talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Saul Niguez Moves to Chelsea on Loan

Do people not realise we are incredible thin at CM? Saul is undoubtedly needed. What a bizarre suggestion. 

City - KDB, Grealish, Foden, Fernandinho, Gundogan, Rodri

Liverpool - Henderson, Thiago, Fabinho, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Keita, 

Chelsea - Kovacic, Kante, Jorginho

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Do people not realise we are incredible thin at CM? Saul is undoubtedly needed. What a bizarre suggestion. 

Take no notice of those Liverpool nay sayers mate.. they don't like we are adding more muscle to our frame as they would prefer us to be weedy and easy to beat... 

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Look at the drop off from our starting CM pairing to having to go with Thiago, Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain... it's not really comparable at all to a midfield of Henderson, Fabinho, Milner/Elliot. Elliot's only a kid and imo he's shown that he'd offer more to this squad than the other 3 (which is probably why he's found himself in the side starting against Chelsea)...

Chelsea and City are nailed on for being title contenders, imo. So much strength to their squads.

I think we'll be in a fight for 4th, unfortunately, because I think United probably come third. And Spurs and Leicester will be fighting with us for that 4th place spot.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Look at the drop off from our starting CM pairing to having to go with Thiago, Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain... it's not really comparable at all to a midfield of Henderson, Fabinho, Milner/Elliot. Elliot's only a kid and imo he's shown that he'd offer more to this squad than the other 3 (which is probably why he's found himself in the side starting against Chelsea)...

Chelsea and City are nailed on for being title contenders, imo. So much strength to their squads.

I think we'll be in a fight for 4th, unfortunately, because I think United probably come third. And Spurs and Leicester will be fighting with us for that 4th place spot.

I would take Thiago, Keita, and Oxlade-Chamberlain over Ruben Loftus Cheek, Ampadu, and Danny Fucking Drinkwater. 😂

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think you will be there fighting along with everyone else... You had a shit season last season but with all the injuries it was always going to be a tough ask to replicate the season before but the team looks fresh and clearly up for it again this season.. Those opening 45 minutes of our game before James got sent off were end to end and nothing like our games in the past.. 

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

I think listing Foden and Grealish for City as being able to play midfield is being kind to them. They excel in the forward areas. If you list them why not Havertz and Mount for Chelsea?

3 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

I think you will be there fighting along with everyone else... You had a shit season last season but with all the injuries it was always going to be a tough ask to replicate the season before but the team looks fresh and clearly up for it again this season.. Those opening 45 minutes of our game before James got sent off were end to end and nothing like our games in the past.. 

I'm very far from being that optimistic. We've not got much depth and all of our likely competition has made serious moves to strengthen.

Meanwhile we've got our talisman CB back... but he's also off the back of a very bad injury. Our other CBs are all injury prone as fuck and then there's Nat Phillips. We've got fuck all depth if there's an big injury to any of our front 3 + Jota (and Firmino's reportedly out for several weeks now with his hamstring injury) and the dropoff in quality in our midfield can make a serious impact if there's an injury crisis there (or at CB again where we might resort to playing Henderson & Fabinho there and make our midfield significantly more shit). And with our front 3, Mane's been out of form for over a year really and against you lot... he looked to be pretty far from his best like last season. I'm honestly very concerned with the way he's dropped off after getting COVID.

I've not got much faith in injury prone players suddenly not being injury prone. So while we've done well this summer in getting important players to sign extensions (although I think arguably the most important one is Salah and that hasn't been done yet). We've got a good first XI, but I think we've got serious flaws if you look at our squad compared to our competition.

I'm not sure FSG really learned anything from last season...

37 minutes ago, Spike said:

I think listing Foden and Grealish for City as being able to play midfield is being kind to them. They excel in the forward areas. If you list them why not Havertz and Mount for Chelsea?

I would’ve if we played a 433. Interested to see if Tuchel changes formations at all this season. 

I just want to see Lewis Baker play another game for Chelsea. Man's been at Chelsea for 16 years and only played once or twice.

