talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harry Kane - Striker Says He's Staying at Spurs

football forum

• Administrator

Kane loves a goal against us so I think he should be made to sit out Sunday for this sheer disrespect against his employers, bringing the club in to disrepute :ph34r:

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they do keep hold of him and then a season passes and he’s got just 2 years left on his deal, they could be left wondering about the potential for him to leave as a free agent eventually?.. the 200k pw isn’t a bad figure to rest on. At 30 years old he’s surely going to remain as one of the best strikers around still and they’d be left to rue the lost mega fees being spoke about now.

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, DNA said:

If they do keep hold of him and then a season passes and he’s got just 2 years left on his deal, they could be left wondering about the potential for him to leave as a free agent eventually?.. the 200k pw isn’t a bad figure to rest on. At 30 years old he’s surely going to remain as one of the best strikers around still and they’d be left to rue the lost mega fees being spoke about now.

I actually don’t think it makes much financial sense. The champions league is such a cash cow. Kane helping us to qualify for it again would more than make up for any lost income from his sale. I’d rather keep him for 3 years and let him leave on a free if necessary. Personally think that makes more sense for the club too 

6 hours ago, Coma said:

There was a great article on the Athletic by Oliver Kay about player loyalty.  It gave the examples of Gerrard, Shearer, Totti, and Torres.  Gerrard opted to stay in Liverpool and won plenty of trophies... just not the title.  He had the chance to join Chelsea and likely would have won the title but opted not to.  Shearer went back to Newcastle instead of Man Utd and it likely cost him trophies.  He thought that it was more important to be a legend at the club you love than to win trophies.  Totti obviously turned down Real Madrid to stay at Roma and won very little there, but wouldn't change a thing.  Torres won everything but regretted leaving both Atletico and Liverpool to chase trophies in the whole "romance is dead" deal.  

Kane's position is similar to those in some ways, but different in a sense that he's won absolutely nothing.  Even Shearer won the Prem once and Totti won Serie A and the Coppa once.  For me personally, being a club legend would mean so much more than trophies but each player has a different motivation.  

I watched an interview with Torres and he said the complete opposite.

4 hours ago, Storts said:

Oh stings a little sure, timing is terrible, and not happy with how he and his brother have gone about things, this interview wasn’t sanctioned - and it’s definitely him playing one of the cards he has. I dont think it will escalate much more publicly from him though, and his brother is a big Spurs fan too. We shall see. Basically just putting ball in levy’s court, it’s Calculated, but not sure it changes much. However does his media training deserves praise though, he nails the want to leave but not slag off the club or fans tone 

What does that matter?

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I watched an interview with Torres and he said the complete opposite.

Upon joining Chelsea in a £50 million British record transfer in January 2011, Torres announced that “romance is dead” — that football is a business with little room for sentiment, so it had been time to be selfish in pursuit of his ambition. “When you have a chance of playing for a team in the Champions League, with a chance to win it, and are the right age to do that and compete with the best, you have to do that,” he said.

Torres did, indeed, win the Champions League with Chelsea the following season. He won the FA Cup, too. And there was a second European Championship success with Spain to add to the World Cup he had won two years earlier. But it was the unhappiest period of his career. As he looked back on his career last year in the documentary El Nino: The Last Symbol, referencing those trophy successes that proved so bittersweet, he questioned whether it had been “worth it to sacrifice everything for a single moment”.

“When we start playing football, we are always thinking about trophies, which look like the most important thing,” Torres said in an interview with The Independent. “You want to be a star, you want to win everything, you obsess about becoming one of the best in the world. But when you finish your career and football is gone, what you have is your memories, your special feelings. Remembering how many friendships you made, the relationships built over all the years, the sharing of the joy of goals, the love you felt from the fans. These are the most important things, not trophies.”

4 minutes ago, Coma said:

Upon joining Chelsea in a £50 million British record transfer in January 2011, Torres announced that “romance is dead” — that football is a business with little room for sentiment, so it had been time to be selfish in pursuit of his ambition. “When you have a chance of playing for a team in the Champions League, with a chance to win it, and are the right age to do that and compete with the best, you have to do that,” he said.

Torres did, indeed, win the Champions League with Chelsea the following season. He won the FA Cup, too. And there was a second European Championship success with Spain to add to the World Cup he had won two years earlier. But it was the unhappiest period of his career. As he looked back on his career last year in the documentary El Nino: The Last Symbol, referencing those trophy successes that proved so bittersweet, he questioned whether it had been “worth it to sacrifice everything for a single moment”.

“When we start playing football, we are always thinking about trophies, which look like the most important thing,” Torres said in an interview with The Independent. “You want to be a star, you want to win everything, you obsess about becoming one of the best in the world. But when you finish your career and football is gone, what you have is your memories, your special feelings. Remembering how many friendships you made, the relationships built over all the years, the sharing of the joy of goals, the love you felt from the fans. These are the most important things, not trophies.”

but he said nothing about regret

59 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I think Kane is going Manchester City personally, his Aunties boyfriend lives round there so makes sense.

my mum's dentist's friend's cousin is daniel levy and levy hates kane, thinks he is a potato prick

He should stay, it would be hypocritical of me to want him to leave Spurs after the whole Gerrard saga in 2005-06. He will win something eventually and break that goalscoring record.  Spurs is in his blood, do the right thing and stay.

