talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Saul Niguez Moves to Chelsea on Loan

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

How stupid from Barcelona though - basically paid a shitload of money to take Griezmann on loan for 2 years. And he's going to the club that won the title based off the star striker they gifted them xD

Two different regimes. This regime is just cutting their losses.

• 1 month later...

Lot of talk that Saul is going to United on loan with option to buy, similar talk about him going to Chelsea as well.

Have to think if he wants to play fairly regularly he will opt to go to United, Chelsea's midfield is pretty stacked and United have Fred , McTominay and Matic that needs replacing.

28 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Lot of talk that Saul is going to United on loan with option to buy, similar talk about him going to Chelsea as well.

Have to think if he wants to play fairly regularly he will opt to go to United, Chelsea's midfield is pretty stacked and United have Fred , McTominay and Matic that needs replacing.

Whilst I agree with that point, it's also hard to turn down a side that are current European Champions and arguably the best challenger to City's title.

33 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Whilst I agree with that point, it's also hard to turn down a side that are current European Champions and arguably the best challenger to City's title.

I agree, like I said if he wants more playing time choose United, if that's not his motivation choose Chelsea.

46 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Why are Atletico letting him leave on loan?

Fallen off a cliff it seems. Not sure if the player also is pushing for a move. The fact Atletico are pushing for obligation vs option indicates the former. 

• The title was changed to Saul Niguez - Looking to Leave Atletico
7 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

He’s staying where he is. 

13 hours ago, Spike said:

WELL WHAT IS IT

He's joining. Atletico tried shifting the goal posts on the deal but the player is now pushing for the move. 

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, Cicero said:

He's joining. Atletico tried shifting the goal posts on the deal but the player is now pushing for the move. 

Who will he kick out of your team? Cracking player hope he does well.

Strange one for Chelsea considering Kovacic is having to make do with a sub role when Kante is fit, and why would Saul want the move in that case, suppose it’s a win win situation for them though since it’s just a loan with option.

49 minutes ago, DNA said:

Strange one for Chelsea considering Kovacic is having to make do with a sub role when Kante is fit, and why would Saul want the move in that case, suppose it’s a win win situation for them though since it’s just a loan with option.

Lots of games mate. I'll probably jinx it now for him but Jorginho is barely ever injured, on the fitness front Kovacic is relatively reliable throughout a season but does pick up injuries here and there. With just them two and Kanté, for squad purposes we probably need one more. I remember at times under Tuchel last season there were situations where two of those three simply had to play as one of them was out injured (normally the latter two) or suspended or whatever in games where they could have been rested due to a lack of a ready alternative. I remember at times Kanté playing in games where he could have been wrapped in cotton wool and saved for example. Chalobah can play there but I imagine Tuchel and the club want a more experienced name. At least we're not spunking 35M on someone like Drinkwater to fill the role. 

If it ends up being the four of Kanté, Jorginho, Kovacic and Saúl, all will get plenty of playing time because of the amount of games, injuries, suspensions etc. I think it also allows more flexibility to manage Kanté and save him when needed. The three we have at the moment are all performing well so hopefully it would give Saúl a kick up the backside as well.

13 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Lots of games mate. I'll probably jinx it now for him but Jorginho is barely ever injured, on the fitness front Kovacic is relatively reliable throughout a season but does pick up injuries here and there. With just them two and Kanté, for squad purposes we probably need one more. I remember at times under Tuchel last season there were situations where two of those three simply had to play as one of them was out injured (normally the latter two) or suspended or whatever in games where they could have been rested due to a lack of a ready alternative. I remember at times Kanté playing in games where he could have been wrapped in cotton wool and saved for example. Chalobah can play there but I imagine Tuchel and the club want a more experienced name. At least we're not spunking 35M on someone like Drinkwater to fill the role. 

If it ends up being the four of Kanté, Jorginho, Kovacic and Saúl, all will get plenty of playing time because of the amount of games, injuries, suspensions etc. I think it also allows more flexibility to manage Kanté and save him when needed. The three we have at the moment are all performing well so hopefully it would give Saúl a kick up the backside as well.

The deal looks in the balance with Atletico wanting it as a loan with a buy at the end of the season and we want the loan with an option to buy so we will either abandon it or somehow it will get pushed over the line after further wrangling.. 

1 hour ago, JoshBRFC said:

Who will he kick out of your team? Cracking player hope he does well.

DONE DEAL. Loan with Option to Buy. 

@JoshBRFC

We will likely see a combination of midfield pairings this season. As Luke alluded to, Kante, Kovacic, and Jorginho were ran to the ground last season with Tuchel not having that much trust in Gilmour. Jorginho of the three is the only reliable one. Kovacic has injuries here and there, but Kante has a reoccurring ankle and hamstring issue that will likely keep him sidelined a lot. I did say a while back that Kante needs to be carefully managed this season.  

The glaring thing Saul offers compared to our other three midfielders is a being a goal threat from midfield. Think if he regains his form he'd be an incredible asset that I hope we end up purchasing. 

5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

DONE DEAL. Loan with Option to Buy. 

Nice.. 

6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Chelsea don't need him, just hoovering up the market as usual. 

xD I think you will find over the course of the season it was wise for us to get some extra cover in there... 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

If they really wanted him they would buy him outright.

Agree they don't need him but I'm guessing Chelsea (somehow) might want to pay the full asking price from Atletico for a permanent transfer but are happy with a loan at the moment? And Atletico get a player off their own books for a season and may look to sell next summer? 

• The title was changed to Saul Niguez Moves to Chelsea on Loan

Archived