing at spurs, and if by chance he does win silverware there, it's the Europa league or noonecares cup. 

Silverware doesn't just go on a clubs wrap sheet, it goes on a players. I'll never fault Pizarro for going back to Bayern as an aged man to play back up striker to Lewa for a couple of seasons because he knew what he wanted, his pension topped up and a list of accolades next to his name that we all knew he deserved, but he would never get at Bremen. 

Of course - that’s all true. But that’s not my point. He doesn’t become a ‘hero’ - he’s just another player oil money city have bought in because they can afford to. It won’t add much to his legacy. He won’t be remembered for that, just like Laporte, Silva whoever, good players but that’s just it. Just part of a club that is the next one to continue destroying football as we know it, where clubs cannot even keep their club icons. I can’t particularly articulate right now, it makes you want to give up on football tbh.

11 minutes ago, Danny said:

Clearly if Kane goes to City he will win the silverware that his career deserves, but he has pushed himself into a corner here. Signing a 6 year contract is mental, he's only got himself to blame now and because of that he's alienating himself from the fans.

If Kane goes City you have to say they would destroy the league. The goals he would score from the service he'd be getting would be incredible. 

I noticed someone saying they'd be hollow trophies earlier in the thread, I get fans look at City's success and think it's hollow due to the owners money but the medals are the same no matter what for the players. They'd win the Champions league with Kane, I have no doubt about that. 

3 minutes ago, Storts said:

Of course - that’s all true. But that’s not my point. He doesn’t become a ‘hero’ - he’s just another player oil money city have bought in because they can afford to. It won’t add much to his legacy. He won’t be remembered for that, just like Laporte, Silva whoever, good players but that’s just it. Just part of a club that is the next one to continue destroying football as we know it, where clubs cannot even keep their club icons. I can’t particularly articulate right now, it makes you want to give up on football tbh.

Couldn't have put it better myself. 

If this continues for the 20 years or more I don't see a bright future for football. City could make it a closed shop for the Premier league. 

Nobody can compete financially without bankrupting themselves. How does that make competition fair?

I think it's a bit too short term to say that Spurs blew the Bale money, if you look at the bigger picture Bale left and then Spurs stepped up a gear as a club securing regular CL football and moved into a new state of the art stadium. Football moves on from big players.

Look at the players Spurs signed when Bale left that didn't make it, Soldado (27m), Paulinho (17m), Capoue (9m), Chiriches (8m). That's £61m worth of players, and when they sold them on they did so at a loss, but they recouped £40m which then went into Heung Min Son and Toby Alderwiereld. Lamela was expected to be a lot better than he was, but he ended up a decent squad player. Christian Eriksen say no more. Nacer Chadli was brought in on the Bale money and eventually sold for about £13m, the same cos roughly what Spurs paid the same Summer for Victor Wanyama who was another decent squad player.

If Kane leaves this Summer for say £150m, and Spurs then bring in £150m worth of players, they will be young players with resale value. The cash investment will be gone, but the value of the players will still be there and that £150m will continue to redistribute itself once Spurs decide to move on a player that isn't doing what they expected him too. The money doesn't just disappear, Spurs selling Kane means they will have at least £100m to play around with if they choose for the next few years as long as they sign young players who can be sold again if need be.

• The title was changed to Harry Kane - Striker Says He's Staying at Spurs

Archived