What's going on with Loftus-Cheek and Barkley as well? Gonna join Gilmour, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, and Ampadu out on loan?

8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm very far from being that optimistic. We've not got much depth and all of our likely competition has made serious moves to strengthen.

Meanwhile we've got our talisman CB back... but he's also off the back of a very bad injury. Our other CBs are all injury prone as fuck and then there's Nat Phillips. We've got fuck all depth if there's an big injury to any of our front 3 + Jota (and Firmino's reportedly out for several weeks now with his hamstring injury) and the dropoff in quality in our midfield can make a serious impact if there's an injury crisis there (or at CB again where we might resort to playing Henderson & Fabinho there and make our midfield significantly more shit). And with our front 3, Mane's been out of form for over a year really and against you lot... he looked to be pretty far from his best like last season. I'm honestly very concerned with the way he's dropped off after getting COVID.

I've not got much faith in injury prone players suddenly not being injury prone. So while we've done well this summer in getting important players to sign extensions (although I think arguably the most important one is Salah and that hasn't been done yet). We've got a good first XI, but I think we've got serious flaws if you look at our squad compared to our competition.

I'm not sure FSG really learned anything from last season...

I'm just sick of seeing people make out that only Liverpool have weaknesses to be honest. And this 'if we get an injury in x we're in trouble' only seems to be applied to Liverpool. Because guess what? If the other clubs get a big injury or two in certain positions they'd be fucked too

23 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I'm just sick of seeing people make out that only Liverpool have weaknesses to be honest. And this 'if we get an injury in x we're in trouble' only seems to be applied to Liverpool. Because guess what? If the other clubs get a big injury or two in certain positions they'd be fucked too

Mike, look at our bench compared to those three teams. The attacking options off the bench. City have Torres, Foden, Sterling. Utd have Martial, Rashford, Cavani. Chelsea have Werner, Pulisic, Ziyech. We have Jota, Minamino & Origi. So yes, if any of those teams had an injury they are absolutely better equipped to cope than we are. 

I don’t understand how any Liverpool fan can defend this sort of transfer policy. All our rivals have massively strengthened their first 11’s and squads and we have stood still. We bought a CB that was necessary for the squad after what happened last season but other than that we have been shafted by the owners. You can’t compete with the big boys if you’re going to act frugal to this extent. 

I mean, if we aren’t going to spend decent money there we’re still good squad level players available this window. Gray, Townsend, Lookman & even fucking Rondon are all better than what we have on our bench in those attacking positions. 

1 minute ago, Rick said:

Mike, look at our bench compared to those three teams. The attacking options off the bench. City have Torres, Foden, Sterling. Utd have Martial, Rashford, Cavani. Chelsea have Werner, Pulisic, Ziyech. We have Jota, Minamino & Origi. So yes, if any of those teams had an injury they are absolutely better equipped to cope than we are. 

I don’t understand how any Liverpool fan can defend this sort of transfer policy. All our rivals have massively strengthened their first 11’s and squads and we have stood still. We bought a CB that was necessary for the squad after what happened last season but other than that we have been shafted by the owners. You can’t compete with the big boys if you’re going to act frugal to this extent. 

I mean, if we aren’t going to spend decent money there we’re still good squad level players available this window. Gray, Townsend, Lookman & even fucking Rondon are all better than what we have on our bench in those attacking positions. 

Man City don't have a centre forward or a left back. United have weaknesses in midfield and GK. Chelsea play three CBs so I'd say they're short on quality there if they get an injury or two. I think they'd also be in trouble if we say 'what if Lukaku gets injured' as Liverpool fans are so insistent on saying about Salah.

How do you know Klopp has been shafted by the owners? 

I cannot help you [the media] unfortunately, because obviously you are very interested, and I can sadly not help the supporters who want us to sign a player just to get somebody in and feel then, for the moment, ‘Now we did our business as well, now we should be ready.’ However, if you are really with us and really think about it, you will realise there is no real need. And if the player, the one player who is really the one who could improve all the things we spoke now about we would go for it, I promise. If we would see him. 

That doesn't sound like a man who's been shafted to me.

