• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Turkey will stop teaching evolution in schools

Recommended Posts

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/23/turkey-will-stop-teaching-evolution-schools-education-ministry/

Quote

Turkish schoolchildren will no longer be taught about evolution, a government official has said, in another sign of the conservative direction the country is heading in under President Recep Tayyip Erdogan

Alpaslan Durmus, the head of curriculum for the ministry of education, said that Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution was “controversial” and would be removed from school programmes by 2019. 

“We have excluded controversial subjects for students at an age unable yet to understand the issues’ scientific background,” Mr Durmus said.  

“As the students at ninth grade are not endowed with antecedents to discuss the ‘Origin of Life and Evolution’ section in biology classes, this section will be delayed until undergraduate study.”

But remember kids: "Only a small, extremist minority don't believe in evolution" and "Only deluded racists believe in Islamisation".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact is that evolution is controversial to be honest and not proven in its entirety. For example the situation with Homo Sapiens has been proved to be incorrect for some time now.

But it is radical to eliminate it from the curriculum as it can be updated everytime there is a major change in new findings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evolution is more proven than some man in the heavens judging our livelihood. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

For example the situation with Homo Sapiens has been proved to be incorrect for some time now.

Are you talking about the question where the first humanoid came from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet more evidence that humanity is slowly regressing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, True Bender said:

Are you talking about the question where the first humanoid came from?

I'm talking about a part of the evolution theory on how humans evolved. Originally they thought it was from Neanderthals to Homo Sapiens and then they scrapped that. In recent years they can't even get the Homo Sapien evolution progress correct with the right timescales and geo movements. 

Remember that the theory is a theory for a reason. It isn't fact mate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I'm talking about a part of the evolution theory on how humans evolved. Originally they thought it was from Neanderthals to Homo Sapiens and then they scrapped that. In recent years they can't even get the Homo Sapien evolution progress correct with the right timescales and geo movements. 

Remember that the theory is a theory for a reason. It isn't fact mate. 

I can understand this idea thought process, however it is more proven than any other idea. You can see the changes in animals from century to century so why not humans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I'm talking about a part of the evolution theory on how humans evolved. Originally they thought it was from Neanderthals to Homo Sapiens

When did "they" think that and who's they? A majority? That must have been a long time ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, nudge said:

Evolution is both. Observable genetic changes in organisms over time is a fact. The theory part is providing explanations on how, why and when such changes occur. So in a scientific context, evolution is both a theory AND a fact - and as any proper scientific theory, it's being constantly updated whenever new evidence ("facts") emerges, as natural science is always a work in progress. 

This. Updates on details don't change the validity of the key mechanisms like natural selection and genetic drift by random mutation.

If you feed a theory with insufficient/false empirical data and get the wrong result, you cannot conclude that the theory must be wrong.

Just like you can't identify a logical fallacy, if you are working with false premises.

 

A scientific theory isn't  like a theory on why Marco Reus always gets injured right before a EC/WC.

For instance quantum mechanics & -electromedynamics have not been disproven by an experiment despite the remarkable predictive capabilities of the mathematical model. Yet it's refered to as "quantum theory", not "quantum fact".

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've study evolution in high school considering that i am from a 'extremist islamic' country.Don't like the decision nor i would like something in my country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Somewhere, Bill Nye the science guy is face palming

Lol you mean the Bill NYE the Tv presenter who wears a lab coat? Any scientific person suggestions that genetics is defined by social identification rather than the scientifically proven chromosomes is a fucking charlatan. It may have been his production company that forced his hand but I don't see a real scientist worth their salt letting that shit fly. 

On topic what do people expect? Religion being used for mind control, I can't believe it. And cosying up to this shit show because of the need for Turkish cash for shame. 200 years from now the only way to advance socially in Europe will be to wrap yourself in a bet sheet and call yourself an "imam" the continent is dead. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Lol you mean the Bill NYE the Tv presenter who wears a lab coat? Any scientific person suggestions that genetics is defined by social identification rather than the scientifically proven chromosomes is a fucking charlatan. It may have been his production company that forced his hand but I don't see a real scientist worth their salt letting that shit fly. 

On topic what do people expect? Religion being used for mind control, I can't believe it. And cosying up to this shit show because of the need for Turkish cash for shame. 200 years from now the only way to advance socially in Europe will be to wrap yourself in a bet sheet and call yourself an "imam" the continent is dead. 