20 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Didn't Gerrard stay at Liverpool because he was threatened?

Probably not, but that is the rumour; and it winds up Liverpool fans for no reason so it's funny. I'd wager he stayed because he got a fat pay rise and just won the CL, probably thought he could win the league at Liverpool, almost did twice, and by the time that was all done he was too old to fuck off to another English team (what would be the point anyway that late in his career?) so instead fucked off to the USA. Gerrard staying at Liverpool isn't some mystery, he got paid well, won a lot of trophies, played in Europe, captained England, just because he missed the league win doesn't mean he doesn't have a long list of honours. Let's not pretend he was scrapping around in a relegation team earning nickels in comparison, he won nine trophies at Liverpool and earned millions. Harry Kane on the other hand doesn't have any of that except captaining England going for him.

I'd say the biggest regret for Gerrard should be playing the USA for no reason.

You know what I'm sick of the 'why did Gerrard stay at Liverpool debate' I'm gonna solve it for all right now.

Liverpool was the smartest choice he could have made. It was the most logical choice. Outside of foreign clubs let's break down why Liverpool is the #1 choice. Let's rewind back to the mid 00s.

Chelsea
Why would he join Chelsea? They just won back to back leagues and are a hot team coached by the hottest manager in the world. A payrise would come, but think of it like this. Chelsea's squad is not stable they sell and buy players like toys, there is no guarantee that Gerrard won't be benched or sold off in two years, and there is no guarantee that Chelsea can keep winning, we have hindsight now but in the mid 00s, there is only uncertainty to come. What is stopping Man Utd from putting Chelsea back in their place like they did with Arsenal? Gerrard would be lower in the hierarchy and have little influence, he would be second to Lampard and Terry, and would be forgoing all the captain's duties and other responsibilities like corners, penalties, and free kicks. Why should Lampard share those responsibilities he earned them, and why should Gerrard be fine with giving them up? I'd say no, he'd be losing more than he'd be gaining by joining Chelsea. It appears to be the best decision from a short term view but trophies can never be guaranteed.

Arsenal
All the legends are leaving, the spine that showed up big in the 90s and early 00s is withering, they are all on the wrong side of 30. They have young players coming through like Cesc Fabregas and Robin van Persie, but they also show they aren't willing to pay top players a top salary, they let Ashley Cole go for nothing, one of the best LBs in the world and one of the best in English history. The writing is on the wall, and soon even Thierry Henry will be leaving. So they won't pay up, the squad is declining, and they are in a 'rebuild' mode. Never in a million years.

Man United
Nope.

Man City
Completely irrelevant.

Tottenham
Haha.

Liverpool
Liverpool paid up big, they want him, they need him. They aren't the worst team but there is room for improvement, but Liverpool have Gerrard, the main man, they guy that the team is built around and he is paid to do so. There is no other logical choice, he is the top dog, he is the main they look to when the chips are down, he is from here and the fans love him for it. Liverpool could win trophies, they could just grab that title without a bit of luck, they've proven they can do it in the past, they just need things to go right for them. They get elite players like Kewell and Alonso but his injuries let them down, they just need that one break, that one season to go right. Everything revolves around Gerrard, so why would he want to leave? There is nothing the other clubs offer that is above and beyond what Liverpool offer, it's the most logical decision. There is no great mystery here, just think about it logically, Liverpool offer everything that Gerrard could want, so why would he leave for another club? There was only ever one choice and it was staying at Liverpool. The same isn't true for Kane :ph34r:

Now if they didn't pony up the cash for his new contract, I'm can see him leaving like Ashley Cole but that is neither here nor there because it didn't happen.

@UNORTHODOX @Dr. Gonzo @LFCMike @LFCMadLad @Harry tell me I am wrong fellas

1 minute ago, Storts said:

His brother is his agent. As in he’s unlikely to publicly say too much negatively about the club. 

That makes a lot more sense, thanks for clarifying that. It just seemed like you were saying 'his brother is a fan!'xD

• Subscriber
Just now, Spike said:

That makes a lot more sense, thanks for clarifying that. It just seemed like you were saying 'his brother is a fan!'xD

Oh hahah I see why it looked odd now. 

The only realistic club he could have moved to in England would have been Chelsea. And they would have been fucking terrifying with him. But other than the money and the titles, the real draw would be he could pop around to Terry's mum's house to hang out with Carragher's brother. So there's some obvious draws to a potential move to Liverpool.

But at the end of the day, he got the big payday he wanted and would have had at Chelsea at his club where he was always going to be the main man. I think the only regret in his career was not winning the title and I think there are actually a lot of really good players out there that never win "the big one" in their league or the CL... so it's not that much of a slight against his career that he didn't win one. His legacy is also far greater as a Liverpool legend than it would have been had he left his boyhood club.