As for the last paragraph, fuck me. How fucking desperate, just so you can fulfill your transfer obsession on deadline day. You'd rather sign someone like that than give Elliott the minutes there for example.

And you clearly haven't been paying attention to what Liverpool do over the last five years. I'm certain Liverpool have targets lined up for the attacking positions but for whatever reason they're not available this summer so they will wait. It's worked pretty well for them.

2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Man City don't have a centre forward or a left back. United have weaknesses in midfield and GK. Chelsea play three CBs so I'd say they're short on quality there if they get an injury or two. I think they'd also be in trouble if we say 'what if Lukaku gets injured' as Liverpool fans are so insistent on saying about Salah.

I cannot help you [the media] unfortunately, because obviously you are very interested, and I can sadly not help the supporters who want us to sign a player just to get somebody in and feel then, for the moment, ‘Now we did our business as well, now we should be ready.’ However, if you are really with us and really think about it, you will realise there is no real need. And if the player, the one player who is really the one who could improve all the things we spoke now about we would go for it, I promise. If we would see him. 

As for the last paragraph, fuck me. How fucking desperate, just so you can fulfill your transfer obsession on deadline day. You'd rather sign someone like that than give Elliott the minutes there for example.

And you clearly haven't been paying attention to what Liverpool do over the last five years. I'm certain Liverpool have targets lined up for the attacking positions but for whatever reason they're not available this summer so they will wait. It's worked pretty well for them.

Absolutely bang on. 

The 'FSG are evil' brigade is getting pretty tiresome. Look at where we were and look at us now and it stinks of 'ungrateful bastards'.

The usual 2 on here are basically saying that our squad isn't as deep as the oil/state run clubs in our country. Well guess what? We are not an oil/state run club!! 

If that is what you want then fuck off over to Manchester and sit in their empty stadium or watch Chelsea on the telly, maybe a holiday to France now and again to satisfy your needs panting over PSG.

Fucking Rondon, Grey and Townsend? I give up. 

4 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Man City have Zinchenko, Cancelo who can play LB and worst comes to worst they have Ake who can as well. Utd should have signed a CM, there’s no denying it. That being said, they have Van DeBeek (who is a quality player) sitting on the bench not being used in that position for whatever bizarre reason. Chelsea have Christensen, Rudiger, Silva & Azpi & Reece James who has played RCB for them a few times. 

Klopp is not going to slag off the owners in public is he? Not in the bloody media press conferences. Tell me with a straight face he is happy with having no replacements for Gini or Shaqiri. Gini played nearly every game last season and Shaq was available for most games as well. Both gone, nothing brought in. That’s the definition of weakening your squad. 

I’ll look past that bullshit comment about my deadline day obsession, because its clearly not the case. I’m mentioned the likes of Townsend & Rondon as players who ARE BETTER THAN WHAT WE HAVE and who wouldn’t be expensive. Rondon has always been a very handy player in this league, just look how effective he was for Newcastle under Rafa.Tell me he wouldn’t have been handy to bring on against Chelsea at the weekend? I stand of trying to play through a wall of players, having a physical forward in the box to ping some crossed into could have been effective. 

As for your last point, yes it has worked for us well but last season are where the cracks started to appear. CB area was weakened in pre season by not replacing Lovren, ended up having to player Rhys Williams at the back because of that gamble. Mane & Firmino were as much use as a chocolate teapot, and to be honest both of them look like they are on the downward spiral after their peaks. Salah saved our fucking arse last season, and he is the only one of the front three that I would be throwing a big contract at. You’ve said about us having great forwards, but it’s been over 12 months since we have seen anything resembling those levels from Mane and Firmino. At some point you have to think about bringing in a replacement. Jota is a start, but we should have brought in somebody this summer to really push Mane. 

Some genuinely silly talk in here about Andros Townsend and co. The job for a footballer at a club like Liverpool is so multi-dimensional you can't just say "sign him", let alone about players who aren't good enough to play for you. I've compared Liverpool and Man Utd's squads together below, whilst shaping up differently they both play roughly with the same amount of midfielders/forwards so done it in a 4-3-3, but obviously for United view it as a 4-2-3-1.