. He also is known for is controversial religious beliefs due to his personal view on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El_Loco said:

2017 Turkey is the new 1979 Iran. 

 

This. So much this.

It's very sad tbh. To see a fairly secular society decide to take steps backwards.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Evolution is both. Observable genetic changes in organisms over time is a fact. The theory part is providing explanations on how, why and when such changes occur. So in a scientific context, evolution is both a theory AND a fact - and as any proper scientific theory, it's being constantly updated whenever new evidence ("facts") emerges, as natural science is always a work in progress. 

Saying "evolution is only a theory" shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the scientific definition of a theory. The theory of gravity is universally accepted... we're not seeing people running around saying they should be able to fly around like superman because "gravity is only a theory."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The slow death of moderate views and open mindedness continues in Turkey. We'll look back on these days in the future as the pre cursor to ... well fuck knows but I hope nothing horrendous  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cicero said:

Somewhere, Bill Nye the science guy is face palming

Nah, if it becomes popular enough he'll jump on the bandwagon. Professional belly-acher that man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Cicero said:

Somewhere, Bill Nye the science guy is face palming

Bill Nye is a retarded fraud

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Panflute said:

Bill Nye is a retarded fraud

Bill Nye, The (Social) Science Guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, El_Loco said:

Bill Nye, The (Social) Science Guy. 

Bill Nye, The (((Social))) Science Guy. 

 

 

:ph34r:

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2017 at 3:31 PM, Batard said:

The slow death of moderate views and open mindedness continues in Turkey. We'll look back on these days in the future as the pre cursor to ... well fuck knows but I hope nothing horrendous  

I think they're planning on doing to the Kurds what they did to the Armenians 100 odd years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think they're planning on doing to the Kurds what they did to the Armenians 100 odd years ago.

That's not a problem...  Kurds aren't worth anything to the West and are literally pawns in a bigger picture of inter-culture conflicts.  Does the West really care about the Kurds?  I haven't seen anything substantial and that dictator and war criminal will do what he wants while the West licks his arse in private.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

That's not a problem...  Kurds aren't worth anything to the West and are literally pawns in a bigger picture of inter-culture conflicts.  Does the West really care about the Kurds?  I haven't seen anything substantial and that dictator and war criminal will do what he wants while the West licks his arse in private.

So genocide is okay then?!

Fucking hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

So genocide is okay then?!

Fucking hell.

No mate!  Genocide isn't ok and I think you're putting words into my mouth.

I am all for the Kurdish plight, more so including than others that are more in the media.  My wording on "Kurds aren't worth anything" is a kick in the arse of Western policies because the Kurdish plight which is older than even the Palestinian one has always been kept in the background.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

No mate!  Genocide isn't ok and I think you're putting words into my mouth.

I am all for the Kurdish plight, more so including than others that are more in the media.  My wording on "Kurds aren't worth anything" is a kick in the arse of Western policies because the Kurdish plight which is older than even the Palestinian one has always been kept in the background.

You did say "that's not a problem" to a Kurd centric repeat of the Armenian genocide (which Kurds we're actually victims of as well) - so it's an easy mistake to make.

I'm worried about the direction the world is heading. It's not just Turkey that is building a rabid anti-science a political environment and more religious political environment. And now opinions are given the same weight as facts, even when untrue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You did say "that's not a problem" to a Kurd centric repeat of the Armenian genocide (which Kurds we're actually victims of as well) - so it's an easy mistake to make.

I'm worried about the direction the world is heading. It's not just Turkey that is building a rabid anti-science a political environment and more religious political environment. And now opinions are given the same weight as facts, even when untrue. 

I did day that about the connection between what Turkey done to the Armenians and what's been occurring with the Kurdish plight...  But it was sarcastic because the Kurdish problem is a hidden one politically and the Palestinian issue has been taken more into the mainstream for obvious reasons connected to the ongoing anti-semite sentiments so many have. It's now become almost fashionable to be anti jew!

I know quite a bit about the Kurdish issue and its history.  I've mentioned it o the other forum in the past and how it's been ignored.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of the kurds, I saw yesterday a video on how yazidis are treated in Kurdistan. It is very hard to differenciate what is propaganda from what is true in some parts of the Middle East, but I what I saw is  not a nice look to the kurds. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's amazing that Turkey got gifted a leader like Mustafa Kemal and are now so happily destroying his legacy and reverting to being a typical anti-intellectual, anti-constitutional, islamist hellhole. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement