talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Has Cristiano Ronaldo been a force of good for United?

Ronnie yay or nay  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Has ronaldo provided a net positive to Manchester United as a team this season.

• Yes, the Portuguese (sexual) predator has been a shining light amidst a fog of mediocrity
    • No. No change would have been better than bringing in Ronaldo. I want my money back.

In terms of on pitch performance only, putting shirt sales, dressing room drama aside, has Ronaldo been worth the 30 mil paid for him plus the bonkers wages?

I just read that united have gone from being the team that pressed the 5th most in the attacking 3rd last season... to 17th this season. That is a shocking stat, and Ronaldo surely shoulders the blame there. Do the doubles and hattricks against relegation fodder make up for the breakdown of the entire way united grinded out some success last season?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Has Cristiano Ronaldo been a force of good for United?

I wouldnt say he's been a "force of good" but i think theyd be in a worse position without him.

The issue with Cristiano Ronaldo is that the impact of both Bruno Fernandes and Jadon Sancho diminishes significantly to cater for him. However had Ronaldo not signed they'd have nobody to play in that position given how Cavani's minutes have been managed and Greenwood (quite rightly) had to be written off half way through the season. Seeing him score 10-15 goals for Man City to help them win the league would have been unbearable for United fans too.

That said, if the scenario did present itself this summer to move Ronaldo on to PSG so they have there 'All Star Front Three' five years too late and replace him with Haaland I wouldn't think for more than half a second over whether it would be the right thing to do. I don't forsee any Manager coming in to United and being successful whilst the likes of Paul Pogba and Cristiano Ronaldo are at the club.

They would definitely be worse without him but when you see last season's impactful players (Rashford, Bruno, etc) looking a shadow of their former selves you do question what impact Ronaldo has in the dressing room and their overall style of play. 

Do I believe they are worse without Ronaldo? Yes

Do I believe they would've been better off using the Ronaldo money to purchase a DM? Yes 

• Subscriber

The problem with Ronaldo is that he doesn't fit into any system other than the "get the ball to 7" system that is employed with Portugal.  Modern coaches want to implement their own team-based style of play and the one-man show is fast becoming (or has already become) the dinosaur tactic.  You can't develop a tactic for a team and let one guy off the hook to do whatever he wants.  That attitude will permeate throughout the entire squad.

Ronaldo is a world class player playing in a bang average United side and their levels of performance compared to his is just something he has not been used to... He has bound to have been frustrated with their overall performances and lack of effort as a team. They have been woefully short of the mark in a lot of games and he has probably been very vocal about it.. Without him I am not sure where they might have ended up so think he has been good for them but it's going to take a lot more than that to drag this United side back to being entertaining and competitive again.. 

3 hours ago, Coma said:

The problem with Ronaldo is that he doesn't fit into any system other than the "get the ball to 7" system that is employed with Portugal.  Modern coaches want to implement their own team-based style of play and the one-man show is fast becoming (or has already become) the dinosaur tactic.  You can't develop a tactic for a team and let one guy off the hook to do whatever he wants.  That attitude will permeate throughout the entire squad.

It was interesting watching Portugal I also felt they were being held up by him.

It is not that he is not talented just that it kills the teams flow and creativity to have him as the sole focus.

• Subscriber

Force for good is pushing it but he isn't anywhere close to their biggest problem. The others have been far worse than him. If he's a problem then god knows what some of the others are.

Love the guy, think he's produced the goods enough but he's been the trigger of the meltdown in my opinion.

Not because of his ability or personality. The reason for me is the fact we've had to totally centre our game around supplying Ronaldo and he demands to start every game.

Any dregs of a team were destroyed at that point. Buffon said exactly the same about his time at Juve, you can't take anything away from Ronaldo because he's brilliant at what the does but his decline has made whatever team he plays for focus on supplying him. They lose their ability to be play as a team. 

Unfortunately this added to the fact we have a bunch of overrated mercenaries have seen us go from second last season to go knows where in the league this season.

Everyone is pointing out how Ronaldo being the whole gameplan has ruined the teams offence in a way, but again I can't stress enough how United went from being a top 5 pressing team in defense to bottom 5 with that 1 personnel change. Yes, individually he has performed, but he's ruined the team. No doubt. 

2 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Everyone is pointing out how Ronaldo being the whole gameplan has ruined the teams offence in a way, but again I can't stress enough how United went from being a top 5 pressing team in defense to bottom 5 with that 1 personnel change. Yes, individually he has performed, but he's ruined the team. No doubt. 

Or maybe Mason Rapewood was more important than we thought? Maybe his rape energy scared opposition players on a subconscious level, like some of reverse rapey dead zone

• Subscriber

I'd be intrigued to see the pressing stats in the games he hasn't played.

There's a valid argument about him being detrimental to their pressing but I just refuse to absolve the others of the garbage they've served up. There's no way he's more at fault than say Rashford or Maguire.

6 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

When we last played them, no Ronaldo on the pitch and no pressing beyond one player pressing at a time.

I’m not sure he can be fully blamed for them being shite.

38 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

When we last played them, no Ronaldo on the pitch and no pressing beyond one player pressing at a time.

I’m not sure he can be fully blamed for them being shite.

That's 1 sample game, and a game where I imagine the coach would have directed the team NOT to press. 

But watching random other games, I notice Rashford doesn't press, Sancho does, Bruno doesn't. 

• Subscriber

I love the Ronaldo of old but nowadays he is not the same, we would have been better off investing money into someone else much younger but we have pricks as owners in the Glazers and all they were interested in is the commercial side of things and an old man in Fergie biting their ears off to sign him again.

Ronaldo and Rooney together were great to watch...

6 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

That's 1 sample game, and a game where I imagine the coach would have directed the team NOT to press. 

But watching random other games, I notice Rashford doesn't press, Sancho does, Bruno doesn't. 

They never press as a team, at least not this season

They have such a bloated squad, is anyone surprised? They keep shifting who the team is built around. Once it looked like Rashford,  then Di Maria, then it was Pogba, then it was Bruno Fernades, then they bring back old man Cronaldo. 

They should have just built the team around Pogba nearly a decade ago but instead they just get whatever player and whatever manager. There is no cohesion to how the team is designed. 

Archived