Liverpool have a better keeper and there really isn't much difference between the #2's other than one is considerably younger. Liverpool seem firmly stocked as do United in terms of back-ups in defence. Then you look at the midfield, United have a lot of DM options but as per their own fans assessments, none good enough to start. Liverpool however have one of the very best in that position and have cover in Henderson and Milner (probably someone else I've not paid attention to, feel free to correct me). Mata, Matic and van de Beek have not offered anything that Chamberlain, Jones, Keita and Milner haven't already. You could make the argument and say one of Fred/McTominay will end up as cover, but still, neither that good that it makes Liverpool's back-up look bad.

Then you move onto the forward line, United with a clear advantage here. Who do I think has the best front 3? Liverpool, even with Ronaldo. Not by much, but as a unit, Liverpool. Who do I think has the best cover? United, easily. Rashford has bagged 20+ goals the last few seasons, Greenwood looks like he could do around 15+. Martial is not an option Liverpool, or United, should be considering. Will Liverpool come a bit unstuck if they suffer a long term injury to their front 3? Potentially yeah. Are Mane and Salah renowned for playing nearly every minute of every game? Yeah. The chances are Liverpool's front 3 will play most games this season and Jota will rotate in and out of that and will probably bag himself 15-20 goals. I would also genuinely rather give Elliott/Chamberlain game time than sign Martial, even though they are more of a midfielder/winger type player.

But overall I'm not seeing a huge difference, if any. United have more money to spend and part of the reason their attack is so strong is because they can afford to sign Ronaldo and Sancho in the same window. Away from that the squad depth isn't much different, and Liverpool are likely to see Elliott, Jones and Williams get game time and potentially see an even bigger rise in their standing. Whereas United only really have Greenwood who will be likely to get regular game-time and have that level of improvement in his game. So you have a potential advantage there. Other than that what you might see is United with more players in certain areas than Liverpool, i.e. midfield. But they don't necessarily have better players, just the ability to stockpile a group of players like Fred, McTominay and Matic, 3 players in roughly the same position.

Liverpool

GK:

Allison, Adrian, Kelleher

DF:

TAA, Williams

VVD, Gomez

Matip, Konate

Robertson, Tsimikas

MF:

Henderson, Jones, Chamberlain, 

Fabinho, Milner,

Thiago, Keita, Minamino,

FW:

Salah, Elloitt

Firminho, Origi

Mane, Jota

Manchester United

GK:

de Gea, Henderson, Grant

DF:

Wan Bissaka, Dalot

Maguire, Bailly, Jones

Varane, Lindelof

Shaw, Telles

MF:

Fred, McTominay, Matic

Fernandes, Mata

Pogba, VdB

FW:

Ronaldo, Greenwood,

Cavani, Martial,

Sancho, Rashford

38 minutes ago, Rick said:

Man City have Zinchenko, Cancelo who can play LB and worst comes to worst they have Ake who can as well. Utd should have signed a CM, there’s no denying it. That being said, they have Van DeBeek (who is a quality player) sitting on the bench not being used in that position for whatever bizarre reason. Chelsea have Christensen, Rudiger, Silva & Azpi & Reece James who has played RCB for them a few times. 

Klopp is not going to slag off the owners in public is he? Not in the bloody media press conferences. Tell me with a straight face he is happy with having no replacements for Gini or Shaqiri. Gini played nearly every game last season and Shaq was available for most games as well. Both gone, nothing brought in. That’s the definition of weakening your squad. 

I’ll look past that bullshit comment about my deadline day obsession, because its clearly not the case. I’m mentioned the likes of Townsend & Rondon as players who ARE BETTER THAN WHAT WE HAVE and who wouldn’t be expensive. Rondon has always been a very handy player in this league, just look how effective he was for Newcastle under Rafa.Tell me he wouldn’t have been handy to bring on against Chelsea at the weekend? I stand of trying to play through a wall of players, having a physical forward in the box to ping some crossed into could have been effective. 