Arsenal were busy paying for a new stadium and gradually getting more and more shit. City were poor and wank back then, United are the enemy so there's no way that would have happened, and taking a move to Spurs back then would have been fucking stupid xD

Spurs aren't a million miles away from being good and they aren't incapable of going on a cup run and winning something like Gerrard did - so I see parallels in that situation. And his legacy will always be greater, imo, if he doesn't leave Spurs and does win something big with Spurs.

But I also think you're right - Gerrard didn't have the same number of quality options that Kane will have if he gets a move away. Chelsea (although I don't think Levy would ever sell to Chelsea), United and City all want him and would all give him a pretty significant chance of winning something in the last years of his career.

I do think Gerrard was pursued by Real Madrid as well and I could see that also being a decent move for Kane... and one where he's less likely to offend any of the Spurs fans, because he won't be competing with them. But I think he wants to stay in England to chase the record.

If he's moving to a club in England, I think the choice is easy... you pick Man City. 1.) They pay the best, 2.) I think it's reasonable to expect City to win SOMETHING every season, they should realistically be starting every season looking to win every competition they're in imo... so he's got a good chance of silverware, 3.) nobody really likes Man City... but also nobody really cares about them - Spurs fans won't feel as betrayed if he moves to another English club, imo, they'll just think Kane's a mercenary.

That's why I suspect if City are genuinely interested and can pay Levy enough - they'll probably end up getting him.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

You're losing him. This year or next. Make peace with it lad. 

Wouldnt count on it. People have been saying this every summer for 5 years. 

Next year less confident about but this year won’t sell 

10 hours ago, Spike said:

You know what I'm sick of the 'why did Gerrard stay at Liverpool debate' I'm gonna solve it for all right now.

Liverpool was the smartest choice he could have made. It was the most logical choice. Outside of foreign clubs let's break down why Liverpool is the #1 choice. Let's rewind back to the mid 00s.

Chelsea
Why would he join Chelsea? They just won back to back leagues and are a hot team coached by the hottest manager in the world. A payrise would come, but think of it like this. Chelsea's squad is not stable they sell and buy players like toys, there is no guarantee that Gerrard won't be benched or sold off in two years, and there is no guarantee that Chelsea can keep winning, we have hindsight now but in the mid 00s, there is only uncertainty to come. What is stopping Man Utd from putting Chelsea back in their place like they did with Arsenal? Gerrard would be lower in the hierarchy and have little influence, he would be second to Lampard and Terry, and would be forgoing all the captain's duties and other responsibilities like corners, penalties, and free kicks. Why should Lampard share those responsibilities he earned them, and why should Gerrard be fine with giving them up? I'd say no, he'd be losing more than he'd be gaining by joining Chelsea. It appears to be the best decision from a short term view but trophies can never be guaranteed.

Arsenal
All the legends are leaving, the spine that showed up big in the 90s and early 00s is withering, they are all on the wrong side of 30. They have young players coming through like Cesc Fabregas and Robin van Persie, but they also show they aren't willing to pay top players a top salary, they let Ashley Cole go for nothing, one of the best LBs in the world and one of the best in English history. The writing is on the wall, and soon even Thierry Henry will be leaving. So they won't pay up, the squad is declining, and they are in a 'rebuild' mode. Never in a million years.

Man United
Nope.

Man City
Completely irrelevant.

Tottenham
Haha.

Liverpool
Liverpool paid up big, they want him, they need him. They aren't the worst team but there is room for improvement, but Liverpool have Gerrard, the main man, they guy that the team is built around and he is paid to do so. There is no other logical choice, he is the top dog, he is the main they look to when the chips are down, he is from here and the fans love him for it. Liverpool could win trophies, they could just grab that title without a bit of luck, they've proven they can do it in the past, they just need things to go right for them. They get elite players like Kewell and Alonso but his injuries let them down, they just need that one break, that one season to go right. Everything revolves around Gerrard, so why would he want to leave? There is nothing the other clubs offer that is above and beyond what Liverpool offer, it's the most logical decision. There is no great mystery here, just think about it logically, Liverpool offer everything that Gerrard could want, so why would he leave for another club? There was only ever one choice and it was staying at Liverpool. The same isn't true for Kane :ph34r:

Now if they didn't pony up the cash for his new contract, I'm can see him leaving like Ashley Cole but that is neither here nor there because it didn't happen.

@UNORTHODOX @Dr. Gonzo @LFCMike @LFCMadLad @Harry tell me I am wrong fellas

I think at the end of the day what matters is he stayed, and I hope Kane will too... Big players have moved clubs before, and there is always upside and downside, and risk and uncertainty, and the ability to make the kind of case you've made here.

Some of these players do move, and some don't. 

The ones I remember and respect the most are usually those that stick with the club's they feel most closely associated with.

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, 6666 said:

But Kane's saying it now as well.

Well, almost. Being pretty careful with his words.

To be fair Levy holds all the cards still. 

• The title was changed to Harry Kane - Striker Says He's Staying at Spurs

Archived