As for your last point, yes it has worked for us well but last season are where the cracks started to appear. CB area was weakened in pre season by not replacing Lovren, ended up having to player Rhys Williams at the back because of that gamble. Mane & Firmino were as much use as a chocolate teapot, and to be honest both of them look like they are on the downward spiral after their peaks. Salah saved our fucking arse last season, and he is the only one of the front three that I would be throwing a big contract at. You’ve said about us having great forwards, but it’s been over 12 months since we have seen anything resembling those levels from Mane and Firmino. At some point you have to think about bringing in a replacement. Jota is a start, but we should have brought in somebody this summer to really push Mane. 

Mane and Firmino as much use as a chocolate teapot in a team that finished 3rd with one of the biggest injury crisis ever known?

Fuck me, you really are coming across as a spoilt fucking tinpot fanboy. Seriously.. start 'following' Chelsea or City if you want new player wank banks because you aren't a real fan. 

12 hours ago, 6666 said:

I just want to see Lewis Baker play another game for Chelsea. Man's been at Chelsea for 16 years and only played once or twice.

What's going on with Loftus-Cheek and Barkley as well? Gonna join Gilmour, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, and Ampadu out on loan?

We're done waiting for Loftus-Cheek mate (and I imagine I speak for most Chelsea fans) looked like he was going to set the world alight under Sarri after coming back on loan from Crystal Palace but got a big injury and it's been downhill ever since. Loftus-Cheek admitted that Sarri was the manager who had the biggest influence and impact on him. Was genuinely not long ago that he was one of our best players, he's spent too long just floating by, should have gone on loan earlier than he did, just have the feeling he's sort of wasted the last 4-5 years. Apart from glimpses he doesn't look the same player, I don't know if it's a physical or mental thing but I think we'd do well to find a suitor. The injury didn't help him.

Barkley is Barkley. I imagine we're just waiting for a club to put in a decent enough bid to get rid of him, probably would be a decent signing for most Premier League clubs bottom half / mid table.

We've signed Saúl but maybe that gap could have been filled by someone like Gilmour or Bakayoko. I think the Gilmour loan move makes sense to ensure he gets enough game time though. You also get the feeling from his press conferences that Tuchel doesn't trust Gilmour yet physically. As for Bakayoko, there's always part of me that thinks he'd be worth another punt but my opinion aside, it looks clear the club, and I imagine Tuchel, wanted a different option.

58 minutes ago, Rick said:

So other side's are making do in their weaker areas or using a player to cover multiple positions like Liverpool are? Glad we agree.

I honestly believe him when he says if the player they really wanted was available at the right price they'd go and get him. Liverpool have eight players to cover three positions in midfield. Why the desperate need for another? We debate how injury prone a couple of those are but it would take another massive freak for Liverpool to be down to the bare bones for a whole season in that position. Shaqiri played 732 minutes in the league in the last two seasons. Hardly someone that needs replacing when you can give his minutes to Elliott or in the cup games someone like Gordon. Some people seem to be assuming that Elliott will only play in midfield this season but I think he'll do a bit of both.

Townsend and Rondon are not better than what we have, don't be ridiculous. Why do Liverpool need Rondon? They have Firmino and Jota to play through the centre. And Salah would play there if you started Elliott on the right. I've said previously that I'd like Liverpool to sign a player for the forward positions but unless this player is of a similar level to Jota who can eventually force himself into the starting eleven, what's the point? Suggesting Townsend and Rondon is pure transfer junkie shit.

You seem to have started to write off Mane and Firmino based on last season. If that's where you're at, that's fine. I'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt given everything that went on last season.

• Administrator

I think Klopp is great, but I don't believe he's really being backed here. Firmino is injured (again) and in general injuries seem to hurt Liverpool exponentially more than their rivals due to the dearth of quality in the squad. 

2 minutes ago, Batard said:

I think Klopp is great, but I don't believe he's really being backed here. Firmino is injured (again) and in general injuries seem to hurt Liverpool exponentially more than their rivals due to the dearth of quality in the squad. 

Firmino injured again? He doesn't really get injured...

Archived